Anyone on a RANS Fusion?

Carol Cohen

Guest
The RANS Fusion (on their website) looks good, and I've wanted a bike that allows me to stand on the
pedals on the New England uphills; but know of nobody who has a Fusion. I'd be interested to hear
from anyone who has ridden one. A few days ago I looked over a Giant Revive at a LBS (feh!) -- this
is a joke bike. The Fusion looks like it works. Does it ride well?

Also, has anyone gotten one and upgraded the gears, brakes etc.? The list price of $775 is a good
start, but the gear inch ratio etc. could be improved.

C.C. Rider 2000 Toureasy

Originally posted by Carol Cohen
The RANS Fusion (on their website) looks good, and I've wanted a bike that allows me to stand on the
pedals on the New England uphills; [...]

I don't think you can really stand on the pedals on a Fusion. I think you can on the nealy upright Vision V70, but these things come with regular bike seats. I think the Fusion seat is more comfortable.

Johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

Originally posted by Carol Cohen
The RANS Fusion (on their website) looks good, and I've wanted a bike that allows me to stand on the
pedals on the New England uphills; but know of nobody who has a Fusion. I'd be interested to hear
from anyone who has ridden one. A few days ago I looked over a Giant Revive at a LBS (feh!) -- this
is a joke bike. The Fusion looks like it works. Does it ride well?

Also, has anyone gotten one and upgraded the gears, brakes etc.? The list price of $775 is a good
start, but the gear inch ratio etc. could be improved.

C.C. Rider 2000 Toureasy

I just talked a local shop in Portland into ordering one to test ride.
When I ride it I'll let you know. I'm ready to try something new and I'm leaning towards an EZ Sport Limited but the fusion looks cool! Surprised no one else is excited about it but that's why I call myself wierd uncle AL. I think I'm out there. (drive a VW bus and an ECHO)

Originally posted by wierd uncle AL
I just talked a local shop in Portland into ordering one to test ride.
When I ride it I'll let you know. I'm ready to try something new and I'm leaning towards an EZ Sport Limited but the fusion looks cool! Surprised no one else is excited about it but that's why I call myself wierd uncle AL. I think I'm out there. (drive a VW bus and an ECHO)
[/QUOT

Im looking at a fusion tomorrow near trenton NJ. I already own an Ez Sport and an ECHO too. And I used to be a VW mechamic. Are you on the Edmunds Echo forum?

"echo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Originally posted by wierd uncle AL I just talked a local shop in Portland into ordering one to
> test ride. When I ride it I'll let you know. I'm ready to try something new and I'm leaning
> towards an EZ Sport Limited but the fusion looks cool! Surprised no one else is excited about
> it but that's why I call myself wierd uncle AL. I think I'm out there. (drive a VW bus and an
> ECHO) [/QUOT
>
> Im looking at a fusion tomorrow near trenton NJ. I already own an Ez Sport and an ECHO too. And I
> used to be a VW mechamic. Are you on the Edmunds Echo forum?

Hi Echo.

Like Weird Uncle Al I think the Fusion looks cool too, but I want to know how it rides. We've had a
couple of ride reports claiming they are a blast to ride around the parking lot at the store. But
what I'm trying to get, without success, is a report from someone who has done a 20 mile ride with a
few hills.

See if you can take the Fusion out for at least an hour of riding and then do a ride report back to
this newsgroup. Compare it to your EZ Sport.

I have a GF who owns an Echo. I don't think there's a better automotive value anywhere. Since you
use Echo as a nickname it would seem you like yours too.

thanks.

skip

I have owned and rode every RANS bike that they have made in the last 7 years or so including the
Fusion. Friends and I ride around the Beaver Lake area of NW Arkansas. Anyone who has rode in NW
Arkansas knows that it has its share of hills and steep ones at that. I'm a RANS dealer and got a
Fusion in and could not resist riding it on some of our local rides that include a lot of climbing
and some very fast downhills. I can tell you that the bike is reasonably fast, and may be faster
than some of the other RANS bikes, stable at high speed. With standard gearing you can climb just
about any hill you want or would climb with any other recumbent, I gear my riders down but not the
Fusion. Matter of fact I think it climbs better than most and it is amazing how much power you can
get to the pedal/stoke. It takes a might of dialing in and at first you tend to get the seat angled
down to far, or sit to high on the back of the seat but as you adjust to the bike it is comforable
and you can ride a good distance before the seat becomes an ever so slight pain in the butt. Even
then it is not bad. I thought back pain might be a problem with it but not so. You cannot stand and
pedal on the bike but you can pull hard enough on the bars to put a lot of pressure on the pedals or
do a wheelie at will. I sold the one I had and ordered another which I'm currently setting up. You
are welcome to email me on the side, [email protected] or call me toll free at
866-726-7245 for additional info on the Fusion. I have around 350 miles of experience with the
Fusion and it is fun and pleasantly different. Kelly

Kelly wrote:

> I have owned and rode every RANS bike that they have made in the last 7 years or so...

So everyone who has purchased what they thought was a new RANS bike in the last 7 years was actually
getting a used bike ridden and owned by Kelly? ;)

"Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] or call me toll free at 866-726-7245 for additional info on the
> Fusion. I have around 350 miles of experience with the Fusion and it is fun and pleasantly
> different. Kelly

Thanks Kelly. I seem to always be looking for something fun pleasantly different.

skip

[

Hi Echo.

I have a GF who owns an Echo. I don't think there's a better automotive value anywhere. Since you
use Echo as a nickname it would seem you like yours too.

No fusion ride for me today something else has come up for me to do. As far as the ECHO goes however you have stirred me up! (sorry for the non bicycle content!) Because my ECHO sits high in the air it is supreamly easy to get in and out of, maybe the easiest on the market. It is plenty roomy inside and is comfortable to sit in. The cd player sound is awesome!. The car handles extremely quickly and as you would imagine, is childs play to park in the city, or anywhere else for that matter. The eninge is powerful for a small car...quite powerful enough that when a couple of SUVs decided to chase me after nearly coliding with me while racing each other the other night on the way home from work, I was able to elude them on residentioal streets. They could not keep up with me! The car gets 40 mpg driving 7 miles to and from work...I think its a sleeper green car...far better than a Prious which gets 45 mpg and costs twice as much. (I paid $13k bottom line for the ECHO) The PERFECT car IMHO.

echo wrote:

> [
> >
> Hi Echo.
>
> I have a GF who owns an Echo. I don't think there's a better automotive value anywhere. Since you
> use Echo as a nickname it would seem you like yours too.
>
> No fusion ride for me today something else has come up for me to do. As far as the ECHO goes
> however you have stirred me up! (sorry for the non bicycle content!) Because my ECHO sits high in
> the air it is supreamly easy to get in and out of, maybe the easiest on the market. It is plenty
> roomy inside and is comfortable to sit in. The cd player sound is awesome!. The car handles
> extremely quickly and as you would imagine, is childs play to park in the city, or anywhere else
> for that matter. The eninge is powerful for a small car...quite powerful enough that when a couple
> of SUVs decided to chase me after nearly coliding with me while racing each other the other night
> on the way home from work, I was able to elude them on residentioal streets. They could not keep
> up with me! The car gets 40 mpg driving 7 miles to and from work...I think its a sleeper green
> car...far better than a Prious which gets 45 mpg and costs twice as much. (I paid $13k bottom line
> for the ECHO) The PERFECT car IMHO.

Unfortunately, it is stupidly available in the US only as a 4-door sedan instead of the more
practical hatchback [1]. The hatchback version is available in countries other than the US (sold in
Europe as the Toyota Yaris).

[1] Hatchbacks and station wagons are much better for carrying recumbent bicycles and trikes inside.

"echo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [
> >
> Hi Echo.
>

> I have a GF who owns an Echo. I don't think there's a better automotive value anywhere. Since you
> use Echo as a nickname it would seem you like yours too.
>
> No fusion ride for me today something else has come up for me to do. As far as the ECHO goes
> however you have stirred me up! (sorry for the non bicycle content!) Because my ECHO sits high in
> the air it is supreamly easy to get in and out of, maybe the easiest on the market. It is plenty
> roomy inside and is comfortable to sit in. The cd player sound is awesome!. The car handles
> extremely quickly and as you would imagine, is childs play to park in the city, or anywhere else
> for that matter. The eninge is powerful for a small car...quite powerful enough that when a couple
> of SUVs decided to chase me after nearly coliding with me while racing each other the other night
> on the way home from work, I was able to elude them on residentioal streets. They could not keep
> up with me! The car gets 40 mpg driving 7 miles to and from work...I think its a sleeper green
> car...far better than a Prious which gets 45 mpg and costs twice as much. (I paid $13k bottom line
> for the ECHO) The PERFECT car IMHO.

