Anyone ridden a Giant VT?

Westie

Guest
Having had my Giant flattened by vehicle, I'm toying with the idea of getting a '04 Giant VT1
instead of replacing the pan-caked NRS. I had the carpark-ride on a VT3 the other day and it felt
pretty good.

Has anyone got anything relevant to say about the VT's or will I be the first to guinea pig it? I've
taken what mtbrrrrrreview says with the usual grain of salt.
--
Westie

I'm looking at the VT2 but there selling for 2,900$ I havn't see the VT3 yet nor seen it on any web
site. what's the difference between the VT2-3. I know the VT2 is 24.5 LBs What is the VT3 selling
for? Thanks for any help :) CS "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Having had my Giant flattened by vehicle, I'm toying with the idea of getting a '04 Giant VT1
> instead of replacing the pan-caked NRS. I had the carpark-ride on a VT3 the other day and it felt
> pretty good.
>
> Has anyone got anything relevant to say about the VT's or will I be the first to guinea pig it?
> I've taken what mtbrrrrrreview says with the
usual
> grain of salt.
> --
> Westie

> nor seen it on any web site. what's the difference between the VT2-3. I know the VT2 is 24.5 LBs

Well, the '03 VT2 weighed around 32lb without pedals. I wonder how they've managed to get it down to
24.5lb...:/

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:37:09 +1200, "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Has anyone got anything relevant to say about the VT's or will I be the first to guinea pig it?
>I've taken what mtbrrrrrreview says with the usual grain of salt.

I've got one and several of my riding mates do as well.

Great bike for New England. I don't know where you are or your skills or style, so I don't know if
it's right for you. The geometry my be too slack for some areas.

Mine is modified with a Bomber Z1-FR fork and heavy spring kit, as I hate Rock Shox forks. I've
enjoyed the Crossmax XL's so far. The Scorpions are great tires, but very fast wearing.

Barry

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 11:05:42 +0300, "Juho Huttunen" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> nor seen it on any web site. what's the difference between the VT2-3. I know the VT2 is 24.5 LBs
>
>Well, the '03 VT2 weighed around 32lb without pedals. I wonder how they've managed to get it down
>to 24.5lb...:/

My large '03 VT1 is 27 pounds without pedals, but with a Z1-FR fork. There are plenty of places this
bike could have been made lighter, like the saddle, seat post, and stem. The VT 1 and 2 use the same
frame. Giant has made some changes to the frame and components, so I'm sure this is possible.

I'm also sure they weigh the small frame. <G>

Barry

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> frame. Giant has made some changes to the frame and components, so I'm sure this is possible.

I'm quite sure that it's not possible. You can't save 4-5 pounds by changing the saddle or something
else like that. I'm just saying that most of the top level full suspension xc-racers are around
24-25lb and that Giant is a trailbike. It just can not be as light as 24.5lb. Not that it really
matters, though...;)

B a r r y B u r k e J r . said...

> My large '03 VT1 is 27 pounds without pedals, but with a Z1-FR fork. There are plenty of places
> this bike could have been made lighter, like the saddle, seat post, and stem. The VT 1 and 2 use
> the same frame. Giant has made some changes to the frame and components, so I'm sure this is
> possible.
>
> I'm also sure they weigh the small frame. <G>
>
> Barry

Your scales must be broken. My Titus Loco-Moto weighs close to 28 lbs without pedals with a Fox
Vanilla. None of my other parts are particularly heavy. Just your frame and fork alone would weigh 3
lbs more than mine, possibly more.

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:37:09 +1200, "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Has anyone got anything relevant to say about the VT's or will I be the first to guinea pig it?
> >I've taken what mtbrrrrrreview says with the
usual
> >grain of salt.
>
> I've got one and several of my riding mates do as well.
>
> Great bike for New England. I don't know where you are or your skills or style, so I don't know if
> it's right for you. The geometry my be too slack for some areas.
>
> Mine is modified with a Bomber Z1-FR fork and heavy spring kit, as I hate Rock Shox forks. I've
> enjoyed the Crossmax XL's so far. The Scorpions are great tires, but very fast wearing.
>
> Barry

Thanks Barry I'm in New Zealand - not New England :) The NRS suited me very well for the most part.
I often ride a lot of tarmac and gravel to get to the trails so having the lighter, race styled bike
was nice. I'm 95% XC rider, however some of the riding I was beginning to draw a bead on would have
been a bit much for the NRS. I think that something a little heavier and more robust like the VT1 is
in order. I'm not 100% sure what New England terrain is like, but I suspect that it's probably got a
similar sort of mix as I've got here. My skills are very average - but like everyone,... any excuse
to 'practice'...! Probably my biggest concern is that I'm going to end up with a big weight and
geometry penalty and suddenly find that a 10km ride on tarmac is hell on wheels.
--
Westie

"Splat Graphics" <splatgraphics@"NOSPAM"sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking at the VT2 but there selling for 2,900$ I havn't see the VT3
yet
> nor seen it on any web site. what's the difference between the VT2-3. I know the VT2 is 24.5 LBs
> What is the VT3 selling for? Thanks for any help :) CS

I can't really help with prices. I'm on the other side of the planet from you and the prices are
different here for a variety of different reasons. However, $2900 sounds about right for a VT2. Just
guessing but I'd expect the VT3 will probably be close to $900-1000 cheaper.
--
Westie

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:37:09 -0700, Westie wrote:

> I've taken what mtbrrrrrreview says with the
^^^^^
> usual grain of salt.

Westie, you're late. "Talk Like a Pirate Day" was last Friday.

