"Anyone riding a bicycle on Market St. will be arrested."

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc archive' started by Jym Dyer, Mar 22, 2003.

  1. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    =v= From http://indybay.org/ (as of a few minutes ago), the situation in San Francisco:

    7:40PM: Reports of police violently pulling cyclists from their bikes on Market. Even shoppers and
    onlookers are appalled and yelling at police to stop the brutality."
    8:55PM: Police: "Anyone riding a bicycle on Market St. will be arrested."

    Drive all you want, of course. Gotta keep buying oil to Support Our Troops? <_Jym_

    Tags:

  2. Bill Zaumen

    Bill Zaumen Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Jym Dyer <[email protected]> wrote:

    > =v= From http://indybay.org/ (as of a few minutes ago), the situation in San Francisco:
    >
    > 7:40PM: Reports of police violently pulling cyclists from their bikes on Market. Even shoppers and
    > onlookers are appalled and yelling at police to stop the brutality."
    > 6:55PM: Police: "Anyone riding a bicycle on Market St. will be arrested."
    >
    > Drive all you want, of course. Gotta keep buying oil to Support Our Troops?

    I hope someone sues the police for a six to seven digit figure over that one. Riding bicycles on
    Market Street, where the speed limit is 25 mph, is perfectly legal, and a legitimate use of city
    streets. I've ridden a bike along there, after taking a train to reach San Francisco, and was using
    the bike for transportation, not recreation.

    If they need to close the street for some reason, it should be closed to everyone: singling out
    bicycles is every bit as outrageous as singling out cars based on the vehicle's color.

    Sounds to me like, after the Fagan case and the cover up (today's paper had more on why the Grand
    Jury indicted the leadership), that the department's managers haven't learned their lesson.

    Bill

    --
    Due to the level of spam, I no longer accept email, except from a few select individuals.

  3. "Bill Zaumen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]t...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Jym Dyer <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > > =v= From http://indybay.org/ (as of a few minutes ago), the situation in San Francisco:
    > >
    > > 7:40PM: Reports of police violently pulling cyclists from their bikes on Market. Even shoppers
    > > and onlookers are appalled and yelling at police to stop the brutality."
    > > 6:55PM: Police: "Anyone riding a bicycle on Market St. will be arrested."
    > >
    > > Drive all you want, of course. Gotta keep buying oil to Support Our Troops?
    >
    > I hope someone sues the police for a six to seven digit figure over that one. Riding bicycles on
    > Market Street, where the speed limit is 25 mph, is perfectly legal, and a legitimate use of city
    > streets. I've ridden a bike along there, after taking a train to reach San Francisco, and was
    > using the bike for transportation, not recreation.
    >
    > If they need to close the street for some reason, it should be closed to everyone: singling out
    > bicycles is every bit as outrageous as singling out cars based on the vehicle's color.
    >
    > Sounds to me like, after the Fagan case and the cover up (today's paper had more on why the Grand
    > Jury indicted the leadership), that the department's managers haven't learned their lesson.
    >
    > Bill

    Check out http://sf.indymedia.org for some accounts and pictures of the last few days to see how
    they've been using their billy clubs.

  4. one of the six billion wrote:
    > Check out http://sf.indymedia.org for some accounts and pictures of the last few days to see how
    > they've been using their billy clubs.

    Cite a specific URL. I couldn't find any.

    Dan

  5. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Jym, you really ought to explain what's going on. Yesterday 9 of us went over to San Francisco and
    rode down Market St. without a problem. We saw SF Cops all day and they were invariably polite. They
    had a lot better things to do than to bother us.

    You are losing credibility when you tells stories like this without explaning the circumstances.

    "Jym Dyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > =v= From http://indybay.org/ (as of a few minutes ago), the situation in San Francisco:
    >
    > 7:40PM: Reports of police violently pulling cyclists from their bikes on Market. Even shoppers and
    > onlookers are appalled and yelling at police to stop the brutality."
    > 6:55PM: Police: "Anyone riding a bicycle on Market St. will be arrested."
    >
    > Drive all you want, of course. Gotta keep buying oil to Support Our Troops? <_Jym_

  6. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    > Jym, you really ought to explain what's going on.

    =v= I don't really know. Just passing info along with an URL; hopefully there will be more added at
    the URL to explain what's up. <_Jym_

  7. "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Jym, you really ought to explain what's going on. Yesterday 9 of us went over to San Francisco and
    | rode down Market St. without a problem. We saw SF Cops all day and they were invariably polite.
    | They had a lot better things to do than to bother us.
    |
    | You are losing credibility when you tells stories like this without explaning the circumstances.

    What credibility?

  8. The SF Indymedia site is being continually updated. Every time I go there I can't find something I
    looked at just a short awhile ago. It's all still there but you have to follow archive link after
    link. There is so much volume it's hard to find. Reading the verbal accounts are where I got the
    information about people being beaten by billy clubs. If you search around a little more you'll find
    some more info. There's a legal update also a police dossier and a police red squad article that are
    interesting. Below are links to many photos showing an enormous police presence and arrests.

