Anyone ride the Seaway Trial in New York?

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by Dr.Hairybiker, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Dr.Hairybiker

Dr.Hairybiker New Member

I'll be riding the Seaway Trail from the Thousand Islands area(Chaumont Bay) to Niagara Falls and back next year. Should be a nice little 600-700 miler. I'll be camping along the way, and will hopefully drag my girlfreind along if I can get her to get into shape for it. (I'll be lugging the gear) I've heard the scenery is amazing, and the campgrounds are supposed to be great. Has anyone ridden this trail? Any tips, highlights, things to look out for?

Tags:

2. Bikerbill98

Bikerbill98 New Member

You're in luck. I have a camp on the St. Lawrence River about 10 miles from CB. I grew up 15 miles from Niagara Falls. You will have a comfortable and relatively flat ride. What is your exact route?

3. chief2nuneez

chief2nuneez New Member

Hi,

I rode through that route a few years ago coming from Calif. It is a great route, but be aware that the Seaway trail is a car route for auto travellers to find the next dairy queen and antique shop, but that should not deter you from taking it, just be aware there may be traffic.
    Some places the roads are narrow but not highly travelled. From Rochester to Thousand Isls the road is roly polly the closer to the lake you are, while from Rochester to Niagara Falls the road is chess board flat and right next to the lake.

Oswego has a summer music festival the 2nd or 3rd week of July(u need to check), the point being, if you hit Oswego during this festival you will be hard pressed to find ANY accomodations for miles around including campgrounds(personal experience), However the festival is great, several different venues of music happening all over the town.

Camping(state parks) is good. The stretch between Fairhaven and Rochester lacks camping to my knowledge(at least state parks). Sodus Point/Bay is a great little town and next to one of the local resturant/outdoor bars/music
    spots there is a hotel/hostel type faciclity that was $25.00 a night.

Rochester has a couple very good bike shops, I used one on the east side, very good folks.

Rochester to NF via the lake (it's all cherry/fruit orchards, if you plan the time of your trip you can hit cherry harvest and pig out!

The best deal going for staying over in NF area is the Ontario House Inn(800 245 7612), owned by a very cordial/laidback guy. It is on main street in Youngstown, NY, right next to the river and near Fort Niagara. The building was built couple hundred years ago, bottom is stone. The downstairs is bar, that can be noisy till about midnight, but realtively sedate and dining, the upper two floors has accomodations(comfy cozy private rooms with great furniture and a bath down the hall on each floor, also a TV/parlor and a kitchen that you can do your own cooking in(many good restuarants inthis town though. It is all a short bike ride to falls, canada, Fort Niagara and the best yet. The price was $35.00 a night (2001). You should call ahead for reservations and last I knew, they dont take plastic!

If you have not done so already, go to canada side in NF and tour the Butterfly Observatory!

enjoy
    Michael

PS for you other readers. New York State cycle touring is highly underrated by many, conjuring up images of downtown NYC. The canal, the seaway, the southern tier, is some of the finest and historical touring available. The State has produced maps of the 3 major bike routes and are available(free) to anyone(go to NYS dot sites and you will find the order form)!