Anyone Stretch Out before A Ride?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by NYC XYZ, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    So does anyone actually stretch before riding? How long? What's your
    "routine"?

    Just curious.

    Also, that AirZound air horn really sucks for $32. I mean, it blows
    all right, but it sucks 'cause the plastic is very fragile. Plastic
    pen-quality plastic. Terrible! Can't believe they make this rip-off
    in Canada.



    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > You should also remember, then, that I'd noted that I'd done messenging
    > for only half a summer.
    >
    > When I mention my status as a former messenger, I don't mean to say
    > that I was all up on "bike culture" (or weed, for that matter -- LOL!),
    > but that I rode like one (hehe).
    >
    > So, no, I didn't even know air shocks had special air shock pumps until
    > last week.
    >
    > The other thing is, I'm just thinking aloud here. I'm just as liable
    > to ask, mid-sentence, whether anyone stretches out before their ride,
    > while going on about how lousy-fragile the AirZound air horn is.
     
    Tags:


  2. NYC XYZ wrote:
    > So does anyone actually stretch before riding? How long? What's your
    > "routine"?
    >
    > Just curious.


    I tried it a couple of times but figured I was more likely to hurt
    myself than do any good.
    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
     
  3. recycled-one

    recycled-one Guest

    "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > So does anyone actually stretch before riding?


    Nope.

    > How long? What's your
    > "routine"?


    Get on the bike and ride. Actually when I start out I stand on the pedals
    and work my ankles to stretch the calf muscles. I also do this when I've
    been riding for a while.
     
  4. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >
    > I tried it a couple of times but figured I was more likely to hurt
    > myself than do any good.
    > John Kane, Kingston ON Canada



    I'd laugh, but you might be onto something.

    I mean, they'd already did a study that found no appreciable benefit
    between stretching out before physically rigorous activity and not
    stretching out before....

    I've always wondered if my joints have suffered somehow by the
    "extreme" stretching that I do!

    I mean, I used to do a perfect split and able to touch the floor with
    my chest!

    I'm no longer as flexible (or as strong, as fast, etc. -- sigh!), but
    when I stretch I've still got those habits of *really* stretching...

    Ouch!
     
  5. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > So does anyone actually stretch before riding? How long? What's your
    > "routine"?
    >
    > Just curious.


    I don't think there is ever any reason to do any stretching exercises in
    connection with cycling. You see runners doing this all the time, but I have
    only seen a very few cyclists ever do this. They have always been women for
    some reason.

    > Also, that AirZound air horn really sucks for $32. I mean, it blows
    > all right, but it sucks 'cause the plastic is very fragile. Plastic
    > pen-quality plastic. Terrible! Can't believe they make this rip-off
    > in Canada.


    Yes, I got one of those horns myself many years ago. They seem to work for
    awhile and then they go bonkers. It is one of those very expensive cycling
    accessories that you can live without.

    I like the way NYC posts to various newsgroups. He is going to save ARBR, an
    otherwise good newsgroup which has fallen on hard times due to a criminal
    vandal troll who murdered the group. I now think it is OK to post to many
    newsgroups as long as you do it intelligently. The more input we can get
    here on ARBR, the better.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota
     
  6. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Neil Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 27 Apr 2006 13:10:07 -0700, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>So does anyone actually stretch before riding? How long? What's your
    >>"routine"?

    >
    > Yeah ... on the sofa. I tend to stretch out until I gather up the
    > motivation to ride ;-)
    >
    >>Also, that AirZound air horn really sucks for $32. I mean, it blows
    >>all right, but it sucks 'cause the plastic is very fragile. Plastic
    >>pen-quality plastic. Terrible! Can't believe they make this rip-off
    >>in Canada.

    >
    > Fess up. What'd you do to it?
    >
    > My wife has a paralyzed vocal chord and can't yell (except,
    > inexplicably, at me?). I bought her an AirZound and it's survived
    > admirably despite drops, bumps, pumps, and minor bike vs. horn
    > collisions (don't ask).


    Neil, there was no reason for you to cut the newsgroups. NYC pretty much
    knows what he is doing when he posts a message to multiple newsgroups.
    Further, we here on ARBR appreciate getting more groups involved on our very
    small group. Please note that the subject is not specific to any particular
    newsgroup. Therefore, there is no reason why you should have limited your
    message to RBM. Please show some consideration for other newsgroups which
    may not be as well off as RBM for members.

