Anyone remember Jeff Dutton from the 1970's? Rode in four TdF's

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve Freides, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:19:26 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Bantel was a British pro team. Here are some races they did.
    >http://www.velo-club.net/article.php?sid=27262
    >
    >You can see their logo on Porter's jersey.
    >http://www.velo-club.net/article?sid=27777
    >
    >I came across this while searching Bantel. Not on point, but fun to look
    >at.
    >http://www.yellowjersey.org/holdsw.html

    Bantel, Holdsworth and Raleigh/Carlton were the 3 main GB pro* teams
    of that period. Bantel wore all black strips and the sprinter "Super"
    Sid Barras rode for them. They were known as the Bantel "Cats" and had
    a roaring lion logo.

    Bantel's excursion to the Tour de Suisse was big news here at the time
    and Barras got a podium behind Freddy Maertens in an early stage.

    He's still riding the odd fattie event

    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/ga...tember/Nocturne/PT1/images/0_Nocturne_017.jpg

    The always classy Hugh Porter is now the BBC's cycling commentator and
    does many national events.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/sep04/tourofbritain/merckx/05_eddy_merckx_and_hugh_porter.jpg

    *they were not "pro" teams in the continental sense - most of the GB
    "pro's" at that time were part-time, some just riding for the bike and
    jersey.

  2. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:19:26 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Bantel was a British pro team. Here are some races they did.
    >>http://www.velo-club.net/article.php?sid=27262
    >>
    >>You can see their logo on Porter's jersey.
    >>http://www.velo-club.net/article?sid=27777
    >>
    >>I came across this while searching Bantel. Not on point, but fun to look
    >>at.
    >>http://www.yellowjersey.org/holdsw.html
    >>

    > Bantel, Holdsworth and Raleigh/Carlton were the 3 main GB pro* teams
    > of that period. Bantel wore all black strips and the sprinter "Super"
    > Sid Barras rode for them. They were known as the Bantel "Cats" and had
    > a roaring lion logo.
    >
    > Bantel's excursion to the Tour de Suisse was big news here at the time
    > and Barras got a podium behind Freddy Maertens in an early stage.
    >
    > He's still riding the odd fattie event
    >
    > http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/ga...tember/Nocturne/PT1/images/0_Nocturne_017.jpg
    >
    > The always classy Hugh Porter is now the BBC's cycling commentator and
    > does many national events.
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/sep04/tourofbritain/merckx/05_eddy_merckx_and_hugh_porter.jpg
    >
    > *they were not "pro" teams in the continental sense - most of the GB
    > "pro's" at that time were part-time, some just riding for the bike and
    > jersey.

    Thanks for the additional information. I vaguely recall the Bantel jersey
    from International CycleSport. Do you have a link to a photo of the jersey?
    Also, what was Bantel?

    A British cycling friend living in NYC in the late 1970s once told me that
    British and pro cyclist were an oxymoron.

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Richard Sachs" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > I'm not disagreeing - his son didn't seem that into cycling and perhaps
    > > that explains some of the confusion as well. I will see Mr. Dutton, the
    > > younger, next Monday evening and get it all straightened out. In the
    > > meantime, I'm enjoying the education here. :)
    > > -S-

    > well here's more useless drivel...
    > hugh porter - the name on those bantel team frames - received
    > an mbe from the queen. or from someone important. dunno. he
    > was mr 5k for years, back when pros rode track. he's married to
    > an olympic (female) swimmer. and he named his house "rivendell".

    What, he didn't call it Sachs?

    > a totally sweet guy.

    Or, if he wanted to keep the Hobbity theme going, he could have called
    it Sackville,

    My house is named House, my dog is named Dog, my VW New Beetle is named
    "The Good Thing."

    -RjC.