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

gabrielle

here's where I got the weight from. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/fr/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lY-
ear=2004&bikesection=8793&range=121&mode=rangelist it's in Kg's and i comverted to Lbs.

CS

"gabrielle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:37:09 -0700, Westie wrote:
>
> > I've taken what mtbrrrrrreview says with the
> ^^^^^
> > usual grain of salt.
>
> Westie, you're late. "Talk Like a Pirate Day" was last Friday.
>
> http://www.talklikeapirate.com/
>
> gabrielle

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:37:09 +1200, "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > >Has anyone got anything relevant to say about the VT's or will I be the first to guinea pig it?
> > >I've taken what mtbrrrrrreview says with the
> usual
> > >grain of salt.
> >
> > I've got one and several of my riding mates do as well.
> >
> > Great bike for New England. I don't know where you are or your skills or style, so I don't know
> > if it's right for you. The geometry my be too slack for some areas.
> >
> > Mine is modified with a Bomber Z1-FR fork and heavy spring kit, as I hate Rock Shox forks. I've
> > enjoyed the Crossmax XL's so far. The Scorpions are great tires, but very fast wearing.
> >
> > Barry
>
> Thanks Barry I'm in New Zealand - not New England :) The NRS suited me very well for the most
> part. I often ride a lot of tarmac and gravel to get to the trails so having the lighter, race
> styled bike was nice. I'm 95% XC rider, however some of the riding I was beginning to draw a bead
> on would have been a bit much for the NRS. I think that something a little heavier and more
> robust like the VT1 is in order. I'm not 100% sure what New England terrain is like, but I
> suspect that it's probably got a similar sort of mix as I've got here. My skills are very average
> - but like everyone,... any excuse to 'practice'...! Probably my biggest concern is that I'm
> going to end up with a big weight and geometry penalty and suddenly find that a 10km ride on
> tarmac is hell on wheels.

It sounds like you want to go for more like the Titus LocoMoto. The Giant is going to be heavy. I
would say a Trek Liquid, but my test ride showed me that the rear was REALLY flexy. I liked the
Klein Palomino, however. A little bit more expensive than I like, but it was OK.

Now, if you want a solid XC/AM bike, maybe a Marin TARA bike is where you are headed? With a Manitou
Swinger SPV shock, you'd be ready to rumble with the new stuff you want to try.

Spider

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:42:50 +0300, "Juho Huttunen" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> frame. Giant has made some changes to the frame and components, so I'm sure this is possible.
>
>I'm quite sure that it's not possible. You can't save 4-5 pounds by changing the saddle or
>something else like that.

Actually, by changing the frame design, the saddle, the seat post, the stem, and other things, it
_is_ possible. <G> ALL of the changes, not just one, especially with a frame rework.

Check out the NRS lineup and look at the weight difference from top to bottom.

Barry

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:13:14 GMT, Super Slinky <[email protected]> wrote:

>B a r r y B u r k e J r . said...
>
>> My large '03 VT1 is 27 pounds without pedals, but with a Z1-FR fork. There are plenty of places
>> this bike could have been made lighter, like the saddle, seat post, and stem. The VT 1 and 2 use
>> the same frame. Giant has made some changes to the frame and components, so I'm sure this is
>> possible.
>>
>> I'm also sure they weigh the small frame. <G>
>>
>> Barry
>
>Your scales must be broken. My Titus Loco-Moto weighs close to 28 lbs without pedals with a
>Fox Vanilla.

My VT1 was 28.5 out of the box, without pedals. With a new stem, saddle, and seat post, it's now
a bit over 27 pounds on the shop fish scale. I weigh myself with and without the bike, on my
home scale and get the same results. The stock VT1 saddle has got to be three times the weight
of my TI Flite.

Barry

"Splat Graphics" <splatgraphics@"NOSPAM"sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> here's where I got the weight from.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/fr/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?lYear=2004&bikesection=8793&range=121&-
mode=rangelist
> it's in Kg's and i comverted to Lbs.

Well, then your calculator must be broken. 12.4kg is around 27.5 pounds. And it still sounds much
too light considering that none of the components are particularily hi-fi...

Nice that they have the new bikes up on their site, the UK one I've been checking doesn't.

B a r r y B u r k e J r . said...

> My VT1 was 28.5 out of the box, without pedals. With a new stem, saddle, and seat post, it's now
> a bit over 27 pounds on the shop fish scale. I weigh myself with and without the bike, on my home
> scale and get the same results. The stock VT1 saddle has got to be three times the weight of my
> TI Flite.
>
> Barry

Sounds like a fish story to me.

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:37:36 GMT, Super Slinky <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sounds like a fish story to me.

I always thought fish scales read HIGH, not low! <G>

Barry

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 26 Sep 2003 11:55:58 -0700, [email protected] (Spider) wrote:
>
> >"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >> "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]>
wrote

> >It sounds like you want to go for more like the Titus LocoMoto. The Giant is going to be heavy.
>
> Having compared them side by side, the Giant is NOT heavy compared to the LocoMoto.
>
> Barry

I'll have a look at the Titus on the web. I don't know what the distribution channels are like in
the States but I know without looking that a Titus will be as scarce as hen's teeth over here.
There's probably a good chance that it'll have to be imported.
--
Westie

"Splat Graphics" <splatgraphics@"NOSPAM"sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > > I've taken what mtbrrrrrreview says with the
> > ^^^^^
> > > usual grain of salt.
> >
> > Westie, you're late. "Talk Like a Pirate Day" was last Friday.
> >
> > http://www.talklikeapirate.com/
> >
> > gabrielle

And I saw "Pirates of the Caribbean" just the other day too. Maybe that's what it was?
--
Westie