    A newsgroup can easily tolerate many messages which are off-topic. In fact,
    if each and every message is on-topic to a particular newsgroup, it is a
    death sentence. Everyone will die of boredom. I think roughly 25% of the
    messages can be off-topic and that is actually a healthy thing for a
    newsgroup. After all, we are all real living people here, not just ciphers
    for messages about a particular narrow topic.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota
     
  7. amakyonin

    amakyonin Guest

    You can boost the volume of the AZ by removing the "volume control"
    do-hickey that constricts the tube. Pump to 100 psi and you should be
    able to scare even yourself for a few weeks until your nervous system
    learns to cope with the sound.

    You need to be careful when removing the pump head not to twist the
    valve too much or pull it out forcefully. I've lost one this way after
    a fair amount of use. It would just honk for a brief period at the
    highest pressure and stop making any sound even when there was plenty
    of air left. I couldn't figure out the exact failure mechanism but it
    probably had something to do with my fighting to remove the pump so
    many times.

    The plastic is PVC and is plenty tough for this application. I cut
    apart my broken AZ with a Dremel to look at the guts and had a heck of
    a time doing so.
     
  8. amakyonin

    amakyonin Guest

    Correction. I think the plastic is polystyrene. Still tough enough
    though.
     
  9. On 27 Apr 2006 13:10:07 -0700, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >So does anyone actually stretch before riding?


    Stretch after you ride, or at least after you've warmed up for a
    couple of miles if you feel you need to. I know of no current research
    that supports stretching before exercise. Start slowly, stretch after
    a warmup (I don't, but some support this), then stretch at the end.

    Honestly, I don't even stretch after most cycling outings, but I do
    after running long distances. Seems to work for me.

    -- Robert
     
  10. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > So does anyone actually stretch before riding? How long? What's your
    > "routine"?
    >
    > Just curious.


    Never
     
  11. Marz

    Marz Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > So does anyone actually stretch before riding? How long? What's your
    > "routine"?
    >
    > Just curious.


    No, but I always stretch after a ride. There's no point stretching cold
    muscles and it may do more harm than good. Sometimes I stop and stretch
    about 20 minutes into a ride, about the time I start to feel properly
    warmed up.

    Laters,

    Marz
     
  12. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    recycled-one wrote:
    >
    >
    > Nope.
    >
    >
    > Get on the bike and ride. Actually when I start out I stand on the pedals
    > and work my ankles to stretch the calf muscles. I also do this when I've
    > been riding for a while.



    Actually, that's what I do!

    I'm going to start some light stretching from now on, though. Just
    'cause it feels kinda nice.
     
  13. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Edward Dolan wrote:
    >
    >
    > I don't think there is ever any reason to do any stretching exercises in
    > connection with cycling. You see runners doing this all the time, but I have
    > only seen a very few cyclists ever do this. They have always been women for
    > some reason.


    Actually, I love to see women stretching. Too bad they tend to be the
    skinny ones without much of a figure.

    > Yes, I got one of those horns myself many years ago. They seem to work for
    > awhile and then they go bonkers. It is one of those very expensive cycling
    > accessories that you can live without.


    True -- I keep forgetting to use it! Then when I do remember, I'm
    fiddling to find the "button"...this, too, needs some practice!

    > I like the way NYC posts to various newsgroups. He is going to save ARBR, an
    > otherwise good newsgroup which has fallen on hard times due to a criminal
    > vandal troll who murdered the group. I now think it is OK to post to many
    > newsgroups as long as you do it intelligently. The more input we can get
    > here on ARBR, the better.


    Why, thank you. Now, if only we can get you to accept top-posting....
    =D

    > Regards,
    >
    > Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    > aka
    > Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota
     
  14. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "di" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Neil Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> On 27 Apr 2006 13:10:07 -0700, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>>So does anyone actually stretch before riding? How long? What's your
    >>>>"routine"?
    >>>
    >>> Yeah ... on the sofa. I tend to stretch out until I gather up the
    >>> motivation to ride ;-)
    >>>
    >>>>Also, that AirZound air horn really sucks for $32. I mean, it blows
    >>>>all right, but it sucks 'cause the plastic is very fragile. Plastic
    >>>>pen-quality plastic. Terrible! Can't believe they make this rip-off
    >>>>in Canada.
    >>>
    >>> Fess up. What'd you do to it?
    >>>
    >>> My wife has a paralyzed vocal chord and can't yell (except,
    >>> inexplicably, at me?). I bought her an AirZound and it's survived
    >>> admirably despite drops, bumps, pumps, and minor bike vs. horn
    >>> collisions (don't ask).

