Anyone out there ever use a TearraCycle chain idler?

John Knez

Guest
I'm doing a bit of maintenance on my Burley Django for the coming
cycling season, and one of the items needing replacement is the chain
idler. I normally go through 1 to 2 of the solid rubber ones per year,
and I was looking for something that didn't wear out so often. One
alternative I located is the TerraCycle chain idler. While a little
pricey, it seems like it might be more durable than what I've been
using. From the web page, http://www.terracycle.com/idlers.htm, it
looks to be well designed. Anyone out there ever use one of these? If
you did, how durable was it? Oh, and the noise level, was it quiet?

---
John Knez

John Knez wrote:
> I'm doing a bit of maintenance on my Burley Django for the coming
> cycling season, and one of the items needing replacement is the chain
> idler. I normally go through 1 to 2 of the solid rubber ones per year,
> and I was looking for something that didn't wear out so often. One
> alternative I located is the TerraCycle chain idler. While a little
> pricey, it seems like it might be more durable than what I've been
> using. From the web page, http://www.terracycle.com/idlers.htm, it
> looks to be well designed. Anyone out there ever use one of these? If
> you did, how durable was it? Oh, and the noise level, was it quiet?
>
> ---
> John Knez

Durable I don't know as I only have 500 miles on mine. All reports I
found (sorry, I've lost the links) are that it's exceptionally durable.
Quiet? Yes. Improvement in 'the feel' is unmistakable though it is not
quantifiable. I replaced my Rans Stratus XP 'what I think is a modified
roller blade wheel' with the TerraCycle.

I have a Django, too. If you end up installing this component, please
share with the group how it has worked out over time.

"John Knez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> I'm doing a bit of maintenance on my Burley Django for the coming
> cycling season, and one of the items needing replacement is the chain
> idler. I normally go through 1 to 2 of the solid rubber ones per year,
> and I was looking for something that didn't wear out so often. One
> alternative I located is the TerraCycle chain idler. While a little
> pricey, it seems like it might be more durable than what I've been
> using. From the web page, http://www.terracycle.com/idlers.htm, it
> looks to be well designed. Anyone out there ever use one of these? If
> you did, how durable was it? Oh, and the noise level, was it quiet?
>
> ---
> John Knez

I use their titanium idler, its worked great for the last 10,000 miles and
does not seem to add noise on my baron

John Knez wrote:
> I'm doing a bit of maintenance on my Burley Django for the coming
> cycling season, and one of the items needing replacement is the chain
> idler. I normally go through 1 to 2 of the solid rubber ones per year,
> and I was looking for something that didn't wear out so often. One
> alternative I located is the TerraCycle chain idler. While a little
> pricey, it seems like it might be more durable than what I've been
> using. From the web page, http://www.terracycle.com/idlers.htm, it
> looks to be well designed. Anyone out there ever use one of these? If
> you did, how durable was it? Oh, and the noise level, was it quiet?
>
> ---
> John Knez

There's plenty of comments on 'Bentrideronline:
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=14691

I went on a ride with 8 other recumbent riders today. Of those, 6 had
Terracycle idlers on their bikes (mostly Easy Racer bikes, but one Ti
Bacchetta).

Jeff