Anyone Stretch Out before A Ride?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by NYC XYZ, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Steven M. O'Neill wrote:
    >> Which yoga poses?
    >>

    >This one will probably work well enough.
    >
    >http://www.bradpriddy.com/yoga/parstt.htm
    >
    >peruse the site and you will probably find others that suit you.

    Thanks. I'm interested in finding more about the relationship
    between cycling and yoga, but I haven't been able to find much
    on the web.

    One thing is that cycling and yoga seem to work in opposite ways
    on my hamstrings (which are generally very tight).

    The other thing is that when I'm cycling, I try to think of my
    body as being in downward dog (externally rotate upper arms,
    draw shoulders down, etc). This feels right, but I wonder if
    others find it useful.

    --
    Steven O'Neill [email protected]
    Brooklyn, NY

  2. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Neil Brooks wrote:

    > Yeah ... on the sofa. I tend to stretch out until I gather up the
    > motivation to ride ;-)

    Now if you had a recumbent, you could do both -- stay in bed and ride!
    ;-)

    > Fess up. What'd you do to it?

    My 'bent fell on it.

    > My wife has a paralyzed vocal chord and can't yell (except,
    > inexplicably, at me?).

    I love sopranos!

    But paralyzed vocal chord...wow! How does that happen? I met this
    aspiring jazz singer who's going to voice therapy due to acid
    reflux....

    > I bought her an AirZound and it's survived
    > admirably despite drops, bumps, pumps, and minor bike vs. horn
    > collisions (don't ask).

    Do tell -- sounds funny!

  3. maxo

    maxo Guest

    triangle pose is just wonderful for the lower back, hamstrings and
    shoulders. It's the one I always do. Down dog, cobra, and bow are nice
    if you've got the right surface. I also do a variation on tree pose
    that stretches the glutes and is pretty good for balance, especially in
    cleats--there's a name for it, but heck if I can remember. :p

    Stretching makes all the difference in my after ride knee pain.
    Basically, if I stretch, I never get any. My legs feel all buttery and
    efficient afterwards as well. Good stuff.

  4. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "maxo" <[email protected]> writes:
    > triangle pose is just wonderful for the lower back, hamstrings and
    > shoulders. It's the one I always do. Down dog, cobra, and bow are nice
    > if you've got the right surface. I also do a variation on tree pose
    > that stretches the glutes and is pretty good for balance, especially in
    > cleats--there's a name for it, but heck if I can remember. :p
    >
    > Stretching makes all the difference in my after ride knee pain.
    > Basically, if I stretch, I never get any. My legs feel all buttery and
    > efficient afterwards as well. Good stuff.

    Tell ya what -- if I stretched, all I'd do is give myself
    leg cramps.

    The recumbent ppl will tell yez they've got the comfort thing
    all figgered out.

    Like hell!

    It's easier for me to perch onto a normal bike, than it is to
    sink down into one of those low-slung thingies.

    They remind me of my buddie's Mazda RX-8. Climbing outa that
    thing is a task, too.

    I'm happy enough just riding a normal bike and not having
    to go "Uhnnngghhh" while straining to get on or off it.
    My diamond-frame bikes are too friendly & nice to be as
    cruelly uncomfortable as recumbents.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  5. maxo wrote:
    > triangle pose is just wonderful for the lower back, hamstrings and
    > shoulders. It's the one I always do. Down dog, cobra, and bow are nice
    > if you've got the right surface. I also do a variation on tree pose
    > that stretches the glutes and is pretty good for balance, especially in
    > cleats--there's a name for it, but heck if I can remember. :p
    >
    > Stretching makes all the difference in my after ride knee pain.
    > Basically, if I stretch, I never get any. My legs feel all buttery and
    > efficient afterwards as well. Good stuff.

    i mostly do some yoga stretches for my neck and back, since i tend to
    have a bit of trouble in that area. And sometimes, I'll stop and stretch
    my back on my bike. You straddle the bike, turn around and twist,
    holding the saddle and feel your lumbar spine CRACK! it feels great.

