Anyone Tried The 06 Specialized Toupe Saddle?

I'm a big bloke and I use a 130... loveit, loveit, loveit!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm selling my Ariones and buying another Toupe.

There's a few on eBay (search: Toupe in "cycling"). One ends in 40 mins. No bids so far. Starting price US$110.

Specialized, I thank you from the Heart of my Bottom!

Been riding the Toupe for 1500+ miles. Just took it on a 115 mile ride with 10,000 feet of climbing in prep for a double century. For a tiny looking minimalist saddle, it is very comfortable. Tried a minamalist Selle Italia SLR Carbonio which weighs almost as much as the Toupe and it was very painful after 75 miles. Will know in 3 weeks if the Toupe can take the 16+ hours of the hilly double. Fingers crossed.

As I said earlier, I love my Toupe. One thing everybody ought to watch out for, is the tip of the nose coming off and getting lost. It has two small tabs that snap onto the body of the seat, to hold it on. Mine came off once, but I found it and put it back on, and forgot about it. Last weekend, I realized it was missing again. If yours is loose, you may want to put a drop of epoxy under it. I called Specialized and they could not have been nicer about it. They mailed me one on Thursday, hopefully I will have it early next week. I will definitely put some glue under it this time.

I got one the other day, and I tried it out yesterday, but man I rode 25 miles, and I got to tell you the pain was very tough. I might just have to get my sit bones callased. Because this seat is hard, no padding, so I'm hoping since I paid so much for this seat it can get comfortable. It was weird, the first time I used it, my lower back was taking a beating also for some reason, maybe I need it fitted better?

Even though all saddles in the world require near perfect fitting, ones that don't have a lot of padding, like that one, require it more. In other words, if the tilt and position on the rails is wrong than your bound to have mucho pain!

Replaced my Arione with the Taupe. I prefer the Taupe - works well for me - better than any of the other saddles I have tried.

Jim

If anyone has a Toupe in 143 size, and is unhappy with it, send me an email, I am interested in buying an extra. Also, if somebody wants to trade one for a new Terry Fly Titanium, I have one of those I would consider trading.

how about regular toupe vs gel toupe ....how do they compare? I like a pretty minimalist saddle, so would the gel be too much?

I have! It was recommended to me by the LBS too. They measured me using the gel pad to make sure I got the right size. I tried it for several months and was determined to make it work because I spent so much on that saddle. After many, many miles ( I ride about 4 times a week/40 plus a ride), and many micro adjustments; I was not able to make it a comfortable saddle for me. After about 20 miles,it would feel as it was cutting into my inner buttock region. I finally switched to a SMP glider. WOW, its like sitting in a reclyner. Ive logged acouple of centuries on it and it never feels uncomforatable. I just had to come to the realization that the Specailized was just not the right saddle for me( nothing against the company product).
On another note...The LBS alowed me to put the SMP on my bike and I was able to try it in the parking lot. I immediately found it very comfortable when I mounted the bike. Something I wish I would have done /known before dummping $170 on the Toupe. Hope it helps.