Anyone Stretch Out before A Ride?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by NYC XYZ, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. Hull 697

    Hull 697 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2005
    Basically the ones I do. Have been told that stretching stimulates blood flow in the muscles and warms them, whatever that means. I know I ride much better, get warmed up and loose faster and the cramping does not happen.

    In general, I have found that stretching before any physical exertion is a good thing, I even stretch before such mundane activities as yardwork and walking. Threw my back out years ago and the Doctor recommended that I stretch more. I hate back pain so much I try hard not to forget his advice.

  2. Snortley

    Snortley Guest

    >> Personally, I find it reduces the incidence of cramps and muscle
    >> stiffening if I do at least a few leg stretches before a ride.
    >> I just do hamstrings and static quad stretches before pulling off.
    >> Archie A.

    Speaking of quads:

    http://www.santosha.com/asanas/nataraja.html

    You got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

    - Yogi Berra

  3. Archie A

    Archie A Guest

    > Speaking of quads:
    > http://www.santosha.com/asanas/nataraja.html

    Thanks for the link
    Unfortunately I cannot consider myself to be limber enough to even
    contemplate trying any of those poses.
    I am of the opinion that yoga stretching is for the enlightened ones
    only... meaning that this requires a good degree of training and
    discipline to carry out. And yours truly lacks on both counts.
    Archie A.

  4. recycled-one

    recycled-one Guest

    "Archie A" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >> Speaking of quads:
    >> http://www.santosha.com/asanas/nataraja.html

    > Thanks for the link
    > Unfortunately I cannot consider myself to be limber enough to even
    > contemplate trying any of those poses.

    Funny enough I do do something similar to that.... in a pool. I usually
    take a stretching breather in the middle of my swim - more for the breather
    than the stretching. One of my stretches is remarkably similar to that. I
    don't think I could get the extension without water supporting me.

  5. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Archie A wrote:
    >> Speaking of quads:
    >> http://www.santosha.com/asanas/nataraja.html

    > Thanks for the link
    > Unfortunately I cannot consider myself to be limber enough to even
    > contemplate trying any of those poses.
    > I am of the opinion that yoga stretching is for the enlightened ones
    > only... meaning that this requires a good degree of training and
    > discipline to carry out. And yours truly lacks on both counts.
    > Archie A.

    Depends on where you go. If you go to one of the Walmart-style gyms and
    do yoga there, there will be others who aren't flexible either, and the
    poses won't be quite as advanced as at a yoga studio. Eventually, the
    flexibility does start to come, and you feel overall in better control
    of your body. "Eventually" means roughly four+ classes in four weeks,

    I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
    trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
    the most insidious of traitors."
    George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,