Anyone ride Nederland?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mattb, May 30, 2003.

  1. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    I'm going to Eldora Resort on business next week and wonder if anyone's familiar with riding there.
    Is it dry? I'll probably only have time for a ride or two before or after work. I know they got a
    ton of snow in that late spring storm, but it seems like it should be mostly melted off. I was going
    to check MTBR, but thought I'd ask here if anyone has any recommendations. I'd like to be able to
    just ride from town. Thanks!

    --

    Matt

    "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

    Tags:

  2. "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm going to Eldora Resort on business next week and wonder if
    anyone's
    > familiar with riding there. Is it dry? I'll probably only have time for a ride or two before or
    > after work. I know they got a ton of snow in that
    late
    > spring storm, but it seems like it should be mostly melted off. I was going to check MTBR, but
    > thought I'd ask here if anyone has any recommendations. I'd like to be able to just ride from
    > town. Thanks!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

    Matt, The trails I know in the area are Rainbow lakes and the Sourdough trail, both north of
    Nederland by about 10 miles. Sourdough is a bit rocky in spots, but generally a fun trail. Typically
    you can park on the Rainbow lakes road, ride the trail up to the Brainard lakes road and turn
    around, or continue down into Peaceful Valley. Another not to far off of Peak to Peak is Miller Rock
    (also called St. Vrain). It has a bear of a climb and is also an out an back. Even as I am typing,
    more things come to mind. Out of Eldora you can catch a 4wd road to Moffet Tunnel. I've ridden this
    as well, but this time of year it is probably very wet if not snow covered. (Remember, that area had
    the most snow, over 6 ft., from that huge storm this winter) There are also some trails on the west
    end of Magnolia, I believe they are called the Blue (or is it Red) dot trails. Magnolia runs into
    the Peak to Peak just south of Nederland. I've never ridden these, ask around. I would suggest
    asking at Full Cycle on the Hill. Best bike shop in Boulder (IMHO), great guys who ride a lot and
    perform lots of local trail maintence.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  3. Bruce Pech

    Bruce Pech Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm going to Eldora Resort on business next week and wonder if
    > anyone's
    > > familiar with riding there. Is it dry? I'll probably only have time for
    > > ride or two before or after work. I know they got a ton of snow in that
    > late
    > > spring storm, but it seems like it should be mostly melted off. I was going to check MTBR, but
    > > thought I'd ask here if anyone has
    any
    > > recommendations. I'd like to be able to just ride from town. Thanks!
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Matt
    > >
    > > "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"
    > >

    > Matt, The trails I know in the area are Rainbow lakes and the Sourdough trail, both north of
    > Nederland by about 10 miles. Sourdough is a bit rocky in spots, but generally a fun trail.
    > Typically you can park on the Rainbow lakes road, ride the trail up to the Brainard lakes road and
    > turn around,
    or
    > continue down into Peaceful Valley. Another not to far off of Peak to Peak is Miller Rock (also
    > called St. Vrain). It has a bear of a climb and is also an out an back. Even as I am typing, more
    > things come to mind. Out of Eldora you can catch
    > 4wd road to Moffet Tunnel. I've ridden this as well, but this time of year it is probably very wet
    > if not snow covered. (Remember, that area had the most snow, over 6 ft., from that huge storm this
    > winter) There are also some trails on the west end of Magnolia, I believe they are called the Blue
    > (or is it Red) dot trails. Magnolia runs into the Peak to Peak just south of Nederland. I've never
    > ridden these, ask around. I would suggest asking at Full Cycle on the Hill. Best bike shop in
    Boulder
    > (IMHO), great guys who ride a lot and perform lots of local trail
    maintence.
    > --
    > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    The Rollins Pass road is definitely snowed in and the Sourdough Trail may be in places. The Ceran
    St. Vrain (Miller Rock) is probably snow-free, but, as Craig said, the climb to Miller Rock is a
    bear and deeply rutted. Other options near Nederland (probably snow-free) include the Eldora
    Mountain (aka Mineral Mountain) loop from Nederland to Caribou (steep 2WD gravel road) to the town
    of Eldora (narrow, steep, rocky jeep trail), and back to Nederland (highway) (can be ridden the
    other way if you prefer climbing the technical sections), the Caribou to Rainbow Lakes 4WD/ATV road
    (probably wet), and the Switzerland Trail beginning either at the Peak-to-Peak Highway north of
    Nederland or Sugarloaf Mountain -- an old RR grade/4WD road that's never steep but is rocky at
    times. The lower elevation trails around Boulder, Lyons, and Golden (e.g., Walker Ranch, Betasso
    Preserve, Hall Ranch, etc., etc.) are all snow-free.

