Anyone suffer from severe numbness during hard rides?

hilljunkie

Sep 27, 2004
During hard rides i've had a recurring problem with numbness in the groin area and was wondering if there were others that had encountered a similiar problem. I also experience some numbness in my hands and wrists. Anyone have any ideas how to get some relief? :eek: :confused:

The last time I felt that was during an extended bicycle tour in the Adirondacks in the mid-70's. It was bad -- we'd get off the bikes so numb that we didn't realize our bladders were full to bursting. As soon as circulation returned, we had 15 seconds or so to find a bathroom or a bush.

I haven't felt that since. Differences between now and then?

That tour featured extended periods - two or more hours at a stretch - in the saddle. I now know to vary my position, and even stand for short stretches.

You may need to check and adjust your seat height - it might be too high.

Saddles back then were instruments of torture; they're much better now.

Have you tried different seats? It took me four tries before I settled on my current seat - a Salsa Zona Tres.

If I don't vary my hand positions, I'll get numbness in the hands and wrists. Move around - ride on the hoods, move to the drops, then move to the top of the bars. I rarely keep the same hand position for more than 5 minutes at a time.

I had a lot of wrist pain that I don't get at present. You could try wrapping your hands to increase the diameter of your bars and circumference of the fingers.
However, the snag with cycling is it's very repetitive so the body will naturally have a few aches and pains. I guess the key is to make sure you get enough rest days, take a hot bath after a ride and listen to your body. Check out your seat height as well and make sure you're not in the drops too frequently.

hilljunkie said:
During hard rides i've had a recurring problem with numbness in the groin area and was wondering if there were others that had encountered a similiar problem. I also experience some numbness in my hands and wrists. Anyone have any ideas how to get some relief? :eek: :confused:

thanks for the responses. I was looking at new seats and was wondering if anyone had an opinion about any of Giants seats as I could get a hefty discount. which would be the least numbness inducing?

There's no single sadle thats going to be the least numbness inducing. Everyone is shaped differently, so it's best to try a few out and see what works for you. Positioning matters a lot too. Try adjusting your saddle so that the nose is pointed slightly down. As for your hands, get a good pair of gel gloves and move your hands around while you're riding.

hilljunkie said:
thanks for the responses. I was looking at new seats and was wondering if anyone had an opinion about any of Giants seats as I could get a hefty discount. which would be the least numbness inducing?
I am going to second the individual who mentioned saddle height. I had some numbness problems due to my saddle being too high.
Regarding the hands, I found that padded gloves caused more numbness than unpadded. Again, others have had different experiences regarding numbness.

I use a Selle Italia SLK and find this helps. You need to move around and change your position (both hands and bum). When you start to feel numb don't just stay there, pedal off the seat, you might only need 5-10 seconds every now and then. Adjust your seat so it is as near to level as you can get it. Don't point your seat down, this won't help you groin area numbness and will only put more pressure on your hands. Experiment with gradual changes in seat for and aft position and height. Also bar position and height. DO NOT put up with numbness! do something about it or you will end up with permanent damage.

Good Luck Jay.

I also use a Sella Italia SLK saddle and it has worked for me. But before that, I had discomfort issues all over the place, so I got a professional fitting at a bike shop and that took care of everything. It was well worth the $50 and the results were immediate.

I had some finger numbness, but never numbness in the nether regions. I agree with the others, do whatever it takes to correct the situation before you do permanent damage! :eek: Make adjustments, get new saddle, get a new bike... Hey, it's your sex life, what's it worth?

Another thing about seats... you mentioned Giant seats ?? It's doubtful. Most seats on off the rack bikes are not really up to serious riding. They are nearly always too soft, probably designed to feel comfy on the test ride.

Stay away from soft, wide seats in general and seats with gel in them as this usually just squashes into your sit bits more and does not help circulation. Good quality, firm narrow saddles built for racing and serious training may be harder on your **** but are much better in the long term and after you toughen up. Some of the ones with slots and cut-outs (the models WITHOUT gel) work well from makers like Selle Italia, Selle SanMarco and maybe Fizik. I would start with Italia SLK or SanMarco Aspide Arrowhead.

Jay