Anyone pedal the Cape Cod Canal?

Salesman

Jan 23, 2011
I'm a new cyclist training for a 62 mile ride in July. Just checking to see if anyone hits the canal on a regular basis. I have a lot to learn and am hoping to get some pointers from vets. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Salesman .

I'm a new cyclist training for a 62 mile ride in July. Just checking to see if anyone hits the canal on a regular basis. I have a lot to learn and am hoping to get some pointers from vets. Thanks!

Welcome to forums Salesman. What 62 mile ride are you training for? I live and ride in the south coast of Massachusetts and may be interested in doing a ride in July.
As far as the Cape Cod Canal goes you may find that bike path a little busy due to the high volume of tourist in the area during peak cycling season.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm doing the Alzheimer's Ride for Memory in honor of my mother, who I lost in '08. If you know of any good training runs, or can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Welcome Salesman.

Haven't done the canal in a couple of years, but used to inline skate it regularly. From end to end it is about 7 miles - so about 14 miles round trip. Often frustrating because you can get head winds on the way out and on the way back. Very smooth and well maintained surface (blacktop). As noted it gets very crowded on nice warm days - especially weekends. Start early and it is not too bad - after 10am or so it gets busy, busy - some people wander in fog, not paying attention to bikes and skaters, so you need to be always on the lookout.

There are two paths - one on the north side (Buzzards Bay) and another on the south side of the canal. The south side is a little shorter, but also less busy.

A similar ride (but one that is not closed access) is the East Bay Bike Path starting around India Park in Providence to Bristol, RI. 14+ miles end-to-end - 28/29 mile round trip. Generally less congested than the canal, but still busy in many sections. Again, the earlier the better.

Farther north is the Blackstone Valley path along the Blackstone river - 11 miles end-to-end. Woonsocket, RI to Valley Falls. Eventually the build out of the path will be 48 miles from Worcester, MA to Providence, where it will connect with the East Bay path. Only the Woonsocket- Valley Falls section is complete now.

If you're new to cycling, these are excellent places to start. Cape Cod canal is fully isolated from auto traffic. The Blackstone Trail has a few road crossings. The East Bay path has a number of controlled crossings and side roads.

These are all good places to get you started into cyling. As Sitzmark has stated there will be less traffic earlier in the day.
I am not sure where you live but if it is possible start mapping out rides right from your front door. I find it much more enjoyable if I dont have to pack up my bike and gear every time I take a ride.
I also have a few of these books that have mapped out rides in different areas and I find the rides to be enjoyable and worth packing up for. They also have books for Cape Cod.
http://www.amazon.com/Short-Bike-Rides-Nantucket-Vineyard/dp/0762704365

Originally Posted by sitzmark .

Welcome Salesman.

Haven't done the canal in a couple of years, but used to inline skate it regularly. From end to end it is about 7 miles - so about 14 miles round trip. Often frustrating because you can get head winds on the way out and on the way back. Very smooth and well maintained surface (blacktop). As noted it gets very crowded on nice warm days - especially weekends. Start early and it is not too bad - after 10am or so it gets busy, busy - some people wander in fog, not paying attention to bikes and skaters, so you need to be always on the lookout.

There are two paths - one on the north side (Buzzards Bay) and another on the south side of the canal. The south side is a little shorter, but also less busy.

A similar ride (but one that is not closed access) is the East Bay Bike Path starting around India Park in Providence to Bristol, RI. 14+ miles end-to-end - 28/29 mile round trip. Generally less congested than the canal, but still busy in many sections. Again, the earlier the better.

Farther north is the Blackstone Valley path along the Blackstone river - 11 miles end-to-end. Woonsocket, RI to Valley Falls. Eventually the build out of the path will be 48 miles from Worcester, MA to Providence, where it will connect with the East Bay path. Only the Woonsocket- Valley Falls section is complete now.

If you're new to cycling, these are excellent places to start. Cape Cod canal is fully isolated from auto traffic. The Blackstone Trail has a few road crossings. The East Bay path has a number of controlled crossings and side roads.