    >>
    >> Neil, there was no reason for you to cut the newsgroups. NYC pretty much
    >> knows what he is doing when he posts a message to multiple newsgroups.
    >> Further, we here on ARBR appreciate getting more groups involved on our
    >> very small group. Please note that the subject is not specific to any
    >> particular newsgroup. Therefore, there is no reason why you should have
    >> limited your message to RBM. Please show some consideration for other
    >> newsgroups which may not be as well off as RBM for members.
    >>
    >> A newsgroup can easily tolerate many messages which are off-topic. In
    >> fact, if each and every message is on-topic to a particular newsgroup, it
    >> is a death sentence. Everyone will die of boredom. I think roughly 25% of
    >> the messages can be off-topic and that is actually a healthy thing for a
    >> newsgroup. After all, we are all real living people here, not just
    >> ciphers for messages about a particular narrow topic.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    >> aka
    >> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota
    >>

    >
    > Yeah, either do it as Ed said or stay off all NG's entirely. Geez, such
    > an inconsiderate poster, what were you thinking?


    If and when anyone either adds or subtracts newsgroups from an original
    posting, there should be a justifiable reason for it. Neil Brooks, who is an
    idiot, never knows what the hell he is doing. But more importantly, he is a
    coward who does not want to confront other members of the group and be
    responsible for what he says. Please note that I will defend whatever I do
    or say on any newsgroup. I am not always right, but there are worse things
    than being wrong. Being a coward like Neil Brooks is infinitely worse.

    RBM should be honored that someone as Great as Ed Dolan is even deigning to
    notice them.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota
     
  15. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Neil Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > "di" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> >
    >> > "Neil Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]
    >> >> On 27 Apr 2006 13:10:07 -0700, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
    >> >> wrote:
    >> >>
    >> >>>
    >> >>>So does anyone actually stretch before riding? How long? What's your
    >> >>>"routine"?
    >> >>
    >> >> Yeah ... on the sofa. I tend to stretch out until I gather up the
    >> >> motivation to ride ;-)
    >> >>
    >> >>>Also, that AirZound air horn really sucks for $32. I mean, it blows
    >> >>>all right, but it sucks 'cause the plastic is very fragile. Plastic
    >> >>>pen-quality plastic. Terrible! Can't believe they make this rip-off
    >> >>>in Canada.
    >> >>
    >> >> Fess up. What'd you do to it?
    >> >>
    >> >> My wife has a paralyzed vocal chord and can't yell (except,
    >> >> inexplicably, at me?). I bought her an AirZound and it's survived
    >> >> admirably despite drops, bumps, pumps, and minor bike vs. horn
    >> >> collisions (don't ask).
    >> >
    >> > Neil, there was no reason for you to cut the newsgroups. NYC pretty

    > much
    >> > knows what he is doing when he posts a message to multiple newsgroups.
    >> > Further, we here on ARBR appreciate getting more groups involved on our
    >> > very small group. Please note that the subject is not specific to any
    >> > particular newsgroup. Therefore, there is no reason why you should have
    >> > limited your message to RBM. Please show some consideration for other
    >> > newsgroups which may not be as well off as RBM for members.
    >> >
    >> > A newsgroup can easily tolerate many messages which are off-topic. In
    >> > fact, if each and every message is on-topic to a particular newsgroup,

    > it
    >> > is a death sentence. Everyone will die of boredom. I think roughly 25%

    > of
    >> > the messages can be off-topic and that is actually a healthy thing for

    > a
    >> > newsgroup. After all, we are all real living people here, not just

    > ciphers
    >> > for messages about a particular narrow topic.

    >
    >> Yeah, either do it as Ed said or stay off all NG's entirely. Geez, such

    > an
    >> inconsiderate poster, what were you thinking?

