Anyone MTB'ed in Majorca?

Mike

Guest
Hi All

Five of us are off to Majorca in April taking our bikes with us, with the help of Easyjet.

Anyone been there.. hoping to use hostel type accomodation.

What about packing bikes. I know it is probably been done to death, but are there any updates?

Cheers Mike
- - - - Mike Peters

[email protected] Drop the DROPME to reply by Email

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All
>
> Five of us are off to Majorca in April taking our bikes with us, with the help of Easyjet.
>
> Anyone been there.. hoping to use hostel type accomodation.
>
> What about packing bikes. I know it is probably been done to death, but are there any updates?

Phone EJ and tell them you intend to bring them naked, bars turned, no pedals -- OK?

If they argue fight back, This is the best way.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All
>
> Five of us are off to Majorca in April taking our bikes with us, with the help of Easyjet.

easyjet have changed their t&c's with regard to carrying bikes. when i booked in december, i emailed
them to find out what the score was with bikes, to be told i was ok with up to 25kg total luggage
including bike.

now there site say's you can have 20kg of normal stuff (cases etc) and 10kg of 'sporting equipment'.
over which they'll charge you £4/kg.

golf clubs, of course, don't apply. don't you just hate golfers.

i've sent them another enquiry, stating that i presume their t&c's at the time of booking still
apply. waiting for response.

no chance they'll be filming 'airline' the day we fly will there. big argument at check in when they
attempt to charge, and i produce a copy of their email.

> easyjet have changed their t&c's with regard to carrying bikes. when i booked in december, i
> emailed them to find out what the score was with bikes, to be told i was ok with up to 25kg total
> luggage including bike.
>
> now there site say's you can have 20kg of normal stuff (cases etc) and 10kg of 'sporting
> equipment'. over which they'll charge you £4/kg.

Didnt someone post last six months saying there were new agreed airline regs for the transport of
bikes. Cant trace anything at the moment.

I went to Mallorca last November with Go (owned by EasyJet) and did the following:

Removed pedals (remember to make sure that you can take them off before you leave home - (left hand
pedal, left hand thread)). Covered frame (including forks, head tube and stays) in pipe insulation,
with zip ties to keep it on. Let down the tyres somewhat. Zip tied a small piece of plywood (about
the size of a piece of A4) over the deurailler.

One of our team didn't zip tie the pipe insulation on - got a scratched frame. One of our team
didn't use pipe insulation - bike intact Neither of these two protected the deurailler - they both
arrived intact

We did see one of the baggage handlers trying to ride one of the bikes (with no pedals and flat
tyres) as they loaded them onto the plane...

Don't know anything about MTBing in Mallorca - we were there for the roads.

news:<[email protected]>...

Bert Smith wrote:
> We did see one of the baggage handlers trying to ride one of the bikes (with no pedals and flat
> tyres) as they loaded them onto the plane...

Damn. Remove the saddle! I packaged my bike in a cardboard box (used for a new bike; get one out of
the trash of your LBS), wheels next to it in the box, foam at strategic places. No harm. Don't
forget to insert a little stick/piece of styrofoam between the forks if you remove the wheels (or
they may get bent. AARRGHH, bent!).

E.