anyone riding 29 inch mtn bikes?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by ashman, Mar 2, 2004.

1. ashman

ashman New Member

Anyone out there riding on 29 inch mtn bikes? I like the concept, but I'm not seeing too many vendors, esp for full suspension.

I'm a bit of a clydesdale at 6'4" 210 lbs and want to ride it in adventure races (6 to 10 hours of biking) and even the 24 Hrs of adrenaline. The adventure racing necessitates a real mtb bike, as we never know what conditions we'll get.

Without going overboard on a custom rig, all I've really seen is the Gary Fisher 292/293. I heard Cannondale has a Jekyll that'll accept big wheels, but their site doesn't mention it. Building up a bike is an option too if I can find a FS frame.

Any thoughts...:confused:

Tags:

2. boba8888

boba8888 New Member

Hello... I started out on a 26" wheel GF Sugar for 2 years, then rode a demo 29er (it was sooo smooth) and decided to buy a Paragon 29. It took while to getting use to I will admit, but a much smoother ride, faster by far and I am much more confident on the trail now. I just bought a second GF.. Mt Tam 2002 29. This bike has nicer components than the Paragon, is lighter thus faster.

I am 48 yrs old, about 5'10", 185 lbs. The group I ride with are all 10-15 yrs younger than me and I can smoke them now. The 29 is just plain faster. I would highly recommend the 29 to anybody over 200lbs and especially those riders over 6'. Why would a large person want to be on small wheels ?? It's plain physics..

Of course it's not for anybody, but I will never go back to a 26". I also notice I have fewer spills and no more endos ! Also, the Sugar had rear suspension whereas the Mt Tam and Paragon don't. Due to the size of the bike, moreso the big wheels, I never find I miss the rear suspension. It's just more hardware to carry with you and thus more maintainence.

I would highly suggest looking on Ebay for one if you're serious. I found my Mt Tam there, brand new for $1100. My dream bike would be a 29 Titanium frame with llight components.. you can never have too many bikes !! good luck..

3. jmcmillanut

jmcmillanut New Member

You bet I ride a 29er. I love my mtb. I have a Mt. Tam (2002) as well, and it is fast on the trail. I know GF has maintained their 29er line, but they sell it as more of a hybrid now. I'd like to hear any thoughts on the 2004 bikes, esp. the new Manitou forks, and how they perform.

JMc

4. jmcmillanut

jmcmillanut New Member

Don't know how that's possible, since the brake pads will be an inch or so short of the mark. If it is, I'd like to see the specs. Thxs.

JMc

5. ashman

ashman New Member

It must be only if you're using disc brakes, cause obviously pads wouldn't work. In this scenario as long as the fork and rear frame have the clearance, you could swap between 26 & 29 at will. Never seen it done though - purely conjecture.

6. jmcmillanut

jmcmillanut New Member

Ahhh, yes. I keep forgetting about that technology -- have V-brakes myself. I wonder what the 29" wheels do to the geometry of the bike?

I'm satisfied with my hardtail for now. I wish they still made the Mt. Tam_29 -- it only lasted 2 years in their lineup.

Cheers,
    James

7. vichercules

vichercules New Member

I checked out the GF's and they are definately not hybrids. For some reason, people see the big hoops and want to throw slicks on them. But the Paragon, the X-Caliber and the Sugar 92x's are all pretty serious mountain bikes.