    This is a text list of chronologcal events from Thurs.:
    http://www.sf.indymedia.org/news/2003/03/1587086.php

    Here is a picture of cyclists being arrested: http://www.sf.indymedia.org/news/2003/03/1588435.php

    Here are pictures showing an amazing amount of police presence:
    http://www.sf.indymedia.org/news/2003/03/1588358.php

    Here are some general pictures of the rally on Sat with many arrest photos:
    http://www.sf.indymedia.org/news/2003/03/1588492.php

    People aren't allowed on the streets but the police are:
    http://www.sf.indymedia.org/news/2003/03/1588465.php

    It takes about 50 cops to arrest one person: http://www.sf.indymedia.org/news/2003/03/1588458.php

    An officer gloating about the power of his billy club:
    http://www.sf.indymedia.org/news/2003/03/1588095.php

    "Daniel Connelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > one of the six billion wrote:
    > > Check out http://sf.indymedia.org for some accounts and pictures of the last few days to see how
    > > they've been using their billy clubs.
    > >

    > Cite a specific URL. I couldn't find any.
    >
    > Dan

  9. They didn't declare Market street off limits to bicyclists until later in the evening.
    http://www.sf.indymedia.org/news/2003/03/1588435.php
    http://www.sf.indymedia.org/news/2003/03/1588492.php
    http://www.sf.indymedia.org/news/2003/03/1588358.php

    > Jym, you really ought to explain what's going on. Yesterday 9 of us went over to San Francisco and
    > rode down Market St. without a problem. We saw SF Cops all day and they were invariably polite.
    > They had a lot better things to do than to bother us.
    >
    > You are losing credibility when you tells stories like this without explaning the circumstances.
    >
    > "Jym Dyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > =v= From http://indybay.org/ (as of a few minutes ago), the situation in San Francisco:
    > >
    > > 7:40PM: Reports of police violently pulling cyclists from their bikes on Market. Even shoppers
    > > and onlookers are appalled and yelling at police to stop the brutality."
    > > 6:55PM: Police: "Anyone riding a bicycle on Market St. will be arrested."
    > >
    > > Drive all you want, of course. Gotta keep buying oil to Support Our Troops? <_Jym_

  10. Lord Raymos

    Lord Raymos Guest

    Jym Dyer <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > =v= From http://indybay.org/ (as of a few minutes ago), the situation in San Francisco:
    >
    > 7:40PM: Reports of police violently pulling cyclists from their bikes on Market. Even shoppers and
    > onlookers are appalled and yelling at police to stop the brutality."
    > 6:55PM: Police: "Anyone riding a bicycle on Market St. will be arrested."
    >
    > Drive all you want, of course. Gotta keep buying oil to Support Our Troops? <_Jym_>

    That's an inaccurate account of what the police were saying. A police SUV with loudspeakers was
    announcing "anyone riding a bicycle on Market St. in violation of the California vehicle code will
    be arrested" and said the same of pedestrians in the street. At the time, there weren't all that
    many cars getting through.

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    You may not like Jym or have some disagreement with him but as a general rule I don't. I don't think
    that him and I agree on a whole lot but I still think that he is a moderate enough to think about
    what he says.

    However, in this case there is more than meets the eye. The cops weren't waiting to grab bicyclists,
    I'm sure. Throughout this whole demonstration business in San Francisco, for the most part the
    police have been more than generous and that has caused the demonstrators to up the ante by blocking
    traffic and trying to close down the financial district. The police have a responsibility to prevent
    that and while I don't know what's going on. On Broadway there was a lot of anti-USA grafiti spray
    painted on the sides of buildings generally in places where it would be the most expensive to
    remove. This was plainly done on purpose because it wasn't done on any of the windows where a razor
    blade could clean if off for minimal expense to the involved businesses.

    I did notice that when I was having lunch the police were setting up for something. They had an
    assembly area where they were gathering and they all seemed to be expecting something. They weren't
    the only one's clued in that something was in the wind because overhead there was a news helicopter
    hovering for a good 1/2 hour that I know of.

    "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > | Jym, you really ought to explain what's going on. Yesterday 9 of
    us
    > | went over to San Francisco and rode down Market St. without a
    problem.
    > | We saw SF Cops all day and they were invariably polite. They had a
    lot
    > | better things to do than to bother us.
    > |
    > | You are losing credibility when you tells stories like this
    without
    > | explaning the circumstances.
    >
    > What credibility?

  12. >> 7:40PM: Reports of police violently pulling cyclists from their bikes on Market. Even shoppers
    >> and onlookers are appalled and yelling at police to stop the brutality."
    >> 6:55PM: Police: "Anyone riding a bicycle on Market St. will be arrested."
    >>
    >> Drive all you want, of course. Gotta keep buying oil to Support Our Troops?

    > I hope someone sues the police for a six to seven digit figure over that one. Riding bicycles on
    > Market Street, where the speed limit is 25 mph, is perfectly legal, and a legitimate use of city
    > streets. I've ridden a bike along there, after taking a train to reach San Francisco, and was
    > using the bike for transportation, not recreation.
    >
    > If they need to close the street for some reason, it should be closed to everyone: singling out
    > bicycles is every bit as outrageous as singling out cars based on the vehicle's color.

