anyone transformed a hartail into a touring bike?

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by canali, Aug 22, 2003.

1. canali

canali New Member

Has one ever successfully (key word, here in terms of rider comfort) done this...i was reading a lengthy article written on the web by a chap named desousa (here's the web link: briandesousa.com/bicycling/tech/convert.htm ) and he says/shows
    how its' done.

this interests me as i have a fab (used) dekerf generation hardtail (handbuild by chris dekerf out here in vancouver bc, who used to make the bikes for Rocky Mountain)....but I am thinking
    of getting a touring bike for its larger 700cc wheels and geometry, ie., drop bars vs straight..

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Feel free to email me directly at
    [email protected]

Tags:

2. archie

archie New Member

3. archie

archie New Member

i have a KHS hardtail that im converting at the moment for a 3000km tour accross the nullarbor (western australia to victoria).

ive changed the handlebars to a special touring type only made in aus, that allow lots of hand positions.

i plan to use a trailer(bob yak) rather than panniers .

4. Icarus29

Icarus29 New Member

I have a brodie hard tail and have used it for several tours. The longest of wich was 1100 km. If the tour is on pvement the tires can be switched for 1.25" thick mountain bike tires pretty easily. Just pop on the other tires and tubes.

You're probably wondering about a system to attach front paniers to the suspension. I did this with a couple brackets from home depot. The brackets fasten snug around the shocks, and the panier rack attaches to the brackets. Make sure it's tight though. Or the brackets will slide down once you're on the road. One way to prevent this is by wrapping a little duct tape around the suspension forks just below the panier brackets.

Good luck.

5. archie

archie New Member

there are some mtb suspension fork pannier racks on the market. cant remember what they are called, but they are apparentl good.