Anyone out of shape and late starting their season?

juf2m

Aug 2, 2004
It seems like everyone on this forum is thin, fit, and cycles morning noon and night in all weather. It's very depressing. ;)

My boyfriend and I should have started cycling in early April or maybe sooner, but one thing or another prevented us from starting until yesterday! :eek: We are fat and out of shape.

Anyone else want to join an out of shape support group? LOL!

juf2m said:
It seems like everyone on this forum is thin, fit, and cycles morning noon and night in all weather. It's very depressing. ;)

My boyfriend and I should have started cycling in early April or maybe sooner, but one thing or another prevented us from starting until yesterday! :eek: We are fat and out of shape.

Me. I'm still acting like it's early December. :(

juf2m said:
Count me in. I just did my first ride of the season yesterday. I'm not exactly fat, as I've been running stairs for two months and lost 10 pounds. My excuse was waiting for my new bike to arrive. For the rest of the season my excuse can be breaking in the new bike.

Not fat, but certainly out of shape. The gap between the xc ski and cycling seasons hit me pretty hard this year. Plus the weather hasn't really been aligning itself with my schedule lately. It seems whenever I get a day off from work it's cold and raining, and to be honest I just don't care enough to ride in 40 degree rain. Fortunately my semester ends next week and I can be much more flexible about work times.

I'm sitting at about 500 miles so far. I was just starting to feel like I was coming out of my winter slug-dom when the cold weather came back. We got 4 inches of snow on Sunday, and now it's upper 40s/low 50s and rain. Argh!

juf2m said:
I'd join your group, but since I'm your boyfriend, it probably means that I'm already a member by default. :(

I've dropped my layer of winter hibernation blubber (~10 lbs) in the last several weeks. Definitely loose the motivation during the 10-40 degree winter months 'round here...training indoors suuuuuucks. :rolleyes: No you're not alone!

Brad1711 said:
Out of shape and haven't even had a ride yet this year. :eek:
I have been working crazy hours building wheels for others to ride and cant ride myself. Also the weather has been crazy, Snow in late April.

"It's very depressing. Only if you're not riding!"

I heard that! I've been off the bike for three due to a wreck and can definately tell I'm sliding down the endorphin deficit trail.

This p.m. I'm going to pretend I am healed and ride a nice slow easy pace group ride so I can get out of the slump. Add some cash to the endorphin bank.

Wish me luck.

JG

I have gotten in 2,000 miles so far and I am just now coming into form, I rode a top 10 finish in a race last month and I am aiming at top five in the junior field this Saturday. I am going to go with the fast group tonight.

cydewaze said:
I'd join your group, but since I'm your boyfriend, it probably means that I'm already a member by default. :(

I am certainly out of shape, haven't ridden my bike in weeks. I am planning on doing a couple of extended rides, maybe a century if I get in shape. I am in my middle 50's and need to get more active. What part of MD do you live. I grew up in Aberdeen....

Doug

djrocker257 said:
I am certainly out of shape, haven't ridden my bike in weeks. I am planning on doing a couple of extended rides, maybe a century if I get in shape. I am in my middle 50's and need to get more active. What part of MD do you live. I grew up in Aberdeen....

Doug
We live in Damascus. It's in Mont Co, about 45 min to 1 hr north of DC.

Not out of shape, but certainly not in top shape yet. The weather is finally good around here so I feel I can start pushing things a bit. Of course my first race is this weekend so we'll see how that goes.

juf2m said:

Wow! this strangly sounds like my boyfriend and I! :) I'd join your support group! Write me some mail: sandie @ sandierox.com

i envy you, starting the season with fresh legs!
i think i had my best ride in february...

juf2m said:

I've gotten in 29 hours/ 542 miles so far in '05.

It's been a very sparatic (sp) riding schedule due to exams and just general college stuff, but I consider it weak for training for races in the near future...

Sometimes you just gotta make time for the things you are passionate about.