Look at this....*ECHO*.....We've got an automotive Tom Sherman here (inside joke ECHO about a guy
who insists that we capitalize all the letters in Rans - think nothing of it). I agree with
everything you say. GF looked at the Prious (sp?) and concluded the ECHO was a much better value and
greener too. And as you say it's quite speedy.

You saw Kelly's post didn't you. He compares the Fusion favorably to other RANS bikes. I'll still be
interested in hearing your take on it.

skip

Tom you are everywhere! Got 35 miles in today on a V-Rex with 3 friends and my 15 year old Grandson.
Amusing riding with a 15 yo! My friend and I are huffing and puffing up this godzilla hill and this
15 yo is riding a diamond frame heavy weight with one hand, eating a corn snack with the other and
talking to us in between. Heck we did not have enough wind left to engage in conversation. Kelly

> Kelly wrote:
> >
> > I have owned and rode every RANS bike that they have made in the last 7 years or so...
>
> So everyone who has purchased what they thought was a new RANS bike in the last 7 years was
> actually getting a used bike ridden and owned by Kelly? ;)
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Wait a minute...I finished my chores in time to make it to Trenton to ride the Fusion..and I bought it. It really is best described as a cross between a conventional bike and a recumbent. It is FAR easier to start than any recumbent I have owned (V45, BikeE, Easy Sport) You are much less concerned about falling over than on a recumbent. It is much faster than a low bracket recumbent like the Bike E and the Easy Sport. Havnt put my Mitty 3 on it yet, but I just rode it over my 14 mile loop and im betting its exactly in between my conventional bicycle and the Easy Sport in terms of avg speed. (conventional bike equal 12.2 Easy Sport equal 8.0) In terms of stability its more stabil than a conventional bicycle! Far more stabil that the Easy Sport. It reminds my of my Honda 80cc scooter. VERY impressive in turns. The goofy seat mount is definately not a deflection issue as I weigh 250 lbs. It does not have brazeons for water bottles...a serious ommission. Also it has presta valves which I HATE...they will be changed over to Schrader first thing I do. Im hoping I can mount a rack on it...it looks possible.
All in all possibly a revolution in recumbent design. As all recumbents not as good uphill as a conventional , but better handling downhill and very nearly was fast on the level. A super recumbent, Iwould say.

Hello group and thank you for the interesting posts!
I just took the family to Vancouver, BC area from Portland in the ECHO. It was loaded, AC on and cruising at 80 as much as possible. Result: >39mpg! You can pick up a great used one for 7K. FYI: The new Scion Xa (CA only) has the exact same engine & drivetrain. I drove one and it handles/rides even better and has a hatchback. Might make it my next car.
As to the Fusion; Still no word from my local shop but I'm really excited to hear the reviews. I need a new bike for our Sept. biking vacation on the Gulf Islands and Victoria.
[no bottle bracket!!] Are you kidding me? What a stupid omission.
Kelly, is there a way to mount a bottle? Rack?
Thanks again for all the recent feedback.
55 yr. old grampa of 3 and wierd uncl AL in the NW

[no bottle bracket!!] Are you kidding me? What a stupid omission.
Kelly, is there a way to mount a bottle? Rack?

Im thinking of drilling and tapping the back of the handlebar stem for a bottle bracket. I have a rack on order from bike nashbar and Ill report how the mounting goes. Dont know where else you could put a bracket on this bike.

echo wrote:

> Wait a minute...I finished my chores in time to make it to Trenton to ride the Fusion..and I
> bought it. It really is best described as a cross between a conventional bike and a recumbent. It
> is FAR easier to start than any recumbent I have owned (V45, BikeE, Easy Sport) You are much less
> concerned about falling over than on a recumbent....

I believe that a recumbent trike would be even easier to start and stay balanced on. ;)

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Blue Earth Cycles Dragonflyer :)

echo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [no bottle bracket!!] Are you kidding me? What a stupid omission. Kelly, is there a way to mount a
> bottle? Rack?
>

> Im thinking of drilling and tapping the back of the handlebar stem for a bottle bracket. I have a
> rack on order from bike nashbar and Ill report how the mounting goes. Dont know where else you
> could put a bracket on this bike.

Minoura (spelling?) and Two Fish make it easy to mount water bottle cages on the handle bar stem or
most any other round tube on the frame with braze ons. Both are available from the Hostel Shoppe.

http://www.hostelshoppe.com

Edward Wong Orlando, FL