Anyone Own Rudy Project Sunglasses?

jh225

Jul 9, 2004
I'm looking for some new eyewear protection and someone mentioned Rudy Project, so I checked them out today (specifically interested in the Rydon).

I have had many brands and these seem VERY well made with super high tech compounds and parts, but I figured someone would have some real life info.

In comparing the Rudy Projects to let's say Oakley Half Jackets XLJ because they are similar in style and fit, I observed the following.

Rudy Project Pro's...
The Oakley hinges seem downright cheap and flimsy(press fit vs. screws top and bottom)
The Oakley has non adjustable nosepiece vs. fully adjustable.
The Oakley has non adjustable earpiece vs. FULLY adjustable.(you can bend them in a knot if you wanted to)
Better ventilation from fogging on the Rudy.
Warranty appears to be 3 years on frames with a $14.95 fee for lens replacement if scratched vs. no real implied warranty for the Oakleys.

Rudy Project Con's....
Higher priced ($125 vs. $100 non polarized versions)
MUCH harder to find in a store (basically just in exclusive bike stores)
Somewhat unknown company other than in the bicycle world.
MUCH harder to find replacement lenses in different colors from let's say Ebay.

Can't speak as to optics clarity, because I haven't tried them together, but everyone say's Oakley's have the best clarity out there.(they do seem very clear) True or not?

Anyone have any REAL WORLD experience with the Rudy's?

I used to wear the Rudy Project Ekynox. I thought they were good glasses, but I noticed that after about two months of use, a couple sets of lenses that I had seemed to "bubble"--they were not scratches, but more like splotches where the coating came off completely. I sent the lenses back to Rudy Project and received replacements for them free of charge--the spots were deemed manufacturer's defects. After using these for about a year or two, I bought a pair of the Oakley M Frames. I am much happier with my M Frames--more ventilation, MUCH better optics and more comfortable. I do like the adjustability that Rudy glasses gave, but that didn't end up being such a big deal in the end, as Oakleys fit fine too.

I guess the only thing you really lose by going with Rudy is the optics and clarity of the lenses, and as you mentioned the lack of retailers that carry them and their spare lenses and all. Before switching to Oakley, I always heard about "optics" and all that jazz, and never really understood it until I tried on a pair of Oakleys along side my Rudy's--the Oakleys were much more clear and "easier" to see out of. Plus, they make a lens for everything!

I would suggest trying on the Oakley's and if there is something to complain about with fit, then go for the Rudy's. If the Oakley's fit fine, then I say go with them. I prefer the clarity and optics over adjustability of the nose and ears, and availability of Oakleys is far better. Just my .02.

Jeff

Any problem with the lenses Rudy Project will replace for free. They're my favorite glasses. They're harder to find you can't get them at sunglass hut and haven't seen bootlegs on Canal St. yet. So I'm less likely to see myself walking down the street. Clarity is not something you can measure by looking through a lense. What you see is apparent clarity. This can be influenced by lense color angle of lense to your eye and a basket of other stuff. Both are optical quality I suggest you try both on and judge for yourself.

As suggested, I have tried all the Oakley's and was all set to get the Half Jackets when I heard about the Rudy's.

The Oakley's fit fine, but like I said, it is so hard to compare the glasses to each other as no store that carries the Rudy's carries the Oakley's.

From what I can tell, the build quality of the Rudy Project's is much better than the Oakley's, but the optics on the Oakley are better. Short of buying both and then returning one, I am at my wit's end.

I have two pairs of Rudys, the EKYNOX SX and the Kerosene w/ three sets of lenses for both. I absolutely love them. I don't think oakley gives you an adjustable nose peice, but I could be wrong. I have tried smith, oakley (jackets), and some off brands and will always stick with Rudy. Hope this helps.

I think Rudy Projects are great. I just picked up a pair of the Ketyums and love them. www.e-rudy.com has the full line of Rudy Project glasses and gear and great customer service. Their polarized lenses are fabulous on a real sunny day.

Originally posted by jh225
I'm looking for some new eyewear protection and someone mentioned Rudy Project, so I checked them out today (specifically interested in the Rydon).

I have had many brands and these seem VERY well made with super high tech compounds and parts, but I figured someone would have some real life info.

In comparing the Rudy Projects to let's say Oakley Half Jackets XLJ because they are similar in style and fit, I observed the following.

Rudy Project Pro's...
The Oakley hinges seem downright cheap and flimsy(press fit vs. screws top and bottom)
The Oakley has non adjustable nosepiece vs. fully adjustable.
The Oakley has non adjustable earpiece vs. FULLY adjustable.(you can bend them in a knot if you wanted to)
Better ventilation from fogging on the Rudy.
Warranty appears to be 3 years on frames with a $14.95 fee for lens replacement if scratched vs. no real implied warranty for the Oakleys.

Rudy Project Con's....
Higher priced ($125 vs. $100 non polarized versions)
MUCH harder to find in a store (basically just in exclusive bike stores)
Somewhat unknown company other than in the bicycle world.
MUCH harder to find replacement lenses in different colors from let's say Ebay.

Can't speak as to optics clarity, because I haven't tried them together, but everyone say's Oakley's have the best clarity out there.(they do seem very clear) True or not?

Anyone have any REAL WORLD experience with the Rudy's?

I've been using a pair of Rydons all season. Optical clarity is great (Check out the "Racer Red" lenses). The nosepiece is very comfortable and doesn't slip.

I only have 2 minor issues. First, the plastic bows are flat on the part that rests against my head and the edges have a sharp corner. My hair is short above my ears, so after prolonged use, those sharp edges dig into the skin and cause a little irritation. I just need to take the time to take off the sharp edge. Second, I had a bit of difficulty changing the lenses the first and only time I've done it. It seemed like I had to use more force than I would thought I needed to. Despite these 2 items, I love the glasses and would highly recommend them.