Anyone suggest a baby trailer for my mountain bike?

gregarpp

Guest
Anyone suggest a baby trailer for my mountain bike?

Any suggestions on brands of baby trailers to look at?

Or newsgroups or websites with info?

thanks

gregarpp wrote:
> Anyone suggest a baby trailer for my mountain bike?

We personally use a Burley Solo. It attaches easily and can be moved
from bike to bike (there's nothing that's fixed to the bike) with little
effort (we move it between my hard-tail MTB and our tandem all the
time). The wheels come off and it folds up so it'll fit into a car
trunk, and it's fairly narrow.

Plus our kid likes it. We can be out for hours, stopping at various
parks along the way, and when we're pulling into the garage he always
says "more bike ride".

It wasn't cheap, but it's worked out well and I'd buy it again.

Rich

On 30 Apr 2005 19:23:50 -0700, "gregarpp" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone suggest a baby trailer for my mountain bike?
>
>Any suggestions on brands of baby trailers to look at?
>
>Or newsgroups or websites with info?
>
>thanks

I'm sorry, I just pictured some poor infant getting towed along some serious
single track.

Ron

gregarpp <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anyone suggest a baby trailer for my mountain bike?

I used to have an "Equinox," which I bought at REI (you could check
their website, www.rei.com). I'm not sure (sold the kid trailer in favor
of a cargo hauler some years back) but the trailer may have been a Burley
product. Burley's website (www.burley.com, I think--if I'm wrong, just
Google it) would be another good place to look.
A third place you should take a look at is eBay. Search "bicycle
trailer" and you'll generally get dozens of hits and see many different
brands and types.

Happy hauling,
Bill

__o | I used to think that I was cool, running around on fossil fuel
_`\(,_ | Until I saw what I was doing was driving down the road to ruin.
(_)/ (_) | - James Taylor

"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> gregarpp wrote:
> > Anyone suggest a baby trailer for my mountain bike?

> We personally use a Burley Solo. It attaches easily and can be moved
> from bike to bike (there's nothing that's fixed to the bike) with little
> effort (we move it between my hard-tail MTB and our tandem all the
> time). The wheels come off and it folds up so it'll fit into a car
> trunk, and it's fairly narrow.
>
> Plus our kid likes it. We can be out for hours, stopping at various
> parks along the way, and when we're pulling into the garage he always
> says "more bike ride".
>
> It wasn't cheap, but it's worked out well and I'd buy it again.
>
> Rich

I also have a Burley Solo and love it. The two year old granddaughter
enjoys riding in it and I've used it to haul things for longer bike rides
with the older grandkids. This is my second Burley and I've been pleased
with both. I pull them on a road bike or hybrid but I'm sure they would
perform similarly on a mountain bike.

Beverly

"gregarpp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone suggest a baby trailer for my mountain bike?
>
> Any suggestions on brands of baby trailers to look at?
>
> Or newsgroups or websites with info?
>
> thanks

One thing to be sure of is that each wheel is supported on both sides of the
wheel axle. The Burley d'lite is fine, the Instep Rocket
(http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=FIT&p
id=00646105000) also is fine.

Get the Burley D'lite. You can sell it for 1/2 of what you paid, when you no
longer need it.

On Mon, 02 May 2005 16:40:17 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
<[email protected]>:

>One thing to be sure of is that each wheel is supported on both sides of the
>wheel axle.

A dogmatic assertion from Scharf: engage scepticism mode and check
facts. Ah yes, as I thought: it turns out that there are some good
trailers with cantilevered wheels, the Burley Solo being one (and
remember that legendary bike designer Mike Burrows uses monoblades and
cantilevered wheels on almost all his bikes).

The advantage of cantilevered wheels is that it is massively easier to
fix punctures. The disadvantage is that if they are made cheaply the
axle may bend. So, as with most desirable bike features, it's
probably worth avoiding the at cheapest end of the range.

I endorse the recommendation to check Velovision's family cycling
review.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> One thing to be sure of is that each wheel is supported on both sides of the
> wheel axle.

I've never owned a car like that. And my last motorcycle also had it's
rear wheel supported on only one side. I think modern engineering and
materials can do the same with a bike trailer...

Rich

Rich wrote:
> Steven M. Scharf wrote:
>
>> One thing to be sure of is that each wheel is supported on both sides
>> of the
>> wheel axle.

> I've never owned a car like that. And my last motorcycle also had it's
> rear wheel supported on only one side. I think modern engineering and
> materials can do the same with a bike trailer...

Aieeee! You used the "m" word.