  6. After riding many years on a hybrid bike then injuring my ITB band. I
    strech out before and after every ride. My knees and legs go alot
    farther that way. I'm 57 and now ride a Ran's stratus for 6 years with
    over 6000 miles and no knee or leg pain.
    I also own the Air Zound for 6yrs its great for stopping dogs in their
    tracks, as well as the ocassional automobile.

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > So does anyone actually stretch before riding? How long? What's your
    > "routine"?
    >
    > Just curious.
    >
    > Also, that AirZound air horn really sucks for $32. I mean, it blows
    > all right, but it sucks 'cause the plastic is very fragile. Plastic
    > pen-quality plastic. Terrible! Can't believe they make this rip-off
    > in Canada.
    >

    > NYC XYZ wrote:
    > > You should also remember, then, that I'd noted that I'd done messenging
    > > for only half a summer.
    > >
    > > When I mention my status as a former messenger, I don't mean to say
    > > that I was all up on "bike culture" (or weed, for that matter -- LOL!),
    > > but that I rode like one (hehe).
    > >
    > > So, no, I didn't even know air shocks had special air shock pumps until
    > > last week.
    > >
    > > The other thing is, I'm just thinking aloud here. I'm just as liable
    > > to ask, mid-sentence, whether anyone stretches out before their ride,
    > > while going on about how lousy-fragile the AirZound air horn is.

  7. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> writes:

    > I'll stop and stretch
    > my back on my bike. You straddle the bike, turn around and twist,
    > holding the saddle and feel your lumbar spine CRACK! it feels great.

    Oooooh, yeah. That's the ticket. Except, if I did it wrongly,
    the turning around part might make my floating rib do weird stuff.

    Ahhhhhhh. Sweet relief.

    Sometimes just riding no-hands affords a nice comfort adjustment
    on the fly.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  8. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "di" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    [...]

    Newsgroups restored.

    >> If and when anyone either adds or subtracts newsgroups from an original
    >> posting, there should be a justifiable reason for it. Neil Brooks, who is
    >> an idiot, never knows what the hell he is doing. But more importantly, he
    >> is a coward who does not want to confront other members of the group and
    >> be responsible for what he says. Please note that I will defend whatever
    >> I do or say on any newsgroup. I am not always right, but there are worse
    >> things than being wrong. Being a coward like Neil Brooks is infinitely
    >> worse.
    >>
    >> RBM should be honored that someone as Great as Ed Dolan is even deigning
    >> to notice them.

    > Yawn, the Great Ed is again putting me asleep with his boring ranting.

    Why is it that all cowards are also idiots. The two things seem to go
    together. Neil Brooks and little old "di" illustrate this phenomenon every
    time they post one of their scatter-brained, utterly useless, messages.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  9. TomP

    TomP Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:

    > So does anyone actually stretch before riding? How long? What's your
    > "routine"?

    No, never have.

    --
    Tp,

    -------- __o
    ----- -\<. -------- __o
    --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
    -------------------- ( )/ ( )

    No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

  10. On 30 Apr 2006, you wrote in rec.bicycles.soc:

    > NYC XYZ wrote:
    >
    >> So does anyone actually stretch before riding? How long? What's your
    >> "routine"?

    > No, never have.

    I've been wondering if it is better to ONLY strech AFTER the riding
    especially in cold weather. I think the most important thing is to
    keep the body warm.

    --
    ---
    William O'Hara

  11. Steven M. O'Neill wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Steven M. O'Neill wrote:
    > >> Which yoga poses?
    > >>

    > >This one will probably work well enough.
    > >
    > >http://www.bradpriddy.com/yoga/parstt.htm
    > >
    > >peruse the site and you will probably find others that suit you.

    > Thanks. I'm interested in finding more about the relationship
    > between cycling and yoga, but I haven't been able to find much
    > on the web.

    cant' help you there
    although the bicycle is my primary mode of transportation between the
    big snows,
    I do not consider myself to be a "cyclist."

    if you are practicing asanas regularily, no doubt you will figure it
    out the relationship between cycling and yoga yourself.

    > One thing is that cycling and yoga seem to work in opposite ways
    > on my hamstrings (which are generally very tight).

    yup
    hamstrings get tight if you use your legs
    and they get tight if you just sit around all day.
    so it is a good idea to do something to stretch them.