  4. "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > *they were not "pro" teams in the continental sense - most of the GB
    > "pro's" at that time were part-time, some just riding for the bike and
    > jersey.

    that's not true.
    back then, the only true pro cyclists in the u.k. were the mail carriers.
    e-RICHIE

  5. On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:34:48 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:19:26 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Bantel was a British pro team. Here are some races they did.
    >>>http://www.velo-club.net/article.php?sid=27262
    >>>
    >>>You can see their logo on Porter's jersey.
    >>>http://www.velo-club.net/article?sid=27777
    >>>
    >>>I came across this while searching Bantel. Not on point, but fun to look
    >>>at.
    >>>http://www.yellowjersey.org/holdsw.html
    >>>

    >> Bantel, Holdsworth and Raleigh/Carlton were the 3 main GB pro* teams
    >> of that period. Bantel wore all black strips and the sprinter "Super"
    >> Sid Barras rode for them. They were known as the Bantel "Cats" and had
    >> a roaring lion logo.
    >>
    >> Bantel's excursion to the Tour de Suisse was big news here at the time
    >> and Barras got a podium behind Freddy Maertens in an early stage.
    >>
    >> He's still riding the odd fattie event
    >>
    >> http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/ga...tember/Nocturne/PT1/images/0_Nocturne_017.jpg
    >>
    >> The always classy Hugh Porter is now the BBC's cycling commentator and
    >> does many national events.
    >>
    >> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/sep04/tourofbritain/merckx/05_eddy_merckx_and_hugh_porter.jpg
    >>
    >> *they were not "pro" teams in the continental sense - most of the GB
    >> "pro's" at that time were part-time, some just riding for the bike and
    >> jersey.

    >Thanks for the additional information. I vaguely recall the Bantel jersey
    >from International CycleSport. Do you have a link to a photo of the jersey?
    >Also, what was Bantel?
    >
    >A British cycling friend living in NYC in the late 1970s once told me that
    >British and pro cyclist were an oxymoron.

    The top guys from that scene like Barras and Les West could have made
    a living on the continent, but probably made enough staying in the UK
    to spare the hassle

    There were about 30-40 GB based "pros" at that time and maybe
    half-a-dozen on the continent (Barry Hoban, Billy Bilsland, Phil
    Edwards)

    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/images/zingo/1972/bantel72.jpg

  6. h squared

    h squared Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:

    > Thanks for the additional information. I vaguely recall the Bantel jersey
    > from International CycleSport. Do you have a link to a photo of the jersey?

    no photo, but have you seen the drawing at
    http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/eq1975.php#GBR
    ?

    heather (parker)

  7. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:34:48 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]

    >>> Bantel, Holdsworth and Raleigh/Carlton were the 3 main GB pro* teams
    >>> of that period. Bantel wore all black strips and the sprinter "Super"
    >>> Sid Barras rode for them. They were known as the Bantel "Cats" and had
    >>> a roaring lion logo.
    >>>
    >>> Bantel's excursion to the Tour de Suisse was big news here at the time
    >>> and Barras got a podium behind Freddy Maertens in an early stage.
    >>>
    >>> He's still riding the odd fattie event
    >>>
    >>> http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/ga...tember/Nocturne/PT1/images/0_Nocturne_017.jpg
    >>>
    >>> The always classy Hugh Porter is now the BBC's cycling commentator and
    >>> does many national events.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/sep04/tourofbritain/merckx/05_eddy_merckx_and_hugh_porter.jpg
    >>>
    >>> *they were not "pro" teams in the continental sense - most of the GB
    >>> "pro's" at that time were part-time, some just riding for the bike and
    >>> jersey.

    >>Thanks for the additional information. I vaguely recall the Bantel jersey
    >>from International CycleSport. Do you have a link to a photo of the
    >>jersey?
    >>Also, what was Bantel?
    >>
    >>A British cycling friend living in NYC in the late 1970s once told me that
    >>British and pro cyclist were an oxymoron.
    >>

    > The top guys from that scene like Barras and Les West could have made
    > a living on the continent, but probably made enough staying in the UK
    > to spare the hassle
    >
    > There were about 30-40 GB based "pros" at that time and maybe
    > half-a-dozen on the continent (Barry Hoban, Billy Bilsland, Phil
    > Edwards)
    >
    > http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/images/zingo/1972/bantel72.jpg

    As yes, black wool jerseys to make one comfortable in summer. Thanks for the
    link. There always were British riders who could have done well, or at least
    had a career, on the continent if they had chosen to do it and stick it out.
    Hoban was probably one of the most successful of his generation to go over.
    Simpson too. Gritty riders. Interesting too that Hoban married Simpson's
    widow.

