anyone rebuilt a Shimano cassette body?

David Bailey

Guest
My XTR freehub body is running rough and needs to be rebuilt, there is an old Dura Ace tool that
will open the body up but the in order to remove the metal dust seal I will have to bend it. Has
anyone serviced these? They are Ti and I don't want to pay for a new one. Any experiences would be
appreciated.

Bailes

>My XTR freehub body is running rough and needs to be rebuilt, there is an old Dura Ace tool that
>will open the body up but the in order to remove the metal dust seal I will have to bend it. Has
>anyone serviced these? They are Ti and I don't want to pay for a new one. Any experiences would be
>appreciated.
>
>Bailes

Morningstar makes (made?) a doo hickey called a freehub buddy which allows you to inject fresh
grease into a Shimano freehub body. You just keep pumping clean grease in until what comes out is
pretty clean (like a grease guard BB or hub). Try QBP or Loosescrews.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Andrew Thorne wrote:
>>My XTR freehub body is running rough and needs to be rebuilt, there is an old Dura Ace tool that
>>will open the body up but the in order to remove the metal dust seal I will have to bend it. Has
>>anyone serviced these? They are Ti and I don't want to pay for a new one. Any experiences would be
>>appreciated.
>>
>>Bailes
>>

> Morningstar makes (made?) a doo hickey called a freehub buddy which allows you to inject fresh
> grease into a Shimano freehub body. You just keep pumping clean grease in until what comes out is
> pretty clean (like a grease guard BB or hub). Try QBP or Loosescrews.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Andrew

I used to use synthetic gear oil in it and it worked great! Now, I have a Chris King :).

David

"David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My XTR freehub body is running rough and needs to be rebuilt, there is an old Dura Ace tool that
> will open the body up but the in order to remove
the
> metal dust seal I will have to bend it. Has anyone serviced these? They
are
> Ti and I don't want to pay for a new one. Any experiences would be appreciated.
>
> Bailes

freehub buddy

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools.html#freewheel

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

David Bailey <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My XTR freehub body is running rough and needs to be rebuilt, there is an old Dura Ace tool that
> will open the body up but the in order to remove
the
> metal dust seal I will have to bend it. Has anyone serviced these? They
are
> Ti and I don't want to pay for a new one. Any experiences would be appreciated.
>
> Bailes

Yea I have used this unit on others cassette bodies but I need to replace the bearings and want to
really flush the **** out (bought the hubs back in '97)

D T W .../\... wrote:

> "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>My XTR freehub body is running rough and needs to be rebuilt, there is an old Dura Ace tool that
>>will open the body up but the in order to remove
>
> the
>
>>metal dust seal I will have to bend it. Has anyone serviced these? They
>
> are
>
>>Ti and I don't want to pay for a new one. Any experiences would be appreciated.
>>
>>Bailes
>>

> freehub buddy
>

> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools.html#freewheel
>

> --

Bad idea. while it will flush the freehub out well. it isn't good to grease the pawls. it's simple
to disassemble it and do it right. grease the bearings and oil the pawls. a good thick oil like
phil's is good, but i've been using a thin polymer (liquid plastic) chain lube the last few years
and it seems to last longer and have less wear.

getting the dust cap out can be tough, i made my own puller out of a peice of 'key' stock. 2 bends
to fit in the hub and a rounded section to go over a 1" dowel for a 'T' handle.