Anyone on this forum build/rebuild there own bicycle?

jedblack

Sep 16, 2003
just wondering... i am starting. My first project will be to build out a colnago with 04 campy record

it doesnt seem to hard, so long as you have the all the correct tools and manuals

Originally posted by jedblack
just wondering... i am starting. My first project will be to build out a colnago with 04 campy record

it doesnt seem to hard, so long as you have the all the correct tools and manuals

There's a few special tools you'll need.

you'll need a bottom bracket installation tool and a lockring tool for the cassette.

I'd recommend taking your fork to the local bike shop to have the fork crown race installed. You can do it yourself if you heat up the crown race with a torch to make it expand and then pound it on the fork with a mallet or a long piece of pipe, but you risk damaging the fork crown race if you overheat it or ding it in the process.

I'm assuming you have an integrated style headset. If it's an old style headset then the head tube races need to be pressed in as well.

Originally posted by Mr_Potatohead
There's a few special tools you'll need.

you'll need a bottom bracket installation tool and a lockring tool for the cassette.

I'd recommend taking your fork to the local bike shop to have the fork crown race installed. You can do it yourself if you heat up the crown race with a torch to make it expand and then pound it on the fork with a mallet or a long piece of pipe, but you risk damaging the fork crown race if you overheat it or ding it in the process.

I'm assuming you have an integrated style headset. If it's an old style headset then the head tube races need to be pressed in as well.
Campy uses the same tool for BB and casette. The crown race stuff is the biggest bunch of BS I ever heard. HS cups go in with a block of wood and a hammer.

When I did mine I used the block of wood and hammer trick with out any problems at all. It was the most fun project and let me tell you, there was a lot of learning involved. But I know my bike and I know how and why it works. Good luck with yours.

I used a block of wood and brass mallet to install the headset. Works fine, but be sure that the cups go in straight. If they get off center and you keep hammering, things can get ugly.

Other than that, assembling a cycle is pretty straightforward. I built up my own bike about a year and a half ago - Trek Y-Foil with Campy Chorus. As personal as a cycle can become, selecting the components and building it yourself makes it even more personal.

Buy a torque wrench if you haven't already. I have both the Park Tool wrenchs and they work great for bikes. You'll need a hex bit socket set also so you can properly torque all of the hex bolts.

Have Fun,
David

Buy a torque wrench if you haven't already. I have both the Park Tool wrenchs and they work great for bikes. You'll need a hex bit socket set also so you can properly torque all of the hex bolts.

Have Fun,
David

hey all,

thanks for your replies, ok... so i really broke the bank on this one .... here what i got

1. Bentley/Barnnett manual(yeah, the 4billion page book)
2. Park PK-57 toolset pro
3. Park PRS-3 OS repair stand

Pop always taught me when it comes to tools... "buy the best you can afford". Cant say i really could afford these, but i know the cheap stuff will break down sooner of latter and i will end up spending even more (the frugall man always pays more)

so heres is what i'm building

Colnago super steel frame/fork form the 70's
Campy '04 groupo

I dont think i will need the wood/malet for the headset cups, because the park kit looks like it includes the press kit to do the job.

question....

where can i get the cups? and bearings as well... i am assuming the groupo and bike frame isnt going to come with them....

does the campy threaded headset come with the cups? if so... then i just need bearings(for the rest of the bike).... right?

also... can i use a threadless headset with this older frame? or do i need to go with the 1" threaded heatset?( i want to use a carbon w/ alum steerer fork)

Thanks for all the help guys... its a really cool(and assuring) thing to be able ot repair and build your own ride !!! :)

When you buy the gruppo, it should list everything that comes with it. I think most groups include the headset--which means cups, bearings, races, etc. I just built up a Fondriest with Campy Chorus--incredible ride!!!

I don't know about the threadless headset part-sorry.

Building it up will be fun. Just remember that if you're putting something together or tightening something and it just feels "not quite right"---it probably isn't. Use your gut instincts (and that manual). I'm an auto tech, and feeling how something is going together is a big part of doing something right. (I know--guys aren't supposed to care about "feelings".)

Can't wait to hear how the ride is!!!

Peace

Cam

Oh yeah...and I agree about the tools. Good quality tools are a must. A tool that breaks in the middle of the job, or that damages your bike because it's a POS, is nothing short of hateful. Almost as bad is using a tool wrong, or the wrong tool for the job, and getting ****** at yourself for doing the damage. That toolset you got will be something to be proud of---I'm jealous.

Peace

Cam

oh yeah ... most definatly....

i will keep this post up2date as i go along... and hopefully have Q-n-A

I can say one thing for sure... it will be unlike nothing anyone has seen... fully customized... really really sexy bad a$$ machine

hey all,

thanks for your replies, ok... so i really broke the bank on this one .... here what i got

1. Bentley/Barnnett manual(yeah, the 4billion page book)
2. Park PK-57 toolset pro
3. Park PRS-3 OS repair stand

Pop always taught me when it comes to tools... "buy the best you can afford". Cant say i really could afford these, but i know the cheap stuff will break down sooner of latter and i will end up spending even more (the frugall man always pays more)

so heres is what i'm building

Colnago super steel frame/fork form the 70's
Campy '04 groupo

I dont think i will need the wood/malet for the headset cups, because the park kit looks like it includes the press kit to do the job.

question....

where can i get the cups? and bearings as well... i am assuming the groupo and bike frame isnt going to come with them....

does the campy threaded headset come with the cups? if so... then i just need bearings(for the rest of the bike).... right?

also... can i use a threadless headset with this older frame? or do i need to go with the 1" threaded heatset?( i want to use a carbon w/ alum steerer fork)

Thanks for all the help guys... its a really cool(and assuring) thing to be able ot repair and build your own ride !!! :)
Numbers 1,2 were a total waste of money. But enjoy anyway.HS come with cups. Certainly you can use a threadles HS. Haven't you read barnnettes yet? A carbon fork on a 70s Colnago?? You gotta be kidding. The rear triangle will need to be spread for current hub width. If it's 120 it will need to be 130,and if you have chrome stays,worry about the chorme cracking with that much spread.

btw, i dont see where the waste of money is for the correct tools and manuals.....

wood and malets .... isnt to precise or professional for someone that would consider themself a avid cyclist....

how was your bike put together.... if the tools were a waste of money?

oh and also,

99.999999% of vintage steel colnago frames have a 125mm rear width... and you can "spring spread" to 130mm and the rear dropout compromise is about 1/3 degree (which is minimal impact of geo/tracking and uneven pressure on the rear axel. but with the right tool you can correct that(but i guess thats a waste of money too)

no chrome here, had the frame sent to colnago in Italy for a customized repaint.... its whats know as a "custom built"