Anyone on a RANS Fusion?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Carol Cohen, May 22, 2003.

  1. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    The RANS Fusion (on their website) looks good, and I've wanted a bike that allows me to stand on the
    pedals on the New England uphills; but know of nobody who has a Fusion. I'd be interested to hear
    from anyone who has ridden one. A few days ago I looked over a Giant Revive at a LBS (feh!) -- this
    is a joke bike. The Fusion looks like it works. Does it ride well?

    Also, has anyone gotten one and upgraded the gears, brakes etc.? The list price of $775 is a good
    start, but the gear inch ratio etc. could be improved.

    C.C. Rider 2000 Toureasy

    Tags:

  2. John Riley

    John Riley New Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    I don't think you can really stand on the pedals on a Fusion. I think you can on the nealy upright Vision V70, but these things come with regular bike seats. I think the Fusion seat is more comfortable.

    Johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

  3. wierd uncle AL

    wierd uncle AL New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2003
    I just talked a local shop in Portland into ordering one to test ride.
    When I ride it I'll let you know. I'm ready to try something new and I'm leaning towards an EZ Sport Limited but the fusion looks cool! Surprised no one else is excited about it but that's why I call myself wierd uncle AL. I think I'm out there. (drive a VW bus and an ECHO)

  4. echo

    echo New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003

  5. Skip

    Skip Guest

    "echo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by wierd uncle AL I just talked a local shop in Portland into ordering one to
    > test ride. When I ride it I'll let you know. I'm ready to try something new and I'm leaning
    > towards an EZ Sport Limited but the fusion looks cool! Surprised no one else is excited about
    > it but that's why I call myself wierd uncle AL. I think I'm out there. (drive a VW bus and an
    > ECHO) [/QUOT
    >
    > Im looking at a fusion tomorrow near trenton NJ. I already own an Ez Sport and an ECHO too. And I
    > used to be a VW mechamic. Are you on the Edmunds Echo forum?

    Hi Echo.

    Like Weird Uncle Al I think the Fusion looks cool too, but I want to know how it rides. We've had a
    couple of ride reports claiming they are a blast to ride around the parking lot at the store. But
    what I'm trying to get, without success, is a report from someone who has done a 20 mile ride with a
    few hills.

    See if you can take the Fusion out for at least an hour of riding and then do a ride report back to
    this newsgroup. Compare it to your EZ Sport.

    I have a GF who owns an Echo. I don't think there's a better automotive value anywhere. Since you
    use Echo as a nickname it would seem you like yours too.

    thanks.

    skip

  6. Kelly

    Kelly Guest

    I have owned and rode every RANS bike that they have made in the last 7 years or so including the
    Fusion. Friends and I ride around the Beaver Lake area of NW Arkansas. Anyone who has rode in NW
    Arkansas knows that it has its share of hills and steep ones at that. I'm a RANS dealer and got a
    Fusion in and could not resist riding it on some of our local rides that include a lot of climbing
    and some very fast downhills. I can tell you that the bike is reasonably fast, and may be faster
    than some of the other RANS bikes, stable at high speed. With standard gearing you can climb just
    about any hill you want or would climb with any other recumbent, I gear my riders down but not the
    Fusion. Matter of fact I think it climbs better than most and it is amazing how much power you can
    get to the pedal/stoke. It takes a might of dialing in and at first you tend to get the seat angled
    down to far, or sit to high on the back of the seat but as you adjust to the bike it is comforable
    and you can ride a good distance before the seat becomes an ever so slight pain in the butt. Even
    then it is not bad. I thought back pain might be a problem with it but not so. You cannot stand and
    pedal on the bike but you can pull hard enough on the bars to put a lot of pressure on the pedals or
    do a wheelie at will. I sold the one I had and ordered another which I'm currently setting up. You
    are welcome to email me on the side, [email protected] or call me toll free at
    866-726-7245 for additional info on the Fusion. I have around 350 miles of experience with the
    Fusion and it is fun and pleasantly different. Kelly

    "skip" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "echo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Originally posted by wierd uncle AL I just talked a local shop in Portland into ordering one to
    > > test ride. When I ride it I'll let you know. I'm ready to try something new and I'm leaning
    > > towards an EZ Sport Limited but the fusion looks cool! Surprised no one else is excited about it
    > > but that's why I call myself wierd uncle AL. I think I'm out there. (drive a VW bus and an ECHO)
    > > [/QUOT
    > >
    > > Im looking at a fusion tomorrow near trenton NJ. I already own an Ez Sport and an ECHO too. And
    > > I used to be a VW mechamic. Are you on the Edmunds Echo forum?
    > >
    > Hi Echo.
    >
    > Like Weird Uncle Al I think the Fusion looks cool too, but I want to know how it rides. We've had
    > a couple of ride reports claiming they are a blast to ride around the parking lot at the store.
    > But what I'm trying to get, without success, is a report from someone who has done a 20 mile ride
    > with a few hills.
    >
    > See if you can take the Fusion out for at least an hour of riding and then do a ride report back
    > to this newsgroup. Compare it to your EZ Sport.
    >
    > I have a GF who owns an Echo. I don't think there's a better automotive value anywhere. Since you
    > use Echo as a nickname it would seem you like yours too.
    >
    > thanks.
    >
    > skip

  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Kelly wrote:

    > I have owned and rode every RANS bike that they have made in the last 7 years or so...

