Anyone riding or just chatting, I have 29 centuries for 03

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dave Is Here, May 25, 2003.

  1. Dave Is Here

    Dave Is Here Guest

    recumbent riders: I just want you all to know that I have been practicing my riding. I have 29
    centuries for 03. These aren't the weenie european centuries (61+ miles) but regular American
    Centuries (100+miles). I only have 4 on my recumbent but 3 of them have been in the last 8 days and
    all of them have been in the last month. I have 13 on my fixed gear and the rest on two different
    road bikes. I also have almost 4000 miles for the year.

    I'll be looking to ride with you at the Hostel Shoppe rally in August. Does anyone else want to do
    some riding there besides the 30-70 mile short rides they have planned? Dave

    > Does anyone else want to do some riding there besides the 30-70 mile short rides they have
    > planned? Dave

    I'm waiting until the weather warms up a bit here in Texas.

    Katy Flatland is in July and the Hotter'n Hell in in August.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    dave is here wrote:
    > recumbent riders: I just want you all to know that I have been practicing my riding. I have 29
    > centuries for 03. These aren't the weenie european centuries (61+ miles) but regular American
    > Centuries (100+miles). I only have 4 on my recumbent but 3 of them have been in the last 8 days
    > and all of them have been in the last month. I have 13 on my fixed gear and the rest on two
    > different road bikes. I also have almost 4000 miles for the year.
    >
    > I'll be looking to ride with you at the Hostel Shoppe rally in August. Does anyone else want to do
    > some riding there besides the 30-70 mile short rides they have planned?

    I have only done one 'weenie' century so far this year. Rain, family obligations, and surgery have
    all complicated my attempts at riding more, and so far I'm barely above the 500 mile mark. Today was
    my first ride after convalescing: 55 miles at an 'easy' pace. I'll be at the Midwest Recumbent
    Rally, too; maybe you can condescend to do a short 70 mile ride with me.

    Congrats on all the centuries, but that and $1.50 will get you a cup of coffee at the cafeteria. I'm
    more impressed that you could do so many of them on uprights!
    --

    John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24 --- _\\/\-%)

  4. Och! Dave......You must be gunning for the filter list of some of the posters...or should I say most
    of them. How dare you infer that you should actually ride a bike rather than a keyboard. I shouldn't
    talk, you know what my measly distance is this year....well at least there is 3 REAL
    centuries...actually 105, 111 and 115. These were "Trust Me AL Metrics". Its rained here since last
    Tuesday. I'll be dammed if I'm gonna ride in the cold rain....Yea. I'm a wuss.
    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "dave is here" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > recumbent riders: I just want you all to know that I have been practicing my riding. I have 29
    > centuries for 03. These aren't the weenie european centuries (61+ miles) but regular American
    > Centuries (100+miles). I only have 4 on my recumbent but 3 of them have been in the last 8 days
    > and all of them have been in the last month. I have 13 on my fixed gear and the rest on two
    > different road bikes. I also have almost 4000 miles for the year.
    >
    > I'll be looking to ride with you at the Hostel Shoppe rally in August. Does anyone else want to do
    > some riding there besides the 30-70 mile short rides they have planned? Dave

  5. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    [email protected] (dave is here) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > recumbent riders: I just want you all to know that I have been practicing my riding. I have 29
    > centuries for 03. These aren't the weenie european centuries (61+ miles) but regular American
    > Centuries (100+miles). I only have 4 on my recumbent but 3 of them have been in the last 8 days
    > and all of them have been in the last month. I have 13 on my fixed gear and the rest on two
    > different road bikes. I also have almost 4000 miles for the year.
    >
    > I'll be looking to ride with you at the Hostel Shoppe rally in August. Does anyone else want to do
    > some riding there besides the 30-70 mile short rides they have planned? Dave

    I'll be more impressed if you tell me you have a regular full time job and a family too.

  6. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "dave is here" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > recumbent riders: I just want you all to know that I have been practicing my riding. I have 29
    > centuries for 03. These aren't the weenie european centuries (61+ miles) but regular American
    > Centuries (100+miles). I only have 4 on my recumbent but 3 of them have been in the last 8 days
    > and all of them have been in the last month. I have 13 on my fixed gear and the rest on two
    > different road bikes. I also have almost 4000 miles for the year.
    >
    > I'll be looking to ride with you at the Hostel Shoppe rally in August. Does anyone else want to do
    > some riding there besides the 30-70 mile short rides they have planned?

