Anyone torn a calf muscle?

samcrx3

Apr 25, 2005
Hi there,
Went for a wonderful ride yesterday with our group and had dinner at the local pub. I was just about to ride back to my car and as walking across the the median strip with my bike, I must of put my leg down in the wrong way and all of a sudden had a sharp searing pain in my calf. Initially I thought it was a cramp, but now I think I've somehow strained or torn the calf muscle as I can't walk properly on my leg and the calf muscle is really tender. I'm doing all the right things - rest, elevation, anti-inflammatory cream. I'm going to the physio today. Has anyone had this type of injury and how long does this take to heal? I'm a bit annoyed because I really enjoyed getting back into riding.
Thanks Sam

Yes, I have experienced 6 strains since 2000. About 1 a year for the past 6 years.
All of mine were pretty minor and the last one may have been torn muscle fascia with rehab times from about 4 to 6 weeks. The first two weeks with complete rest or isolation to restrict movement at the injury the best that I could.

Keep doing the treatment like you are doing and make sure you apply ice at intervals when you can for the next several days. My chiro also used ultrasound, though I am not sure if it did much good, but it was supposed to help with deep tissue later in the rehab to help with the scar tissue that may form.

Strains are rated by different levels so it will depend on how severe your strain might be to determine rehab time, but your physio will be able to guide you better on time line.

On my last quadricep strain I used the spin bike as per of my rehab starting with no tension and just using a free spin to help cirulate blood in the area. Over the next several weeks I added a little more tension.

It should only set you back a few weeks, but don't rush the rehab or you could end up with it fully tearing.

Thanks Felt Rider for your experience. I think I must have done a relatively minor injury, but painful all the same. Took a couple of days before I could walk properly on my leg without limping. Calf is still sore and am treating it gently. Can you tell the difference between a pull of the muscle and a tear?

Do you think it is still worth seeing a physio about it? I couldn't get into one until Monday because of the holidays here.
thanks Sam.

samcrx3 said:
Hi there,
Went for a wonderful ride yesterday with our group and had dinner at the local pub. I was just about to ride back to my car and as walking across the the median strip with my bike, I must of put my leg down in the wrong way and all of a sudden had a sharp searing pain in my calf. Initially I thought it was a cramp, but now I think I've somehow strained or torn the calf muscle as I can't walk properly on my leg and the calf muscle is really tender. I'm doing all the right things - rest, elevation, anti-inflammatory cream. I'm going to the physio today. Has anyone had this type of injury and how long does this take to heal? I'm a bit annoyed because I really enjoyed getting back into riding.
Thanks Sam
Tore both left and right (at different times) playing soccer. Took maybe 2 weeks before I could walk normally and perhaps 6-8 weeks before I could run again, and still longer for things to return to normal. The first time, my leg swelled up 3 days later so much as to make my skin extremely tight, resulting in acute compartment syndrome (not fun).

FWIW, during recovery and when returning to activity, I found it useful to wear relatively tight compression sleeves (similar to leg warmers but fairly tight and made of neoprene) on my calf.

samcrx3 said:
Hi there,
Thanks Sam
Bike riding is usually pretty easy on calf strains. Easier than running at least. You can ride just as soon as it doesn't hurt to do so. Stick with the flats and easy gears. Get pulsed, then continuous ultrasound at the physio. Try microcurrent and laser therapy. Do mostly gentle stretches at first, and then do stability training. If your PT skips stability training, skip that PT. Strength comes later but is likely not as important as stability training and flexibility anyway. Power comes last in the rehab cycle.

Good luck. Remember that scar tissue is permanent, weaker and more pain sensitive than uninjured tissue. Now, go get a foam roller and MFR the knots out, daily.

samcrx3 said:
Thanks Felt Rider for your experience. I think I must have done a relatively minor injury, but painful all the same. Took a couple of days before I could walk properly on my leg without limping. Calf is still sore and am treating it gently. Can you tell the difference between a pull of the muscle and a tear?

Do you think it is still worth seeing a physio about it? I couldn't get into one until Monday because of the holidays here.
thanks Sam.
If you are limping it may be fairly minor and will take only a few weeks of rehab.
Like OldGoat stated I used elastic tape for compression or a neoprene wrap and that would help comfort the area a little. It is hard to tell and the only way I could tell on mine is how much bruising would show up in the following days. Mine were strains in the upper legs and the blood (bruising) would show up down at the knees or calves because of gravity.

Light massage would be good to start with and then in a couple of weeks a deeper massage, but the ultrasound is good to start now if you have that ability and can afford to see a professional. Light spinning will help in recovery. Otherwise your injury does sound pretty minor. With mine I could not walk without help of a cane or railing for the first couple of weeks.