    So everyone who has purchased what they thought was a new RANS bike in the last 7 years was actually
    getting a used bike ridden and owned by Kelly? ;)

  8. Skip

    Skip Guest

    "Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] or call me toll free at 866-726-7245 for additional info on the
    > Fusion. I have around 350 miles of experience with the Fusion and it is fun and pleasantly
    > different. Kelly

    Thanks Kelly. I seem to always be looking for something fun pleasantly different.

    skip

  9. echo

    echo New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    [

    Hi Echo.

    I have a GF who owns an Echo. I don't think there's a better automotive value anywhere. Since you
    use Echo as a nickname it would seem you like yours too.

    No fusion ride for me today something else has come up for me to do. As far as the ECHO goes however you have stirred me up! (sorry for the non bicycle content!) Because my ECHO sits high in the air it is supreamly easy to get in and out of, maybe the easiest on the market. It is plenty roomy inside and is comfortable to sit in. The cd player sound is awesome!. The car handles extremely quickly and as you would imagine, is childs play to park in the city, or anywhere else for that matter. The eninge is powerful for a small car...quite powerful enough that when a couple of SUVs decided to chase me after nearly coliding with me while racing each other the other night on the way home from work, I was able to elude them on residentioal streets. They could not keep up with me! The car gets 40 mpg driving 7 miles to and from work...I think its a sleeper green car...far better than a Prious which gets 45 mpg and costs twice as much. (I paid $13k bottom line for the ECHO) The PERFECT car IMHO.

  10. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    echo wrote:

    > [
    > >
    > Hi Echo.
    >
    > I have a GF who owns an Echo. I don't think there's a better automotive value anywhere. Since you
    > use Echo as a nickname it would seem you like yours too.
    >
    > No fusion ride for me today something else has come up for me to do. As far as the ECHO goes
    > however you have stirred me up! (sorry for the non bicycle content!) Because my ECHO sits high in
    > the air it is supreamly easy to get in and out of, maybe the easiest on the market. It is plenty
    > roomy inside and is comfortable to sit in. The cd player sound is awesome!. The car handles
    > extremely quickly and as you would imagine, is childs play to park in the city, or anywhere else
    > for that matter. The eninge is powerful for a small car...quite powerful enough that when a couple
    > of SUVs decided to chase me after nearly coliding with me while racing each other the other night
    > on the way home from work, I was able to elude them on residentioal streets. They could not keep
    > up with me! The car gets 40 mpg driving 7 miles to and from work...I think its a sleeper green
    > car...far better than a Prious which gets 45 mpg and costs twice as much. (I paid $13k bottom line
    > for the ECHO) The PERFECT car IMHO.

    Unfortunately, it is stupidly available in the US only as a 4-door sedan instead of the more
    practical hatchback [1]. The hatchback version is available in countries other than the US (sold in
    Europe as the Toyota Yaris).

    [1] Hatchbacks and station wagons are much better for carrying recumbent bicycles and trikes inside.

  11. Skip

    Skip Guest

    "echo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > [
    > >
    > Hi Echo.
    >

    > I have a GF who owns an Echo. I don't think there's a better automotive value anywhere. Since you
    > use Echo as a nickname it would seem you like yours too.
    >
    > No fusion ride for me today something else has come up for me to do. As far as the ECHO goes
    > however you have stirred me up! (sorry for the non bicycle content!) Because my ECHO sits high in
    > the air it is supreamly easy to get in and out of, maybe the easiest on the market. It is plenty
    > roomy inside and is comfortable to sit in. The cd player sound is awesome!. The car handles
    > extremely quickly and as you would imagine, is childs play to park in the city, or anywhere else
    > for that matter. The eninge is powerful for a small car...quite powerful enough that when a couple
    > of SUVs decided to chase me after nearly coliding with me while racing each other the other night
    > on the way home from work, I was able to elude them on residentioal streets. They could not keep
    > up with me! The car gets 40 mpg driving 7 miles to and from work...I think its a sleeper green
    > car...far better than a Prious which gets 45 mpg and costs twice as much. (I paid $13k bottom line
    > for the ECHO) The PERFECT car IMHO.