    Bruce Pech Boulder

  4. "Bruce Pech" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I'm going to Eldora Resort on business next week and wonder if
    > > anyone's
    > > > familiar with riding there. Is it dry? I'll probably only have time
    for
    > > > ride or two before or after work. I know they got a ton of snow in
    that
    > > late
    > > > spring storm, but it seems like it should be mostly melted off. I was going to check MTBR, but
    > > > thought I'd ask here if anyone has
    > any
    > > > recommendations. I'd like to be able to just ride from town. Thanks!
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Matt
    > > >
    > > > "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"
    > > >

    > > Matt, The trails I know in the area are Rainbow lakes and the Sourdough trail, both north of
    > > Nederland by about 10 miles. Sourdough is a bit rocky in spots, but generally a fun trail.
    > > Typically you can park on the Rainbow lakes road, ride the trail up to the Brainard lakes road
    > > and turn
    around,
    > or
    > > continue down into Peaceful Valley. Another not to far off of Peak to Peak is Miller Rock (also
    > > called St. Vrain). It has a bear of a climb and is also an out an back. Even as I am typing,
    > > more things come to mind. Out of Eldora you can
    catch
    > > 4wd road to Moffet Tunnel. I've ridden this as well, but this time of
    year
    > > it is probably very wet if not snow covered. (Remember, that area had the most snow, over 6 ft.,
    > > from that huge storm this winter) There are also some trails on the west end of Magnolia, I
    > > believe they
    are
    > > called the Blue (or is it Red) dot trails. Magnolia runs into the Peak
    > > Peak just south of Nederland. I've never ridden these, ask around. I would suggest asking at
    > > Full Cycle on the Hill. Best bike shop in
    > Boulder
    > > (IMHO), great guys who ride a lot and perform lots of local trail
    > maintence.
    > > --
    > > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)
    > >
    > The Rollins Pass road is definitely snowed in and the Sourdough Trail may
    be
    > in places. The Ceran St. Vrain (Miller Rock) is probably snow-free, but,
    as
    > Craig said, the climb to Miller Rock is a bear and deeply rutted. Other options near Nederland
    > (probably snow-free) include the Eldora Mountain
    (aka
    > Mineral Mountain) loop from Nederland to Caribou (steep 2WD gravel road)
    > the town of Eldora (narrow, steep, rocky jeep trail), and back to
    Nederland
    > (highway) (can be ridden the other way if you prefer climbing the
    technical
    > sections), the Caribou to Rainbow Lakes 4WD/ATV road (probably wet), and
    the
    > Switzerland Trail beginning either at the Peak-to-Peak Highway north of Nederland or Sugarloaf
    > Mountain -- an old RR grade/4WD road that's never steep but is rocky at times. The lower elevation
    > trails around Boulder, Lyons, and Golden (e.g., Walker Ranch, Betasso Preserve, Hall Ranch, etc.,
    > etc.) are all snow-free.
    >
    > Bruce Pech Boulder

    Thanks for the update Bruce, I forgot how much more snow you had over on your side of the hill.
    Another one to mention between Boulder and Lyons in Heil Ranch, you'll have to do laps and it is not
    at all technical, but I've ridden it once and it beats pavement. One of my favorite rides in the
    area is Apex, just outside of Golden. It does get crowded though.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

  5. Bruce Pech

    Bruce Pech Guest

    "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    [snip]

    > Thanks for the update Bruce, I forgot how much more snow you had over on your side of the hill.
    > Another one to mention between Boulder and Lyons in Heil Ranch, you'll have to do laps and it is
    > not at all technical, but
    I've
    > ridden it once and it beats pavement. One of my favorite rides in the area is Apex, just outside
    > of Golden. It does get crowded though.
    > --
    > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

    7'-8' during the March blizzard west of the Peak-to-Peak plus another 2'-3' in April. The past
    week's been warm to hot though ... so the snow's melting but the streams and creeks are bank full
    and getting higher. Something to bear in mind on trails with stream crossings.

    Bruce Pech Boulder

  6. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Bruce Pech" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > > Thanks for the update Bruce, I forgot how much more snow you had over on your side of the hill.
    > > Another one to mention between Boulder and Lyons
    in
    > > Heil Ranch, you'll have to do laps and it is not at all technical, but
    > I've
    > > ridden it once and it beats pavement. One of my favorite rides in the area is Apex, just outside
    > > of Golden. It does get crowded though.
    > > --
    > > Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)
    >
    > 7'-8' during the March blizzard west of the Peak-to-Peak plus another
    2'-3'
    > in April. The past week's been warm to hot though ... so the snow's
    melting
    > but the streams and creeks are bank full and getting higher. Something to bear in mind on trails
    > with stream crossings.
    >
    > Bruce Pech Boulder

    Thanks to both of you guys. I'll just see what I can find, and find the time for. I hear there's a
    little shop in an old rail car so I'm going to stop in there and see if there might be a group ride
    or something one evening, or at least pick up a map. Talk to you guys later...

    Matt