Anyone ride an MTB on the road - check this out!

domaindomain

Dec 20, 2004
i run specialized fatboys on my hardtail 26x1.25 running 100psi

they are damn fast

faster IMO than my 700C rims with Conti Gatorskins.. I am actually dissapointed in my 700C wheelset that set me back $900!

domaindomain said:
Just fitted a set of Conti Grand Prix MTB folders to an MTB - WOW!
Hey, I don't think anybody has ever thought of that...putting MTB tires on an MTB? WOW! Double WOW! Super Double WOW!

What'll they come up with next? SPAM perhaps?

the user name domaindomain is freakin horrible too, at least they could use one with a dozen numbers after it like most decent spammers.

Very happy with my Schwalbe City Jets at about half the price !!! :cool:
Great tyres and they didn't need spam to sell them to me :D

I have an old 1988 GT Karakoram K2 that was collecting dust in my rafters for many years. I bought it as a spare MTB. Seeing as it was collecting dust, I just put 1.5 Tom Slicks on it.

It's a lot of fun and is now my Urban assault weapon... for just tooling around. It nice because my road bike and Rocky MTB is clipless pedals so now I have something that is fast and I can just jump on with regular shoes. I do have clips and straps on it.

Here are some pictures of it with the Tom Slicks. The best part of having this bike is I have a Kick Stand :eek: I haven't had one of these since I was a young tad, and it is sure cool to have :D

gtleft1af.jpg

gtfront2gf.jpg

gtright7lq.jpg

I even had a spare Vetta C15 I had kicking around that I install for kicks. I could use a new saddle, however I may upgrad one of my other bikes and bump those Selle Italia Ti Flites to the GT.

Wow too, what a collection of cynics one can find here.

I find some great tyres, I recommend them and show you a place to buy them at less than retail and get grief! How does that work?

There is a "report spam" on each message - if you feel this is spamming, hit the button guys...

Apologies for letting you know about a good deal, I'll keep them to myself in future.

Cheers

Thanks for the reminder on the Conti tyres, I almost bought 650c wheels and tyres for a road bike, saved $300! Enough to buy the MTB!! Soon I will have 3 bikes... where will it stop? :eek:

Ahh, I've heard of these, never seen them in the flesh though. I run their fatter big brother on my commuter bike, the 26x1.3" Conti SportContact slick... nice tyre. And fairly cheap from probikekit too.

Finding 26" tubes to suit such a thin tyre can be a pain though.

Tubes, no worries, Conti book say to use 650 race, suits 559/571x23, 25 etc... different length Presta stems too for Aero wheels, from Velocity, check out their MTB Deep Vs.
http://www.velocityusa.com

I had the Sport Contact on my previous MTB, yup they were slick, but these will be real slppery little suckers...

Ah, 650c tubes, good thinking! The valve stems should be compatible with my commuter bike's special Krappwagen rims too :p

A little surprised/disappointed that the SportContacts weren't a folding tyre. The GP3000 MTB version would be much lighter, no doubt.

domaindomain said:
Wow too, what a collection of cynics one can find here.

I find some great tyres, I recommend them and show you a place to buy them at less than retail and get grief! How does that work?

There is a "report spam" on each message - if you feel this is spamming, hit the button guys...

Apologies for letting you know about a good deal, I'll keep them to myself in future.

Cheers
domaindomain: I found your original post interesting and original unlike many other threads in these forums. I hope you will disregard stupid, mindless out of context replies like those two you got here and keep contributing to an intelligent conversation in the future.

domaindomain said:
Don't worry somebody ****** in thier oatmeal this morning, mostly just teasing you anyway. Your post isn't spam ;)

They are a very light tyre. As you will see at conti's site, the kevlar bead ones come in at just 195g !

when i commuted on my mtb, i would grab the top tube instead of the bars.
one hand in front of the other, pushing the big gears while greatly reducing my frontal area and easily increasing speed on the flats.
i do not know why this hasn't caught on as it increases speed so readily.
this was fun and easy, but i cannot advocate it as won't vouch for relative bike handling and other uncontrolled variables.
even though i had no mishap.
oh, yeah, usin' fatboys at 100psi at the time...

"the road can be a friend, just keep things platonic"

domaindomain said:
Just fitted a set of Conti Grand Prix MTB folders to an MTB - WOW!

They make the road a friend and its like being on a different bike. If you ever ride an MTB on the road and want to make it easier and fun,
Cheers

I use to run 1.0 Fat boys as well. They were very fast with a50 tooth Big ring on my MTB. I really like these 1.4 Tom Slicks as they put just a bit more rubber on the road for more general riding :)