    Look at this....*ECHO*.....We've got an automotive Tom Sherman here (inside joke ECHO about a guy
    who insists that we capitalize all the letters in Rans - think nothing of it). I agree with
    everything you say. GF looked at the Prious (sp?) and concluded the ECHO was a much better value and
    greener too. And as you say it's quite speedy.

    You saw Kelly's post didn't you. He compares the Fusion favorably to other RANS bikes. I'll still be
    interested in hearing your take on it.

    skip

  12. Kelly

    Kelly Guest

    Tom you are everywhere! Got 35 miles in today on a V-Rex with 3 friends and my 15 year old Grandson.
    Amusing riding with a 15 yo! My friend and I are huffing and puffing up this godzilla hill and this
    15 yo is riding a diamond frame heavy weight with one hand, eating a corn snack with the other and
    talking to us in between. Heck we did not have enough wind left to engage in conversation. Kelly

    > Kelly wrote:
    > >
    > > I have owned and rode every RANS bike that they have made in the last 7 years or so...
    >
    > So everyone who has purchased what they thought was a new RANS bike in the last 7 years was
    > actually getting a used bike ridden and owned by Kelly? ;)
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

  13. echo

    echo New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    Wait a minute...I finished my chores in time to make it to Trenton to ride the Fusion..and I bought it. It really is best described as a cross between a conventional bike and a recumbent. It is FAR easier to start than any recumbent I have owned (V45, BikeE, Easy Sport) You are much less concerned about falling over than on a recumbent. It is much faster than a low bracket recumbent like the Bike E and the Easy Sport. Havnt put my Mitty 3 on it yet, but I just rode it over my 14 mile loop and im betting its exactly in between my conventional bicycle and the Easy Sport in terms of avg speed. (conventional bike equal 12.2 Easy Sport equal 8.0) In terms of stability its more stabil than a conventional bicycle! Far more stabil that the Easy Sport. It reminds my of my Honda 80cc scooter. VERY impressive in turns. The goofy seat mount is definately not a deflection issue as I weigh 250 lbs. It does not have brazeons for water bottles...a serious ommission. Also it has presta valves which I HATE...they will be changed over to Schrader first thing I do. Im hoping I can mount a rack on it...it looks possible.
    All in all possibly a revolution in recumbent design. As all recumbents not as good uphill as a conventional , but better handling downhill and very nearly was fast on the level. A super recumbent, Iwould say.

  14. echo

    echo New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    PS....ECHO is how Toyota spells it.

  15. Skip

    Skip Guest

  16. echo

    echo New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    No the $100 had nothing to do with it.

  17. wierd uncle AL

    wierd uncle AL New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2003
    Hello group and thank you for the interesting posts!
    I just took the family to Vancouver, BC area from Portland in the ECHO. It was loaded, AC on and cruising at 80 as much as possible. Result: >39mpg! You can pick up a great used one for 7K. FYI: The new Scion Xa (CA only) has the exact same engine & drivetrain. I drove one and it handles/rides even better and has a hatchback. Might make it my next car.
    As to the Fusion; Still no word from my local shop but I'm really excited to hear the reviews. I need a new bike for our Sept. biking vacation on the Gulf Islands and Victoria.
    [no bottle bracket!!] Are you kidding me? What a stupid omission.
    Kelly, is there a way to mount a bottle? Rack?
    Thanks again for all the recent feedback.
    55 yr. old grampa of 3 and wierd uncl AL in the NW

  18. echo

    echo New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    [no bottle bracket!!] Are you kidding me? What a stupid omission.
    Kelly, is there a way to mount a bottle? Rack?

    Im thinking of drilling and tapping the back of the handlebar stem for a bottle bracket. I have a rack on order from bike nashbar and Ill report how the mounting goes. Dont know where else you could put a bracket on this bike.

  19. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    echo wrote:

    > Wait a minute...I finished my chores in time to make it to Trenton to ride the Fusion..and I
    > bought it. It really is best described as a cross between a conventional bike and a recumbent. It
    > is FAR easier to start than any recumbent I have owned (V45, BikeE, Easy Sport) You are much less
    > concerned about falling over than on a recumbent....

    I believe that a recumbent trike would be even easier to start and stay balanced on. ;)

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Blue Earth Cycles Dragonflyer :)

  20. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    echo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [no bottle bracket!!] Are you kidding me? What a stupid omission. Kelly, is there a way to mount a
    > bottle? Rack?
    >

    > Im thinking of drilling and tapping the back of the handlebar stem for a bottle bracket. I have a
    > rack on order from bike nashbar and Ill report how the mounting goes. Dont know where else you
    > could put a bracket on this bike.

    Minoura (spelling?) and Two Fish make it easy to mount water bottle cages on the handle bar stem or
    most any other round tube on the frame with braze ons. Both are available from the Hostel Shoppe.

    http://www.hostelshoppe.com

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL