Anyone ride the Colonial National Parkway, Williamsburg?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Badger_South, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    Comments on this ride? Road surface, traffic, enjoyability?

    Also wondering about the Carter's Grove Country Road, also out of
    Williamsburg. Supposedly has a 15mph speedlimit, but bumpy surface (?)

    TIA,

    -B

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:58:20 -0400, Badger_South <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Comments on this ride? Road surface, traffic, enjoyability?

    Rode it almost ten years ago. It was then a rough surface - not in the
    sense of potholes or bad maintenance, but the nature of whatever they
    made it with. A day on a tight wheelbase tandem and high pressure
    tires was a bit tiring.

    Everything else was fine, riding Friday through Sunday.

    My wife and I both felt a better choice of tires or bikes would have
    helped tremendously. We've traded the Santana Arriva S in for a Double
    Vision recumbent tandem and I'm guessing it would be much better next
    time.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  3. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:33:38 -0400, Curtis L. Russell
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:58:20 -0400, Badger_South <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Comments on this ride? Road surface, traffic, enjoyability?

    >Rode it almost ten years ago. It was then a rough surface - not in the
    >sense of potholes or bad maintenance, but the nature of whatever they
    >made it with. A day on a tight wheelbase tandem and high pressure
    >tires was a bit tiring.
    >
    >Everything else was fine, riding Friday through Sunday.
    >
    >My wife and I both felt a better choice of tires or bikes would have
    >helped tremendously. We've traded the Santana Arriva S in for a Double
    >Vision recumbent tandem and I'm guessing it would be much better next
    >time.
    >
    >Curtis L. Russell
    >Odenton, MD (USA)
    >Just someone on two wheels...

    Cool. I'll be driving by there in a couple weeks when I return from the
    CBBT, so I thought I'd look it over.

    Just got the book 'Road Biking - Virginia':

    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=uF70jQ6APX&isbn=0762711949&itm=1
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/453r5

    And it details some of these rides. Pretty good books with the hill profile
    on some of the rides and good info as to degree of difficulty. I'm planning
    on scoping out the riding in Surry, and Chesapeake (my folks live in
    Newport News near Mariner's Museum). Another ride I'll be checking out near
    my area, is the one around Lake Anna. Most of the rides are probably beyond
    my current ability, but I'll be trying some of them sooner or later.

    Thanks for the info. ;-)

    -B

  4. Joe Rutledge

    Joe Rutledge Guest

    Ridden CP a number of times and always enjoy it!

    While along the York and James rivers it is relatively flat to gentle
    rolling. Nice scenery! While traversing the peninsula it is more hilly and
    generally surrounded by woods. DON'T ride through the tunnel! (cut though
    Colonial W'burg). They will ticket you. Colonial Williamsburg is nice to
    cruise through since no cars are allowed on most streets, but watch for the
    horse "stuff".

    Traffic varies, but the road is basically 3 unmarked lanes wide, allowing
    easy passing for cars.

    The road surface is a course exposed aggregate. While mostly smooth, the
    stones create vibration on hard tires. I've found that dropping pressure
    help a lot. I'll drop my road tires (700-23) down to 80-90 psi.

    Overall, a very enjoyable ride. There are some interesting historical
    markers along the road and pull offs with views along the rivers. If you
    have time there is much history along the route to explore... Yorktown,
    Williamsburg and Jamestown.

    The distance is about 26 mi. one way.

    Not sure about the route near Carter's Grove. I've heard of it but never
    rode it.

    Have fun!!

    Joe

    news:[email protected]