Anyone take Creatine, is it legal

Creatine occurs naturally in the body whether you take it as a supplement or no its there. Some peoples muscles have more than others. I have no idea if it helps or not but if you start taking it and it is helping whether it be actual results or completely mental I would say keep taking it.

I'm entering power lifting in 2009, so I was looking at it from that viewpoint. Impacting cycling is not such a good thing, I am a cross trainer.

Whether it helps or doesn't is difficult to determine. Was your improvement due to whatever suppliment you took or was it simply the training. I've followed this same logic with cramps.

Is it legal? Yes. Powerlifting and Cycling follow exactly the same drug laws. I'm guessing that other sports follow the same rules too?

Whats Endurox Excel ?

http://www.bsnonline.net/teambsn/team_bio.php?name=Antony&sec=bio

Ok so here is another line of products they have some recovery stuff but it mostly NO2 related and Anthony Galvan apparently takes them lol. well we know how endorsments go. well anyway here is the site I have no exp with them.

I have cycled on and off creatine in the past right now I am not on it. I have been riding alot lately. When I got on a lift cycle I will use it. It seems to give me much more energy in the gym. It isnt that expensive if you buy just straigt mono creatine and drink it with water. I think I might try to use it this season but one thing that concerns me is how quicly your body can dehydrate while on it.

here is a pretty extensive write up on it... http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/creatineresearch12final.php

And just for anyone wondering about NO2 I have also taken that but never rode when I was on it. but my max bench press went from about 245 to 290 in a few weeks while on it. The thing about it is once you stop taking it you lose almost all your gains. I havent done any reseach on cycling performance but it forces more blood to the muscles so it might help?

djk202020 said:
And just for anyone wondering about NO2 I have also taken that but never rode when I was on it. but my max bench press went from about 245 to 290 in a few weeks while on it. The thing about it is once you stop taking it you lose almost all your gains. I havent done any reseach on cycling performance but it forces more blood to the muscles so it might help?
I'm a powerlifter who has begun cycling again. Creatine & NO2 are not steroids. There is no way anyone could get a false positive. Impossible. It in no way affects your testosterone level whatsoever. If someone "claimed" they got flagged & that's all they were taking; They're lying 100%. There is no dispute that it WILL increase your strength. As far as coffee causing problems, Well, most creatine/NO2 elixers come with caffine in them. I drink coffee & have been taking creatine & NO2 for about 8 years.

The downside with cycling is that is does cause you to hold more water in your muscles so cramping can (I know) become an issue if your not staying VERY hydrated....I can't immaging it would increase cycling times though. It only adds ATP to your system. It's good for short bursts of extra TUT (Time under tention)such as powerlifting for 1-3 reps though it does help delay fatuge.

mikesbytes said:
Lionfish, how much benifit would Creatine give me for powerlifting?
Night & day mikesbytes. I don't cycle it (no pun intended) either. No need to. I certainly don't want to make enimies here but again, I assure you there are NO 'roids or prohormones added. Pro-hormones have been banned as of Jan 2005. Also, 'roids or pro-hormones were VERY expensive to produce where as creatine is very cheap. So adding them wouldn't be profitable. All Pro-hormones are now in the same catagory as Heroine, Cocain ect....Jail time if even in the possesion of. So, your safe with that. I take "STORM" by Universal Nutrition & LOVE it! They add electrolytes and no sugar. It's a Creatine/NO2 mix & I live by it. I Also take SHOCK THEARAPY by the same co. They added caffine & Garauna (i can't spell that) & take Storm after workout. From http://www.dpsnutrition.net/ it's about $30 bucks a month which is a bargain. Watch for the Guarana in the Shock Theatapy in case that's a banned substance. I'll do a on & off comparo in the spring up Skyline drive in Reading PA. (very long & steep) & post my honest feelings on the stuff. Again, the added body weight may even out the difference or make it worse. I'll try to stay in the same shape both times & go by stopwatch & "Feel" after the climb. As far as Powerlifting, I don't know any in the "Circle" who DOESN'T take it. It works hands down.
Nice talking with ya' Mike!
Shawn

Thanks for the info Shawn,
Whiles theres conflicting info on Creatine, it seems that it may benifit vets like me a bit more than younger guys/gals. It also appears to be a slight disadvantage for cycling, due to a little more weight. However the benifit to powerlifting seems to outweight the detriment to cycling.