    >
    > Thanks, Di. Were it not for your timely and appropriate reply, Mr. Dolan
    > would have been stuck in the stygian depths of my kill-file, leading the
    > same socially deprived and profoundly lonely life that he, doubtless,
    > lives
    > in other-than-Cyberspace.
    >
    > Mister Ed (well ... the rearward-facing portion of Mister Ed, anyway): if
    > YOU are convinced that I SHOULD have crossposted, then I am--as a
    > result--supremely confident that I did the right thing by not.
    >
    > All the best....


    The above message is too contemptible for comment. God, I just can't stand
    kill-filers. How do you get to be so cowardly?

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka
    Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota
     
  16. landotter

    landotter Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > So does anyone actually stretch before riding? How long? What's your
    > "routine"?


    I stretch after I've ridden twenty minutes. It's much more effective
    with warm muscles. ;)

    Basic toe touches, some knee stretches to keep that IT band happy, and
    a couple yoga poses to both stretch the hamstrings and lower back.
    Spinning is a pleasure afterwards.
     
  17. NYC XYZ wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > > I tried it a couple of times but figured I was more likely to hurt
    > > myself than do any good.
    > > John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

    >
    >
    > I'd laugh, but you might be onto something.
    >
    > I mean, they'd already did a study that found no appreciable benefit
    > between stretching out before physically rigorous activity and not
    > stretching out before....


    Exactly. I do think that some regular stretching exercises are good
    for you. (Note to self: Find those photocopies of stretching exercises
    :).

    However I am not convinced that they are all that much use _before_
    most physical activities that mere mortals engage in. As part of a
    daily routine I suspect that they are a very good idea.

    >
    > I've always wondered if my joints have suffered somehow by the
    > "extreme" stretching that I do!
    >
    > I mean, I used to do a perfect split and able to touch the floor with
    > my chest!
    >
    > I'm no longer as flexible (or as strong, as fast, etc. -- sigh!), but
    > when I stretch I've still got those habits of *really* stretching...
    >
    > Ouch!
     
  18. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    amakyonin wrote:
    > You can boost the volume of the AZ by removing the "volume control"
    > do-hickey that constricts the tube.


    Oh wow, you mean go beyond the manufacturer-rated 110 db???

    > Pump to 100 psi and you should be
    > able to scare even yourself for a few weeks until your nervous system
    > learns to cope with the sound.


    LOL...couple that with an HID light and I'll be ready for Halloween
    this year!

    > You need to be careful when removing the pump head not to twist the
    > valve too much or pull it out forcefully. I've lost one this way after
    > a fair amount of use. It would just honk for a brief period at the
    > highest pressure and stop making any sound even when there was plenty
    > of air left. I couldn't figure out the exact failure mechanism but it
    > probably had something to do with my fighting to remove the pump so
    > many times.


    Thanks for the tip! Can't believe it's been so flimsy all these years
    -- and Canadian, too! Thought they were supposed to be good guys....

    > The plastic is PVC and is plenty tough for this application. I cut
    > apart my broken AZ with a Dremel to look at the guts and had a heck of
    > a time doing so.


    Whatsa dremel?

    My AZ (one of 'em -- the one on the 'bent) is busted where the red part
    meets the gray; that is, where the "holder" meets the horn proper. Now
    that's flimsy! The two are joined by a mere four little "ticks" that
    protrude from the gray (male) to be grappled in place by the red
    (female)...one of these quarter-centimeter ticks is gone due to the
    'bent falling over...now I have to have string tying the horn to the
    handle bar...WTF???
     
  19. landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Basic toe touches, some knee stretches to keep that IT band happy, and
    >a couple yoga poses to both stretch the hamstrings and lower back.


    Which yoga poses?

    --
    Steven O'Neill [email protected]
    Brooklyn, NY
     
  20. Steven M. O'Neill wrote:
    > landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Basic toe touches, some knee stretches to keep that IT band happy, and
    > >a couple yoga poses to both stretch the hamstrings and lower back.

    >
    > Which yoga poses?
    >
    > --
    > Steven O'Neill [email protected]
    > Brooklyn, NY



    This one will probably work well enough.

    http://www.bradpriddy.com/yoga/parstt.htm

    peruse the site and you will probably find others that suit you.
     
Loading...
Loading...