  8. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

  9. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Richard Sachs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> *they were not "pro" teams in the continental sense - most of the GB
    >> "pro's" at that time were part-time, some just riding for the bike and
    >> jersey.

    > that's not true.
    > back then, the only true pro cyclists in the u.k. were the mail carriers.
    > e-RICHIE

    I read in Cycling + that one of them was fired this year for refusing to
    wear a helmet.

  10. Mike Gladu

    Mike Gladu Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Richard Sachs" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > I'm not disagreeing - his son didn't seem that into cycling and perhaps
    > > that explains some of the confusion as well. I will see Mr. Dutton, the
    > > younger, next Monday evening and get it all straightened out. In the
    > > meantime, I'm enjoying the education here. :)
    > > -S-

    > well here's more useless drivel...
    > hugh porter - the name on those bantel team frames - received
    > an mbe from the queen. or from someone important. dunno. he
    > was mr 5k for years, back when pros rode track. he's married to
    > an olympic (female) swimmer. and he named his house "rivendell".
    >
    > a totally sweet guy.
    >
    > hey - thanks for reading.
    > e-RICHIEĀ©TĀ®

    Agreed. He can be seen each year at the Manchester Velodrome announcing
    the UCI World Track Masters competition

    http://www.cyclingmasters.com

    Mike G.
    -

  11. On 10/19/2005 04:04 PM, in article
    [email protected], "h squared"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > heather (parker)

    Does this mean that your boyfriend is no longer your
    boyfriend???????????????????????????????????????????

    If so, we're all devastated.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  12. On 10/20/2005 06:27 AM, in article BF7CE946.2E049%[email protected],
    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 10/19/2005 04:04 PM, in article
    > [email protected], "h squared"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> heather (parker)

    > Does this mean that your boyfriend is no longer your
    > boyfriend???????????????????????????????????????????
    >
    > If so, we're all devastated.

    And now I've seen another thread, and feel like a complete dumbass.

    But hey, at least I can admit it.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com
    double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [foreword] slash

  13. h squared

    h squared Guest

    Steven L. Sheffield wrote:

    >>Does this mean that your boyfriend is no longer your
    >>boyfriend???????????????????????????????????????????
    >>
    >>If so, we're all devastated.

    > And now I've seen another thread, and feel like a complete dumbass.
    >
    > But hey, at least I can admit it.

    not a dumbass, just momentarily uninformed. anyways, don't worry. even
    if i did get married, i would still be willing to send those videos you
    and your wife so enjoy watching ;)

  14. "h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
    >
    >>>Does this mean that your boyfriend is no longer your
    >>>boyfriend???????????????????????????????????????????
    >>>
    >>>If so, we're all devastated.

    >> And now I've seen another thread, and feel like a complete dumbass.
    >>
    >> But hey, at least I can admit it.

    > not a dumbass, just momentarily uninformed. anyways, don't worry. even
    > if i did get married, i would still be willing to send those videos
    > you and your wife so enjoy watching ;)

    There is no off-topic quite like a Usenet off-topic, is there, now? :)

    -S-

  15. On 10/20/2005 09:17 AM, in article
    [email protected], "h squared"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
    >
    >>> Does this mean that your boyfriend is no longer your
    >>> boyfriend???????????????????????????????????????????
    >>>
    >>> If so, we're all devastated.

    >> And now I've seen another thread, and feel like a complete dumbass.
    >>
    >> But hey, at least I can admit it.

    > not a dumbass, just momentarily uninformed. anyways, don't worry. even
    > if i did get married, i would still be willing to send those videos you
    > and your wife so enjoy watching ;)

    Sweet!

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com
    double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [foreword] slash

  16. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

  17. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Steve McGinty wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:29:15 -0500, Bob Schwartz
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Steve McGinty wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/images/zingo/1972/bantel72.jpg

    >>The rainbow trim would be Porter's, from the Pro 5K Pursuit.
    >>
    >>Bob Schwartz

    > It was the colours all the Bantels rode at that time.
    >
    > I don't remember when former world champs started wearing the rainbow
    > trim, or who started it.

    On further review I see that it isn't official rainbow trim, which
    does not have a white stripe and has a black stripe in the middle.

    Bob Schwartz

  18. bilico

    bilico New Member

    Joined: