anyone rebuilt a Shimano cassette body?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by David Bailey, Apr 4, 2003.

  1. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    My XTR freehub body is running rough and needs to be rebuilt, there is an old Dura Ace tool that
    will open the body up but the in order to remove the metal dust seal I will have to bend it. Has
    anyone serviced these? They are Ti and I don't want to pay for a new one. Any experiences would be
    appreciated.

    Bailes

    Tags:

  2. >My XTR freehub body is running rough and needs to be rebuilt, there is an old Dura Ace tool that
    >will open the body up but the in order to remove the metal dust seal I will have to bend it. Has
    >anyone serviced these? They are Ti and I don't want to pay for a new one. Any experiences would be
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Bailes

    Morningstar makes (made?) a doo hickey called a freehub buddy which allows you to inject fresh
    grease into a Shimano freehub body. You just keep pumping clean grease in until what comes out is
    pretty clean (like a grease guard BB or hub). Try QBP or Loosescrews.

    Cheers,

    -Andrew

  3. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Andrew Thorne wrote:
    >>My XTR freehub body is running rough and needs to be rebuilt, there is an old Dura Ace tool that
    >>will open the body up but the in order to remove the metal dust seal I will have to bend it. Has
    >>anyone serviced these? They are Ti and I don't want to pay for a new one. Any experiences would be
    >>appreciated.
    >>
    >>Bailes
    >>

    > Morningstar makes (made?) a doo hickey called a freehub buddy which allows you to inject fresh
    > grease into a Shimano freehub body. You just keep pumping clean grease in until what comes out is
    > pretty clean (like a grease guard BB or hub). Try QBP or Loosescrews.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > -Andrew

    I used to use synthetic gear oil in it and it worked great! Now, I have a Chris King :).

    David

  4. "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My XTR freehub body is running rough and needs to be rebuilt, there is an old Dura Ace tool that
    > will open the body up but the in order to remove
    the
    > metal dust seal I will have to bend it. Has anyone serviced these? They
    are
    > Ti and I don't want to pay for a new one. Any experiences would be appreciated.
    >
    > Bailes

    freehub buddy

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools.html#freewheel

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  5. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    David Bailey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My XTR freehub body is running rough and needs to be rebuilt, there is an old Dura Ace tool that
    > will open the body up but the in order to remove
    the
    > metal dust seal I will have to bend it. Has anyone serviced these? They
    are
    > Ti and I don't want to pay for a new one. Any experiences would be appreciated.
    >
    > Bailes

    Yea I have used this unit on others cassette bodies but I need to replace the bearings and want to
    really flush the crap out (bought the hubs back in '97)

  6. D T W .../\... wrote:

    > "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>My XTR freehub body is running rough and needs to be rebuilt, there is an old Dura Ace tool that
    >>will open the body up but the in order to remove
    >
    > the
    >
    >>metal dust seal I will have to bend it. Has anyone serviced these? They
    >
    > are
    >
    >>Ti and I don't want to pay for a new one. Any experiences would be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Bailes
    >>

    > freehub buddy
    >

    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools.html#freewheel
    >

    > --

    Bad idea. while it will flush the freehub out well. it isn't good to grease the pawls. it's simple
    to disassemble it and do it right. grease the bearings and oil the pawls. a good thick oil like
    phil's is good, but i've been using a thin polymer (liquid plastic) chain lube the last few years
    and it seems to last longer and have less wear.

    getting the dust cap out can be tough, i made my own puller out of a peice of 'key' stock. 2 bends
    to fit in the hub and a rounded section to go over a 1" dowel for a 'T' handle.