Anyone on an Xtracycle?

beckirk

Nov 17, 2003
I am looking at getting an Xtracycle to put on to my Touring/Commuting bike. I am concerned about the extra weight... Just wanted some honest user opinions on the modification.

Thanks,

Kirk

I've had my xtracycle for two years and its the best bit of cycling kit I've ever owned, much better than a trailer especially offroad. As far as the weigh issue goes when it's unloaded I can't say I really notice it. the only real difference it makes to the bike in everyday use, is that the steering becomes a bit slower because of the longer wheel base, but you soon adjust to that.

I had a Marin Muirwoods commuter bike with an Xtracycle - it was great. However, for touring I went with the Surly Long Haul Trucker with front and rear panniers. The Xtracycle is wonderful for carrying big loads or going grocery shopping but here in the big city (San Francisco) the extra length can be a problem - it makes it harder to carry up and down winding staircases, harder to lock up, and not as good for extreme evasive maneuvers (for one thing you can't bunnyhop or wheelie). I also think the loaded touring bike handles much better when descending in the mountains due to the more evenly distributed weight. The main reason to get an Xtracycle is the ability to carry more weight or longer items easier (or a passenger)- if you wanted to tour with a surfboard, a kayak, or a cooler full of beer, then it would be the best choice. Otherwise, good old fashioned panniers work fine.