Anyone trained while eating keto?

If there's no protein to burn the body will burn the available fat. This does not mean that the speed of burning will increase and it most certainly does no. So if you are using a keto diet you will simply have to ride slower.

If there's no protein to burn the body will burn the available fat. This does not mean that the speed of burning will increase and it most certainly does no. So if you are using a keto diet you will simply have to ride slower.

The body frequently will break down it's own muscle for protein before or in addition to fat, so there goes your hypothesis. That is what starts off the path to ketoacidosis. The byproducts from the process in your blood can do serious kidney damage.

Tell us J - where do you get the idea that the body would break down it's own muscle except under extreme conditions? The fact is that no one but the very highest level athletes could drive themselves hard enough to do that and they know not to.

What happens is that when you run out of food to digest your body will begin burning fat but this process is very slow and your power output drops dramatically. For the j's among us that means you slow down - a lot.

Tell us J - where do you get the idea that the body would break down it's own muscle except under extreme conditions? The fact is that no one but the very highest level athletes could drive themselves hard enough to do that and they know not to.

What happens is that when you run out of food to digest your body will begin burning fat but this process is very slow and your power output drops dramatically. For the j's among us that means you slow down - a lot.

Ketoacidosis isn't just some idea that I got. It is well known medical condition and keeping your body in Ketosis can lead there. I know 4 people that were so stuck on this keto eating **** that ended in the hospital with it, none of them diabetic.

From the looks of you, you're perhaps a little too careful with your own exercise programs and making up reasons to not exercise. Simply normal eating and exercise can keep you in good shape. At 72 my blood pressure is 110/60 and my weight is exactly at the proper weight for my height.

Four times a week I ride at least 30 miles and as much as 60. If I ride a century I normally do a metric but I have done full centuries with groups. We have a man 82 in the group that does rides that are under 40 miles. We average 12 mph on these sorts of rides so we're not hanging around - to ride this fast on rolling terrain with stop lights etc. you have to ride 18 mph or so. I average speeds of over 12 mph with 8% plus climbs for 1500 feet.

If people want to use some whacko diet because they believe that is the way to lose weight that is their business and they will invariably not lose weight.

But if you think that keto diets are somehow unhealthy explain how I can do a 70 mile ride without eating anything. As I said - you simply lose all your energy and slow down to a crawl.

Hey,

Sounds like you've got a solid grasp on your endurance riding and nutrition! Riding at lower intensities can indeed help avoid the dreaded "bonk." When it comes to sprinting, though, things get a bit more intense.

To improve your sprinting skills, focus on high-intensity interval training (HIIT). Short, intense bursts of effort followed by recovery periods can help boost your power and speed. Technique-wise, remember it's all about explosive power, efficient pedaling, and good body positioning.

In professional races, you'll often see riders using lead-out trains to set up their sprints. This involves a team working together to reach high speeds in the final stages of the race, creating a slipstream for the sprinter to follow. The sprinter then launches their attack in the final few hundred meters.

Lastly, don't forget the practical approach. Practice your sprints during your rides, and consider using a power meter to track your progress. It's not just about going fast; it's about generating maximum power in the shortest time possible.

Keep riding and sprinting!

SprintSavvySteve :)