    Nothing wrong with using bicycles for transportation, but when they're being used in large numbers
    for the purpose of blocking traffic, the police are not only entitled but REQUIRED to arrest the
    perps. I'm glad they're finally doing their job.

    Here it is in the state Penal Code:

    (370.) Section Three Hundred and Seventy. Anything which is injurious to health, or is indecent,
    or offensive to the senses, or an obstruction to the free use of property, so as to
    interfere with the comfortable enjoyment of life or property by an entire community or
    neighborhood, or by any considerable number of persons, or unlawfully obstructs the free
    passage or use, in the customary manner, of any navigable lake, or river, bay, stream,
    canal, or basin, or any public park, square, street, or highway, is a public nuisance.

    371. Every person who maintains or commits any public nuisance, the punishment for which is not
    otherwise prescribed, or who willfully omits to perform any legal duty relating to the
    removal of a public nuisance, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

    372. Whenever two or more persons assemble together to do an unlawful act, or do a lawful act in
    a violent, boisterous, or tumultuous manner, such assembly is an unlawful assembly.

    373. Every person who participates in any rout or unlawful assembly is guilty of a misdemeanor.

    374. If a magistrate or officer, having notice of an unlawful or riotous assembly, mentioned in
    this Chapter, neglects to proceed to the place of assembly, or as near thereto as he can
    with safety, and to exercise the authority with which he is invested for suppressing the
    same and arresting the offenders, he is guilty of a misdemeanor.

    The next time I see a police officer allowing a Critical Mass ride to go on, I'm going to show him
    these, and maybe file a complaint against him.

  13. Bill Zaumen

    Bill Zaumen Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, John David Galt
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > If they need to close the street for some reason, it should be closed to everyone: singling out
    > > bicycles is every bit as outrageous as singling out cars based on the vehicle's color.
    >
    > Nothing wrong with using bicycles for transportation, but when they're being used in large numbers
    > for the purpose of blocking traffic, the police are not only entitled but REQUIRED to arrest the
    > perps. I'm glad they're finally doing their job.

    The issue is not arresting "perps," bur rather the possibility of nabbing innocent bicyclists who
    showed up at the wrong time. BTW, knocking someone off a bicycle (which is what the original message
    described), could lead to a broken neck.

    Bill

    --
    Due to the level of spam, I no longer accept email, except from a few select individuals.

  14. Bosaci

    Bosaci Guest

    "Bill Zaumen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]t...
    > In article <[email protected]>, John David Galt
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > > If they need to close the street for some reason, it should be closed to everyone: singling
    > > > out bicycles is every bit as outrageous as singling out cars based on the vehicle's color.
    > >
    > > Nothing wrong with using bicycles for transportation, but when they're being used in large
    > > numbers for the purpose of blocking traffic, the police are not only entitled but REQUIRED to
    > > arrest the perps. I'm glad they're finally doing their job.
    >
    > The issue is not arresting "perps," bur rather the possibility of nabbing innocent bicyclists

    There is no such thing as "innocent bicyclists", they are all guilty of something!

  15. In article <[email protected]>, bosaci <[email protected]> wrote:
    >There is no such thing as "innocent bicyclists", they are all guilty of something!

    Are you a Mike Vandeman clone?

    --
    Mike Iglesias Internet: [email protected] University of California, Irvine phone:
    949-824-6926 Network & Academic Computing Services FAX: 949-824-2069

  16. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    > That's an inaccurate account of what the police were saying. A police SUV with loudspeakers was
    > announcing "anyone riding a bicycle on Market St. in violation of the California vehicle code will
    > be arrested" and said the same of pedestrians in the street.

    =v= I can't find the source of that (ephemeral) time listing on Indymedia. Eyewitnesses on Market
    Street that night attest to the random arrests of anyone on a bicycle, though. <_Jym_

  17. Tom Granvold

    Tom Granvold Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, bosaci <[email protected]> wrote:

    >There is no such thing as "innocent bicyclists", they are all guilty of something!

    There is no such thing as an innocent newsgroup poster, they are all quitly of something.

    Enjoy, Tom Granvold

    --
    Enjoy, Tom Granvold <[email protected]

  18. Bosaci

    Bosaci Guest

    "Jym Dyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > That's an inaccurate account of what the police were saying. A police SUV with loudspeakers was
    > > announcing "anyone riding a bicycle on Market St. in violation of the California vehicle code
    > > will be arrested" and said the same of pedestrians in the street.
    >
    > =v= I can't find the source of that (ephemeral) time listing on Indymedia. Eyewitnesses on Market
    > Street that night attest to the random arrests of anyone on a bicycle, though. <_Jym_>

    Good! Did they crack a few heads also?

  19. Bosaci

    Bosaci Guest

  20. In article <[email protected]>, bosaci <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Mike Iglesias" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> In article <[email protected]>, bosaci <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >There is no such thing as "innocent bicyclists", they are all guilty of something!
    >>
    >> Are you a Mike Vandeman clone?
    >
    >No but I do know your mother!

    I doubt that unless you are contacting us from the afterlife.