Anyone riding a SMP Pro saddle

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by roubaixjoe, Jan 29, 2010.

1. roubaixjoe

roubaixjoe New Member

If so what are your pros and cons?

Tags:

2. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

I sell 'em and they have a test ride program. Got a LBS that lend you one?

3. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

not trying to be a jerk but dude this is your 3rd SMP post.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/cycling-equipment/472462-smp-saddles-anyone-riding-one.html

and

http://www.cyclingforums.com/cycling-equipment/472570-saddle-width-question.html

and now this one. we have given you several ideas/opinions. nobody can give you the answer. Buy it, try it and if you dont like it sell it and start over.

here is what I told you:
    coming from a guy who was in the exact same boat as you here is my thoughts...

-I too like the design of the SMP. The problem I found with the SMP is that there are several different sizes and options making your decision even more difficult.
    Here is a link that helped me see the difference between them all....
    Albabici - US distributor and agent for Selle SMP Saddles
    -I didnt have a LBS that did the SMP program, and only found 1 shop in a reasonable driving distance that stocked 1 or 2 of them. If a shop were to order one for me, I was told they couldnt exchange it out for a different one if I didn't like it since the demand for them is so far and few between.
    -I spent close to 3 solid weeks researching saddles and asking questions to everyone and everyone I could. All that research I did gave me the same answer...."I can't tell you, you have to try it for yourself since each person will have a different opinion." I found this saddle process to be VERY frustrating because there are SO many options it is difficult to know where to begin.
    -I was able to test 2 different SMP's and I gotta say that they both felt like I was sitting on 2 rulers on there sides. The edge of the center channel seems to be fairly ridged and I felt it to be uncomfortable (for me).

I wanted a saddle with the "love channel" giving me better blood flow and less pressure to my peranial region. I gave up researching the SMP and ended up buying the Selle Italia flite (not the max) which is a 131mm width. I bought it in black so if I didn't like it my LBS said they would be able to replace it. I rode it for a week and realized it was to narrow for my sit bones. Exchanged it for the Selle italia Max Flite Gell flow which is a 150mm. I thought that was an extreme difference from the 131 I thought I would fit but it has been SO comfortable. I feel I made the right choice as I couldn't be happier with my saddle. PLUS I saved myself a good $100+! Check out the Selle italia Max flite gel flow saddle for a similar saddle but IMO more comfortable as well as affordable.

4. roubaixjoe

roubaixjoe New Member

Just an update for what it's worth, bought an SMP Pro and it is the most comfortable saddle I've had to date. I really appreciate all the feedback and info people gave me. And I apolgize to the "thread police" that apparently all they have to do is monitor what people post and don't have a life so again I apolgize the cycling community.

5. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

A guy I know uses one and is also very happy with it, they don't look comfortable :D

Its not that the 'thread police' have nothing else to do, you'll find most forum website frown on members starting multiples of the same thread.

PS - there is no need to apolgize!

cheers

6. knonfs

knonfs New Member

Congrats on your purchase. I've been using a SMP Strike for a couple of years, and I love it!