Anyone ordered wheels online

dgarry

New Member
Jan 17, 2005
Just wondering if anyone has ordered wheels from ProBikeKit, TotalCycling or any other cycling website and not being slugged with huge postage costs.
Thanks
David

dgarry wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has ordered wheels from ProBikeKit,
> TotalCycling or any other cycling website and not being slugged with
> huge postage costs.
> Thanks
> David

Hi dgarry,

I've ordered wheels from both PBK and TotalCycling.
The postage was reasonable in both cases and has since
come down. The wheel sets were each under $1,000 so
I didn't get hit with duty/gst etc at customs. They
took less than two weeks to arrive.

Only problem I had was the wheels from PBK were not
the ones on their web-site (they sent the previous
year's model). They offered a full refund, including
postage costs for return or keep them with a %15
discount. I accepted the discount and sold them on
at cost. Hence the wheels from Total!

I'd have no problem ordering wheels from the UK again.

Two of my cycling chums have also got wheels from OS
without incident.

Cheers,
DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

On Aug 8, 1:46 pm, dgarry <dgarry.2uz...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has ordered wheels from ProBikeKit,
> TotalCycling or any other cycling website and not being slugged with
> huge postage costs.
> Thanks
> David
>
> --
> dgarry

I've been trying to bring over from the US a set of wheels that I
bought on eBay. The best freight rate I can find is around US$220
through freightforwarder MYUSA. The rates from USPS, Fedex etc are
$350+. SAD ME! My wheels are in a mate's garage in North Dakota until
someone will carry them back for me. In other words, forget getting
wheels from the US, unless you're going there.

I got a quote from Total Cycling in the UK/Ireland - 12 pounds!

Donga

"dgarry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Just wondering if anyone has ordered wheels from ProBikeKit,
> TotalCycling or any other cycling website and not being slugged with
> huge postage costs.
> Thanks
> David
>

> --
> dgarry

Dang.

dgarry said:
Just wondering if anyone has ordered wheels from ProBikeKit, TotalCycling or any other cycling website and not being slugged with huge postage costs.
Thanks
David

Yep I had not problems ordering my wheels from PBK, arrived quickly as usual and the freight was very reasonable. The US seem to be cracking down and trying to make money out of large shipments, I enquired about something else fairly large from the US and shipping was double the price of the item..!!!

I would certainly order wheels from the UK again without hesitation.

"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> dgarry Wrote:
>> Just wondering if anyone has ordered wheels from ProBikeKit,
>> TotalCycling or any other cycling website and not being slugged with
>> huge postage costs.
>> Thanks
>> David

> Yep I had not problems ordering my wheels from PBK, arrived quickly as
> usual and the freight was very reasonable. The US seem to be cracking
> down and trying to make money out of large shipments, I enquired about
> something else fairly large from the US and shipping was double the
> price of the item..!!!
>
> I would certainly order wheels from the UK again without hesitation.
>

> --
> MikeyOz

I looked at the PBK site just to see if I could beat their prices. Just for
the test I looked at a set of DuraAce 7801 wheels, which PBK has on special.
To match PBK's price, including postage, I'd still make a little (VERY
little!). It wouldn't be out of the question, though.

I've often discounted heavily for special orders; the goods come in and they
go straight out. That means the effective cost is a little less for me -
they don't take up floor space and time to display and sell. If I were to
keep the wheels in stock, I'd effectively lose on matching PBK's price.

Perhaps you should give your LBS a go before assuming PBK is the best. I
could match and not lose (for a special order), and I'm only a little shop.
Bigger shops might do better. At least you get the service and the human
interaction. I reckon that's better than dealing in the glare of a monitor.

I doubt I'd say no to the deal. I might have to, depending on my price from
the supplier, but I reckon it's worth a go. Before I bought my shop I'd
check internet prices too. I'd always give my LBS a go (but didn't wave the
internet price in their face!) and usually spent a few bucks more to keep
the good relationship intact. Many of my customers do the same. They usually
buy from me rather than from the web.

My Bike Shop Guy 2c worth :)

Frank

Plodder said:
My Bike Shop Guy 2c worth :)
Frank

I know what you are saying but I give them more than enough in work I get them to do, parts replacement and general purchases to make up for not buying one set of wheels from them, my LBS is not struggling, lets just put it that way. If it was a smaller shop, it might be different.

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 23:23:46 +0000, Plodder wrote:

> Perhaps you should give your LBS a go before assuming PBK is the best. I
> could match and not lose (for a special order), and I'm only a little
> shop.

I'm not too sure that anyone in Australia is big enough to get the really
good pricing, but it's generally worth an ask. My LBSG knows I won't BS
him about price, and will buy from him if he can get within cooee of the
delivered price. OTOH he's also told me to buy the mail order bits before,
and that he'd be doing the same were he in the market for said bits. Some
stuff is just expensive here.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
I still can't see a wasp without thinking "400K 1W"

On 2007-08-08, Plodder (aka Bruce)
> Perhaps you should give your LBS a go before assuming PBK is the best. I
> could match and not lose (for a special order), and I'm only a little shop.
> Bigger shops might do better. At least you get the service and the human
> interaction. I reckon that's better than dealing in the glare of a monitor.

COM. PUT. ER. WILL. EX! TERM! IN! ATE! YOU!!

--
TimC
The triangle wheel was an improvement upon the square wheel: