Anyone recommend a jacket?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by rdk, Aug 17, 2006.

1. rdk

rdk New Member

Can anyone recoomend a shell type jacket up to about $200. Windproof, waterprof, breatheable and able to be folded up very small (ie everything except warmth!). I need something a bit loose, so that rules out Jaggad and Assos - as does cost. I've been looking at Nettis, but I'm just not sure.

Cheers!

Tags:

2. ozelise

ozelise New Member

I use a Pearl Izumi Zephrr Jacket. $139, wouldn't have survived winter without it.

3. sideshow_bob

sideshow_bob New Member

www.groundeffect.co.nz

A co-worker bought one of their jackets at the start of winter and it is sweet. I've got a cheap Spyre jacket which admittedly keeps me dry, but as it doesn't breath, rains on the inside from the sweating.

--brett

4. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

My husband and I use Netti jackets and find they work ok. They pack down to a very small bundle using the back pocket as a bag. They are very windproof and so you will be quite warm. As for waterproofness, they are fine in light drizzle, but in heavier rain, you do get wet underneath (although we find you don't feel cold regardless). The jackets we have are not particularly breathable, so we do get quite hot and sweaty but then we both get hot and sweaty under Gortex, so we have basically given up on breathable fabrics.

5. c00kiemonster

c00kiemonster New Member

I got a fox stormshield jacket of ebay , $100 inc delivery from the usa , waterproof , windproof ect really good lotsa poskets ect

6. Jeytown

Jeytown New Member

man you guys

give your money

flemmmo markets

diesel jacket - $15

water proof
    rain proof
    bright coulour
    dries instanly if you sweat

why bother with all that stuff man

i save 85 serious drinking dollars

7. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

Dude, RDK is in Melbourne so it's going to cost him a bit more than $15 to get a jacket from Flemmo markets.

Although, maybe the Vic market (as in the Queen Victoria Market) would be worth a look - should have similar stuff there.

8. chch_legend

chch_legend New Member

Agree with sideshow_bob, Ground Effect produce some fantastic gear.

I've got a Flash Gordon which I bought a few years ago and it is worth every cent I paid for it. If you want something that is good quality and will last, then this is the dogs bollocks.

9. rdk

rdk New Member

Thanks for the advice. I just had a look at the Flash Gordon and it looks about perfect. Now to find one in Melbourne to try on before buying.

10. rdk

rdk New Member

Seems mailorder only. Just checked: $NZ5 freight to Oz. Not bad.

11. matagi

matagi Well-Known Member

They are pretty good about exchanges if you don't get the size right. While you're at it, you should get a pair of their knicks - they are brilliant!

12. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

13. Jeytown

Jeytown New Member

like whoa man whats with dude ref,:)

okay no probs just cycle up shouldnt take to long..........

overall its a good thing if you can afford those products i simply cant and so ill take my chances on a bright coloured raincoat..

either way cheers

jey"dude"town

or maybe jeydude thats coolerer

14. nitrous

nitrous New Member

I have a Netti jacket with removable arms that is just a shell. Yellow and dark grey on the shoulders. I've only worn it a few times and it is in Immaculate condition. It cost about $185 new and I'll flog it to you for $90. Been meaning to put it on eBay for a while but haven't got around to it.

I don't wear it anymore as I've got myself a bunch of road/team gear that I wear instead.

Size L. I'll take some pix and send them to you if you like.

I live in Glen Iris and could organise drop off or pick up with you if you're keen.

15. rdk

rdk New Member

Thanks for that. I went and tried the exact one today, but unfortunately I need XL. My aim by next winter is to only need a L.

16. nitrous

nitrous New Member

Winter is nearly over, buy mine and hang it next to your bike. The desire to get down to its size by next winter should spur you on in your efforts to drop a few KG's. ;)

Happy riding.