    > The other thing is that when I'm cycling, I try to think of my
    > body as being in downward dog (externally rotate upper arms,
    > draw shoulders down, etc). This feels right, but I wonder if
    > others find it useful.
    >
    > --
    > Steven O'Neill [email protected]
    > Brooklyn, NY

  12. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Steven M. O'Neill wrote:
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >>
    >> >This one will probably work well enough.
    >> >
    >> >http://www.bradpriddy.com/yoga/parstt.htm
    >> >
    >> >peruse the site and you will probably find others that suit you.

    >> Thanks. I'm interested in finding more about the relationship
    >> between cycling and yoga, but I haven't been able to find much
    >> on the web.

    > cant' help you there
    > although the bicycle is my primary mode of transportation between the
    > big snows,
    > I do not consider myself to be a "cyclist."
    >
    > if you are practicing asanas regularily, no doubt you will figure it
    > out the relationship between cycling and yoga yourself.
    >
    >> One thing is that cycling and yoga seem to work in opposite ways
    >> on my hamstrings (which are generally very tight).
    >>

    > yup
    > hamstrings get tight if you use your legs
    > and they get tight if you just sit around all day.
    > so it is a good idea to do something to stretch them.
    >
    >> The other thing is that when I'm cycling, I try to think of my
    >> body as being in downward dog (externally rotate upper arms,
    >> draw shoulders down, etc). This feels right, but I wonder if
    >> others find it useful.

    Yoga is all a bunch of crapola. I can't believe that otherwise intelligent
    folks would fall for it. We humans are designed for walking, not for
    freaking yoga. If you want to stay fit and healthy, just go out for walks
    for a minimum of 4 hours a day each and every day.

    Hey, all you morons out there in cyber space, birds FLY and fishes SWIM and
    we humans WALK. Christ, is this rocket science or what?

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  13. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [screw a.r.b.r]

    Newsgroups restored.

    Screw RBM, a newsgroup that is just chock full of screwballs and nitwits
    like Tom Keats. Why can't he just do his miserable job there on the docks of
    Vancouver like a good working class stiff and leave intellectual pursuits to
    those of us who are capable of them.

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> Why is it that all cowards are also idiots. The two things seem to go
    >> together. Neil Brooks and little old "di" illustrate this phenomenon
    >> every
    >> time they post one of their scatter-brained, utterly useless, messages.

    > Y'know, Ed, I've lived for a goodly number of years, and I've
    > learned a bunch of stuff. But the greatest thing I come out
    > of my life with is the knowledge that I love people. Even
    > nayfishen & nudniks like you (from a certain distance.)
    > God bless ya. God bless us all, every one.

    Tom Keats is the most hate-filled monster I have ever encountered in my
    life. Why doesn't someone put him out of his misery. I would do the dirty
    deed myself, except I can't stand the thought of ever going to pig sty like
    Vancouver, Canada. I think you have to be part swine yourself in order to
    live in such a god-awful place. Seattle, where Claire lives, will just
    barely past muster, but Vancouver is infra dignatatem.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  14. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "di" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    Newsgroups restored.

    > "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    >>
    >> "di" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]
    >>> Yawn, the Great Ed is again putting me asleep with his boring ranting.

    >> Why is it that all cowards are also idiots. The two things seem to go
    >> together. Neil Brooks and little old "di" illustrate this phenomenon
    >> every time they post one of their scatter-brained, utterly useless,
    >> messages.

    > Great Ed is loosing his cool

    Just another freaking idiot like Mark Leuck of ARBR who does not know enough
    to put periods at the end of his freaking sentences. We only have a few
    idiots on ARBR, but RBM seems to have an unlimited number.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  15. Hull 697

    Hull 697 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2005
    Stretch? You bet! Almost always, when I forget I find it takes a lot longer to get warmed up. I have tight hamstrings, so they really benefit from stretching. The tops of the thighs also feel better and don't act like they want to cramp if I stretch them well before a ride. Really hate hitting a hill in the first 5 miles if I have not stretched, and not doing that around here is hard to do.

    Keats is a hoot. Does he think we believe he is some basketball star? You don't climb down into a Strada, you put it on. Perhaps he rides some lesser version of bike?