There seem to be very few people around who cross train more than one disicpline.

BTW, what part of the world are you in?

mikesbytes said:
Thanks for the info Shawn,
Whiles theres conflicting info on Creatine, it seems that it may benifit vets like me a bit more than younger guys/gals. It also appears to be a slight disadvantage for cycling, due to a little more weight. However the benifit to powerlifting seems to outweight the detriment to cycling.
I agree- I lift and bike and I take 5g creatine monohydrate daily. I don't find anything detrimental as to cycling- if anything, my endurance is much better. And, my lifting definitely is as well.

BTW- a few tips. Don't waste your money on fancy creatine supps- just get pure creatine monohydrate powder. That includes creatine with sugar (usually sucrose). Just add sugar to the liquid you mix it with. And, contrary to an earlier post, sthe sugar enhances uptake- it has nothing to do with recovery. Most people take creatine before,not after a workout. It's worth going a little extra to get the micro, as that will pretty much completely dissolve (regular doesn't). Don't worry about getting the capsules either- you pay a lot more for the convenience of not having to mix the powder in liquid (water, non-citrus juice, or milk are good). Although, the caps are handy for when you're traveling. Finally, stay well-hydrated, especially in the summer.

Good luck and enjoy the results!

Thanks Trailrider, will start taking it as soon as I have some. Just need a good source for it in Australia.

Didn't know that mixing sugar with it was benificial.

BTY trailrider, whats your view on wrist straps? I keep dropping the bar in DL at 2X weight due to hand problems and I'm training at a cardio bunny gym (I'm also a cardio bunny too), so no chalk. I've resisted going to them as I want my hand strength to improve, but I'm tempted.

mikesbytes said:
Thanks Trailrider, will start taking it as soon as I have some. Just need a good source for it in Australia.

Didn't know that mixing sugar with it was benificial.
Glad to help! There's a bit of (minor) controversy about taking creatine with sugar. The idea is that sugar stimulates insulin production and that insulin facilitates creatine transport to the muscle. You don't need to take sugar per se to get the effect- any simple carb will do. BTW, the sugar supplement can be taken after your workout- doesn't have to be done with the creatine at the same time. And, don't feel like you need to take it at all. But, just as an example, I take mine with a teaspoonful of table sugar, or plain in water, pre-workout. If I take it plain, I add a teaspoon or two of maple syrup to a cup of cottage cheese as my post-workout meal. I don't use whey powder post-workout, as it's good to have a slow-release protein then, and I don't feel like putting out the cash for slow-release whey protein (it's a lot of money to spend for casein, IMO, and cottage cheese tastes better!).

mikesbytes said:
BTY trailrider, whats your view on wrist straps? I keep dropping the bar in DL at 2X weight due to hand problems and I'm training at a cardio bunny gym (I'm also a cardio bunny too), so no chalk. I've resisted going to them as I want my hand strength to improve, but I'm tempted.
I'd use them, but carefully. I've seen people use straps to over-compensate- that is, to lift weight they really aren't ready for. But first, what grip are you using? Although many swear by a uniform (palms-down) grip, I (and others) prefer mixed (one hand down, the other up), and then switch between sets so you get uniform development.

As to hand and wrist development- I had the same problem due to small hands and wrists- olympic bars are hard on me above 250lb! So, I spent a summer a couple of years ago focusing on hand and wrist strength, doing lots of wrist curls, reverse wrist curls (both with DBs as well as BBs), and I used adjustable hand grips. A very wise investment indeed! I have to admit, though- I'm staying away from DLs- they make my glutes too big :eek:. I do hypers for lower back, and stick with squats for quads (and to keep the glutes at a manageable size) and SLDLs for the hammies. Even so, the SLDLs can be hard on the wrists- especially since I incorporate shrugs at the top of the lift (I do miss the way DLs work the traps, though).

My max hand grip strenght with straight grip is 100kg/220lbs, although I can pump out a few Romainian DL's at 120kg/264lbs. Past 100kg/220lbs for standard DL's or DL's standing on a platform, with toes toching bar, I use mixed grip, however I've only being doing it one way, so I need some discipline to reverse hands.

I've been doing the exact same wrist exercises, once a week. Barbell or dumbell for wrist curls and dumbell only for reverse wrist curls. I've also been doing another exercise, (sorry I don't know the name) where you pick the bar up behind your back and roll it up and down the fingers and palms.

I really suck at shrugs, my limit is 100kg/220lbs and it doesn't matter if I use a free bar or the smith machine. My hands simply fail on me.

mikesbytes said:
I really suck at shrugs, my limit is 100kg/220lbs and it doesn't matter if I use a free bar or the smith machine. My hands simply fail on me.
Sounds like you're doing the right things. You might try straps though- you're obviously an experienced lifter, so you know what to look out for. As to shrugs, have you tried a shrug bar? I'd love to get one these babies, but my wife would not be too happy about that, given that I have my cage in the bedroom :D:D:D. The nice thing about shrug bars is that it keeps your palms facing in- much more natural than facing back toward you!

Doubt that I'll be in your league, I've basically mucked around with weights since 1999 and I've only learnt to eat correctly in the last 9 months.

Cage in the bedroom ha ha. Your be in tune with the cyclist here who have bikes, both dead and alive throughout their houses.

There's a small group of power lifters who train at a gym not far from where I work, for squats they have nothing except a rack to take it off, so I don't know what the do if they fail.

Blonde moment, whats a shrug bar?

mikesbytes said:
Doubt that I'll be in your league, I've basically mucked around with weights since 1999 and I've only learnt to eat correctly in the last 9 months.

Cage in the bedroom ha ha. Your be in tune with the cyclist here who have bikes, both dead and alive throughout their houses.

There's a small group of power lifters who train at a gym not far from where I work, for squats they have nothing except a rack to take it off, so I don't know what the do if they fail.

Blonde moment, whats a shrug bar?
That's cool- eating right is 2/3 the battle, I think! Yeah, she really loves that :p olymbic bars, plates, full power cage with bench, plus DBs. I hear about it daily :rolleyes:. Oh- I forgot about the MTB in the living room and the soon-to-buy roadie that will assume a place of honor right next to the MTB! At least the roadie will be sort of color coordinated- I'm getting a Bianchi Brava... in celeste, of course. Could have been worse- I almost got the Forza- bright flame red :D

A shrug bar is sometimes called a hex bar. a picture's worth a 1000 words: http://www.pfc-fitness.com/index.cf...ull/MenuGroup/Home Fitness/desc/Shrug Bar.htm

BTW, do you know about exrx.net? It's a great site for learning and targeting lifts- it's got videos. I use it frequently to check form and look for new lifts.

mikesbytes said:
Are you using an over/under grip? (One palms away; one towards you) Straps are good for overall body strength but since they're not aloud in Competition your 1 rep max will be dependent on hand strength. I do 365lbs overhanded bar hangs (palms towards me) for 60 seconds 3 reps with about 5-8 minutes inbetween for recovery. Pull it off a box so you don't have to deadlift it. Just a few inches to focus on your grip & not the lift. Whatever weight amount you use do it AFTER your normal workout 'cause your grip will be spent for hours afterwards. Sometimes I can't even open a door shortly afterwards so you'll be going to your happy place during you second set if the weight is where it should be. Only do it once a week or every other week. Once your grip improves your DL with skyrocket!
P.S. I'm in USA
Shawn