    PLONK

  7. Dave:

    Congratulations on your mileage accomplishment. Are you headed for a PR? Will you see 10K miles by
    year end? I think it's possible if you are on your bike for at least 20 hrs. a week. That is
    entirely possible even for people with a full-time job and family. Doesn't leave much time for other
    "pursuits" us young guys like to engage in ;-)

    The longest ride I have been on is a metric century, and that is likewise for the rest of my group.
    However, my speed averages have all been PRs for me. Last week I hit 22.3 mph unfaired on our
    rolling 40-mile Barrington Hills training course. Today, I was well into the 32-35 mph range for
    quite a few stretches of open road. This is consistent with my training goals as I am in the
    speed/endurance leg of the season; just prior to peak-race period. I may continue the HPRA series in
    stock class as I am currently faster without my tailfairing.

    Our group will be attending the Hostel Shoppe Rally. Several of us will be up for an extended ride
    if one materialized throughout the weekend. <trashtalk> As long as I have ample time to beat up on
    anybody riding a fast Bacchetta or Volae product. Highracers, heh, I'm unimpressed... </trashtalk>
    Anyway, I suggest that you contact Rolf in advance. He may know of some routes that will yield 70+
    miles the area.

    Windy City Keith

  8. "dave is here" skrev...
    > recumbent riders: I just want you all to know that I have been practicing my riding. I have 29
    > centuries for 03. These aren't the weenie european centuries (61+ miles) but regular American
    > Centuries (100+miles). I only have 4 on my recumbent but 3 of them have been in the last 8 days
    > and all of them have been in the last month. I have 13 on my fixed gear and the rest on two
    > different road bikes. I also have almost 4000 miles for the year.

    (silly mode on) Whee "american patriotism" rears its ugly head again. Now in regard to distance.
    Don't beat around the bush (no, not that Bush). Call em "french weenie centuries". You know you
    want to. And you forgot to do your little superiority dance at the end. Isn't that speeecial.
    (silly mode off)

    I usually ride to enjoy myself and stay fit and I find distance matters less. The length is decided
    by the weather, how I'm feeling and any impending deadlines. And yes, Virginia...ehm sorry Dave... I
    can ride 100 miles. With luggage if need be. Anyone in reasonable shape on a recumbent can. One of
    my friends with 100 km under his belt on his recumbent did. He complained a bit afterwards but
    still. :)

    It's nice to see you have goals and stick to them, but those are _your_ goals. Good luck.How many
    are you aiming for for the whole year?

    M.

  9. Dave,

    Hi Dave, Glad to hear you'll be at the rally. Do you plan on riding the "fixie?" Last time we rode
    the 9AM ride, 2PM ride, and our own 4PM jaunt for almost 100 miles total the first day.

    Would be glad to have you join us. Just look for the lowracers.....

    Preliminary list of Chicagoland riders:

    Alan A. Razz Fazz 2 lowracer with Razz Fazz mondo tailbox, blue wheeldisc covers Larry Z. Razz Fazz
    1 lowracer with Birkenstock tailbox, red wheeldisc cover, rear Barb P. Velokraft carbon lowracer,
    red wheeldisc covers Gary T. Baron Extra Low lowracer, white wheeldisc covers Wendy T. Custom Brick
    lowracer stock Keith S. Baron lowracer, carbon wheeldisc covers Chris C. Sunset lowracer stock Ed G.
    Festina big wheel lowracer stock or ? New carbon 5 inch seat height lowracer with solid carbon
    "lenticular" wheels....not covers.... ;-) John F. Baron lowracer, wheeldiscs...I think? Arnold H.
    Gold Rush, front Zipper faired Dora C. Stealth stock

    Ed Gin

    dave is here wrote:

    > recumbent riders: I just want you all to know that I have been practicing my riding. I have 29
    > centuries for 03. These aren't the weenie european centuries (61+ miles) but regular American
    > Centuries (100+miles). I only have 4 on my recumbent but 3 of them have been in the last 8 days
    > and all of them have been in the last month. I have 13 on my fixed gear and the rest on two
    > different road bikes. I also have almost 4000 miles for the year.
    >
    > I'll be looking to ride with you at the Hostel Shoppe rally in August. Does anyone else want to do
    > some riding there besides the 30-70 mile short rides they have planned? Dave

  10. Bri

    Bri Guest

    Hi Dave: I'd go for a ride with you if show up near Seattle although I'm nowhere near your level of
    riding. We just went on a easy 25 miler yesterday from Snoqualimi summit down some old railroad
    line. It was a lot of fun except for the lose gravel spots and the 2 mile long tunnel where you
    can't see anything.

    dave is here wrote:

    > recumbent riders: I just want you all to know that I have been practicing my riding. I have 29
    > centuries for 03. These aren't the weenie european centuries (61+ miles) but regular American
    > Centuries (100+miles). I only have 4 on my recumbent but 3 of them have been in the last 8 days
    > and all of them have been in the last month. I have 13 on my fixed gear and the rest on two
    > different road bikes. I also have almost 4000 miles for the year.
    >
    > I'll be looking to ride with you at the Hostel Shoppe rally in August. Does anyone else want to do
    > some riding there besides the 30-70 mile short rides they have planned? Dave

  11. "dave is here" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > recumbent riders: I just want you all to know that I have been practicing my riding. I have 29
    > centuries for 03. These aren't the weenie european centuries (61+ miles) but regular American
    > Centuries (100+miles). I only have 4 on my recumbent but 3 of them have been in the last 8 days
    > and all of them have been in the last month. I have 13 on my fixed gear and the rest on two
    > different road bikes. I also have almost 4000 miles for the year.

    You rode 2900 miles in the last month and only 1100 miles in the 4 months prior?

  12. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    Don't forget! Seth J: Extra-heavy Rans Rocket with noisy fenders and duct-tape chaintube. Jen J:
    Purple Klein Quantum with flower stickers and bumwrecker saddle

    > Alan A. Razz Fazz 2 lowracer with Razz Fazz mondo tailbox, blue wheeldisc covers Larry Z. Razz
    > Fazz 1 lowracer with Birkenstock tailbox, red wheeldisc cover, rear Barb P. Velokraft carbon
    > lowracer, red wheeldisc covers Gary T. Baron Extra Low lowracer, white wheeldisc covers Wendy T.
    > Custom Brick lowracer stock Keith S. Baron lowracer, carbon wheeldisc covers Chris C. Sunset
    > lowracer stock Ed G. Festina big wheel lowracer stock or ? New carbon 5 inch seat height lowracer
    > with solid carbon "lenticular" wheels....not covers.... ;-) John F. Baron lowracer, wheeldiscs...I
    > think? Arnold H. Gold Rush, front Zipper faired Dora C. Stealth stock

  13. Dave Is Here

    Dave Is Here Guest

    Sounds Great Ed seeing you Chicago riders again.

    It was a nice fun ride around stevens point last year.

    Seeing descriptions of your bikes makes my nickel plated wishbone perfectly mundane enough but not
    so arcane as an upright without gears or coasting even. I think there is room in the van for it so
    you never know.

    What is this I hear of your groups planned 4+ hour century for this weekend? Dang.... Dave

    Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dave,
    >
    > Hi Dave, Glad to hear you'll be at the rally. Do you plan on riding the "fixie?" Last time we rode
    > the 9AM ride, 2PM ride, and our own 4PM jaunt for almost 100 miles total the first day.
    >
    > Would be glad to have you join us. Just look for the lowracers.....
    >
    > Preliminary list of Chicagoland riders:
    >
    > Alan A. Razz Fazz 2 lowracer with Razz Fazz mondo tailbox, blue wheeldisc covers Larry Z. Razz
    > Fazz 1 lowracer with Birkenstock tailbox, red wheeldisc cover, rear Barb P. Velokraft carbon
    > lowracer, red wheeldisc covers Gary T. Baron Extra Low lowracer, white wheeldisc covers Wendy T.
    > Custom Brick lowracer stock Keith S. Baron lowracer, carbon wheeldisc covers Chris C. Sunset
    > lowracer stock Ed G. Festina big wheel lowracer stock or ? New carbon 5 inch seat height lowracer
    > with solid carbon "lenticular" wheels....not covers.... ;-) John F. Baron lowracer, wheeldiscs...I
    > think? Arnold H. Gold Rush, front Zipper faired Dora C. Stealth stock
    >
    > Ed Gin

  14. > What is this I hear of your groups planned 4+ hour century for this weekend? Dang.... Dave

    Dave:

    That 4+ hour century you're probably referring to is the Udder Century up north in Union, IL. I'm
    actually attempting a PR of sub 5-hours over 100 miles. Might not sound that difficult for some, but
    this area of Illinois is full of rollers and some challenging climbs by Midwest standards.

    I can't verify that my cohorts will be shooting for the same goal, but there will not be a slow boat
    among us. I predict that this ride will be Barb Prendergast's and Wendy Toy's fastest century to
    date. They both have trained consistently during the spring. To add to their speed potential, both
    of these young ladies are in possession of some very fine custom-built lowracers.

    -Keith

  15. Dave Is Here

    Dave Is Here Guest

    Bri,

    I am having my best year ever cycling. Mostly riding regular bikes but have 4 centuries on the
    wishbone. I don't have any special ability. Just putting in seat time.

    I just read Keith's remarks on the century he is planning. Personally I don't have the motivation
    to ride sub 5 hour centuries. I did one 2 years ago on RAIN in 4:48 on a regular bike and have
    done a few in
    5:30 total time. I would rather enjoy the rolling countryside in rural Illinois where we measure
    cars in the number that pass in a ride not in a mile. Too fast means that I take no time off the
    bike the way I ride.

    Bri, Keep riding for fun and fitness.

    Keith, Good luck on finishing your century in the time you want. Please keep us posted. Dave I have
    30 centuries and 4095 miles for the year so far....none of them under 6 hours total time

    news:<[email protected]>...