Anyone out there ever use a TearraCycle chain idler?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by John Knez, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. John Knez

    John Knez Guest

    I'm doing a bit of maintenance on my Burley Django for the coming
    cycling season, and one of the items needing replacement is the chain
    idler. I normally go through 1 to 2 of the solid rubber ones per year,
    and I was looking for something that didn't wear out so often. One
    alternative I located is the TerraCycle chain idler. While a little
    pricey, it seems like it might be more durable than what I've been
    using. From the web page, http://www.terracycle.com/idlers.htm, it
    looks to be well designed. Anyone out there ever use one of these? If
    you did, how durable was it? Oh, and the noise level, was it quiet?

    ---
    John Knez

    Tags:

  2. Steve Katona

    Steve Katona Guest

    John Knez wrote:
    > I'm doing a bit of maintenance on my Burley Django for the coming
    > cycling season, and one of the items needing replacement is the chain
    > idler. I normally go through 1 to 2 of the solid rubber ones per year,
    > and I was looking for something that didn't wear out so often. One
    > alternative I located is the TerraCycle chain idler. While a little
    > pricey, it seems like it might be more durable than what I've been
    > using. From the web page, http://www.terracycle.com/idlers.htm, it
    > looks to be well designed. Anyone out there ever use one of these? If
    > you did, how durable was it? Oh, and the noise level, was it quiet?
    >
    > ---
    > John Knez

    Durable I don't know as I only have 500 miles on mine. All reports I
    found (sorry, I've lost the links) are that it's exceptionally durable.
    Quiet? Yes. Improvement in 'the feel' is unmistakable though it is not
    quantifiable. I replaced my Rans Stratus XP 'what I think is a modified
    roller blade wheel' with the TerraCycle.

  3. enrique

    enrique Guest

    I have a Django, too. If you end up installing this component, please
    share with the group how it has worked out over time.

  4. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    "John Knez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > I'm doing a bit of maintenance on my Burley Django for the coming
    > cycling season, and one of the items needing replacement is the chain
    > idler. I normally go through 1 to 2 of the solid rubber ones per year,
    > and I was looking for something that didn't wear out so often. One
    > alternative I located is the TerraCycle chain idler. While a little
    > pricey, it seems like it might be more durable than what I've been
    > using. From the web page, http://www.terracycle.com/idlers.htm, it
    > looks to be well designed. Anyone out there ever use one of these? If
    > you did, how durable was it? Oh, and the noise level, was it quiet?
    >
    > ---
    > John Knez

    I use their titanium idler, its worked great for the last 10,000 miles and
    does not seem to add noise on my baron

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    John Knez wrote:
    > I'm doing a bit of maintenance on my Burley Django for the coming
    > cycling season, and one of the items needing replacement is the chain
    > idler. I normally go through 1 to 2 of the solid rubber ones per year,
    > and I was looking for something that didn't wear out so often. One
    > alternative I located is the TerraCycle chain idler. While a little
    > pricey, it seems like it might be more durable than what I've been
    > using. From the web page, http://www.terracycle.com/idlers.htm, it
    > looks to be well designed. Anyone out there ever use one of these? If
    > you did, how durable was it? Oh, and the noise level, was it quiet?
    >
    > ---
    > John Knez

    There's plenty of comments on 'Bentrideronline:
    http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=14691

    I went on a ride with 8 other recumbent riders today. Of those, 6 had
    Terracycle idlers on their bikes (mostly Easy Racer bikes, but one Ti
    Bacchetta).

    Jeff