    I find that stretching after a ride is comfortable and revealing! I still cannot touch my toes, haven't been able to since something like 9th grade. However, after a nice 25 miles or better ride I can get down close, like maybe 1/2 inch? I am MUCH looser after a good ride.

    NYC - I have never heard of a study that said stretching does no good. Where is this study? Not that I will stop, I can tell the difference so will happily stretch in the knowledge that I am once again a statistical anomaly.

  16. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "di" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]

    Newsgroups restored.

    > "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    [...]

    >>> Great Ed is loosing his cool

    >> Just another freaking idiot like Mark Leuck of ARBR who does not know
    >> enough to put periods at the end of his freaking sentences. We only have
    >> a few idiots on ARBR, but RBM seems to have an unlimited number.

    > Goodbye Great Ed, I'm becoming bored with you, you are no challenge, my
    > last reply to your rants.

    And good riddance to you too, you freaking idiot! Anyone who thinks "di" is
    a good signature is way too stupid for the Great Ed Dolan.

    But it is apparently my karma to attract all the idiots, morons and
    imbeciles of these cycling newsgroups. However, they don't last long once
    they encounter true Greatness. But I swear they know I have a soft spot for
    them. They seem like children to me, deserving of my mercy and my
    magnanimity. Yea, I am the Good Shepherd and they are the poor lost lambs
    who have gone astray.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  17. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Hull 697" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Stretch? You bet! Almost always, when I forget I find it takes a lot
    > longer to get warmed up. I have tight hamstrings, so they really
    > benefit from stretching. The tops of the thighs also feel better and
    > don't act like they want to cramp if I stretch them well before a ride.
    > Really hate hitting a hill in the first 5 miles if I have not
    > stretched, and not doing that around here is hard to do.
    >
    > Keats is a hoot. Does he think we believe he is some basketball star?
    > You don't climb down into a Strada, you put it on. Perhaps he rides
    > some lesser version of bike?
    >
    > I find that stretching after a ride is comfortable and revealing! I
    > still cannot touch my toes, haven't been able to since something like
    > 9th grade. However, after a nice 25 miles or better ride I can get
    > down close, like maybe 1/2 inch? I am MUCH looser after a good ride.
    >
    > NYC - I have never heard of a study that said stretching does no good.
    > Where is this study? Not that I will stop, I can tell the difference so
    > will happily stretch in the knowledge that I am once again a
    > statistical anomaly.

    It is all in your mind Hull (pardon me if I don't include your asinine 697
    designation). You get plenty of stretching when you are pedaling your bike.
    It is only athletes who think they need to stretch, not slobs like you and
    me. Try to get real, why don't you!

    The fact of the matter is that you get stiffer and stiffer with age, and
    finally you become a stiff yourself. Who the hell wants to touch their toes
    anyway. That kind of nonsense is for the kids and their stupid phy-ed
    teachers. The only thing I want to touch is my belly which seems to have
    become twice the size it was when I was in the 9th grade. Maybe Hull could
    address that problem instead of that nonsense about touching your freaking
    toes.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  18. Archie A.

    Archie A. Guest

    > So does anyone actually stretch before riding? How long? What's your
    > "routine"?

    Personally, I find it reduces the incidence of cramps and muscle
    stiffening if I do at least a few leg stretches before a ride.
    I just do hamstrings and static quad stretches before pulling off.
    Archie A.

  19. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    I've been getting "superstitious" myself in this same regard...but I do
    also find that stretching out warms me up, in and of itself.

    William O'Hara wrote:

    > I've been wondering if it is better to ONLY strech AFTER the riding
    > especially in cold weather. I think the most important thing is to
    > keep the body warm.
    >
    > --
    > ---
    > William O'Hara
    > www.n1ey.com

  20. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Archie A. wrote:

    > Personally, I find it reduces the incidence of cramps and muscle
    > stiffening if I do at least a few leg stretches before a ride.
    > I just do hamstrings and static quad stretches before pulling off.
    > Archie A.

    I don't know if it's helped me, but I do the same thing. Maybe I'm
    expecting too much, or maybe I'm not doing it long enough, consistently
    enough, or the right stretches, or the right stretches the right
    way...but I feel as stiff as ever!

    On my upright bike, that is...haven't had the chance yet to do any
    extensive recumbent cycling....