Anyone tried the "Green Light Trigger Device"?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Adam Crawford, May 13, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Dr. Dave

    Dr. Dave Guest

    Adam Crawford wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was thinking of buying this magnetic "green light trigger device" for non-bike-sensitive traffic
    > sensors:
    >
    > http://checkout.verisign.com/cgi-bin/ePages.filereader?3ec0971000199fba271fc0a80138067e+EN/produc-
    > ts/123656&2D2267901
    >
    > It's made for motorcycles but the web site claims it works for bicycles too. Has anyone tried it?
    > Does it actually work?
    >
    > Thanks, Adam
    As a physicist, my guess is that it will work no better than a small magnet you can get at Radio
    Shack for a couple of bucks.

  3. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    You stop for a red light?

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~zxron/spartaan/pictures/20030511_28.jpg

    "Adam Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was thinking of buying this magnetic "green light trigger device" for non-bike-sensitive traffic
    > sensors:

    http://checkout.verisign.com/cgi-bin/ePages.filereader?3ec0971000199fba271fc
    a80138067e+EN/products/123656&2D2267901

    > It's made for motorcycles but the web site claims it works for bicycles too. Has anyone tried it?
    > Does it actually work?
    >
    > Thanks, Adam

  4. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 07:48:27 GMT, "dr. dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >As a physicist, my guess is that it will work no better than a small magnet you can get at Radio
    >Shack for a couple of bucks.

    You'd want the longest and thinnest magnet you can manage, mounted front to back though.

    I ride a lot over a nearby hump-backed single-lane bridge, controlled by traffic lights. The steel
    framed commuter triggers the loops easily, the titanium Habanero doesn't.

    Loop sensitivity is adjustable. Those on slow roads are usually set to be more sensitive. If there
    are a lot of cyclists having trouble with a fast commuter road junction, when there's no traffic at
    night, then it's worth writing to the local twiddlers of such things.

  5. David Storm

    David Storm Guest

    You do in Sacramento. Running red light fine is same as car, $250.

    "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You stop for a red light?
    >
    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~zxron/spartaan/pictures/20030511_28.jpg
    >

    > "Adam Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I was thinking of buying this magnetic "green light trigger device" for non-bike-sensitive
    > > traffic sensors:

    http://checkout.verisign.com/cgi-bin/ePages.filereader?3ec0971000199fba271fc
    > a80138067e+EN/products/123656&2D2267901
    > >
    > > It's made for motorcycles but the web site claims it works for bicycles too. Has anyone tried
    > > it? Does it actually work?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Adam

  6. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > You do in Sacramento. Running red light fine is same as car, $250.

    Wow, that's a hefty fine. It's only 23 euros here (Holland) so almost everybody does it, most of the
    time police doesn't even bother, some people think it as being their right by now. The fine for
    running a red light by car is only 86 euros, i think that should be a lot higher though. The risk of
    serious accidents is much higher than running a red light by bike/foot where it's wise to make sure
    no traffic is coming.

    "David Storm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You do in Sacramento. Running red light fine is same as car, $250.
    >

    > "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > You stop for a red light?
    > >
    > > http://www.xs4all.nl/~zxron/spartaan/pictures/20030511_28.jpg
    > >

    > > "Adam Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I was thinking of buying this magnetic "green light trigger device" for non-bike-sensitive
    > > > traffic sensors:

    http://checkout.verisign.com/cgi-bin/ePages.filereader?3ec0971000199fba271fc
    > > a80138067e+EN/products/123656&2D2267901
    > > >
    > > > It's made for motorcycles but the web site claims it works for bicycles too. Has anyone tried
    > > > it? Does it actually work?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks, Adam

  7. David Storm

    David Storm Guest

    "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > You do in Sacramento. Running red light fine is same as car, $250.
    >
    > Wow, that's a hefty fine. It's only 23 euros here (Holland) so almost everybody does it, most of
    > the time police doesn't even bother, some
    people
    > think it as being their right by now. The fine for running a red light by car is only 86 euros, i
    > think that should be a lot higher though. The risk of serious accidents is much higher than
    > running a red light by bike/foot where it's wise to make sure no traffic is coming.

    In some ways Sacto is outright bike hostile. In some neighborhoods residents have complained to
    police about all the bikes running stop signs...we're a real hazard to society. They have managed to
    get stop signs placed at every street to discourage/slow traffic in their neighborhoods. As a
    result, the police lay in wait specifically for bikes running lights. Its easier than stopping cars
    or catching dope dealers in the park.

    > "David Storm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > You do in Sacramento. Running red light fine is same as car, $250.
    > >

    > > "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > You stop for a red light?
    > > >
    > > > http://www.xs4all.nl/~zxron/spartaan/pictures/20030511_28.jpg
    > > >

    > > > "Adam Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    http://checkout.verisign.com/cgi-bin/ePages.filereader?3ec0971000199fba271fc
    > > > a80138067e+EN/products/123656&2D2267901

  8. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

    > Not to mention threads being mangled by clumsy mechanics.

    <g>

    I never would have the confidence to claim to be a master bike mechanic, but I'm pretty handy with a
    wrench, and I know how to read...

    > People who used good headsets, like Shimano or Chris King, with factory threaded forks, never
    > needed them.

    Mine *was* a Shimano HS (older, XT, I believe).

    Upon more reflexion, there was one little point that I neglected to mention: The fork was rigid
    (hey, I stated that it was an older bike). The riding I do is in pretty rocky terrain, so the load
    levels my HS was experiencing might well have had an effect, too.

    Like I said, all of this is currently a non-issue anyway: Threadless HS's, for whatever reason they
    were invented, are now the industry standard. I recently tried to acquire a new suspension fork for
    my Bonty Race Lite (stock HS is 1" threaded); apparently, a threaded version is no longer available,
    and that's not mentioning how difficult even finding a 1" steerer was...

    cheers, john

  9. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    "David Storm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]rldnet.att.net...
    > "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > You do in Sacramento. Running red light fine is same as car, $250.
    > >
    > > Wow, that's a hefty fine. It's only 23 euros here (Holland) so almost everybody does it, most of
    > > the time police doesn't even bother, some
    > people
    > > think it as being their right by now. The fine for running a red light
    by
    > > car is only 86 euros, i think that should be a lot higher though. The
    risk
    > > of serious accidents is much higher than running a red light by
    bike/foot
    > > where it's wise to make sure no traffic is coming.
    >
    > In some ways Sacto is outright bike hostile. In some neighborhoods residents have complained to
    > police about all the bikes running stop signs...we're a real hazard to society. They have managed
    > to get stop signs placed at every street to discourage/slow traffic in their neighborhoods. As a
    > result, the police lay in wait specifically for bikes running lights. Its easier than stopping
    > cars or catching dope dealers in the park.

    It's basically a new tax, cops justify their overtime pay by writing tickets or they don't get it.

    Hawke

  10. Bob Garrison

    Bob Garrison Guest

    "Hawke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "David Storm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Wow, that's a hefty fine. It's only 23 euros here (Holland) so almost everybody does it, most
    > > > of the time police doesn't even bother, some
    > > people
    > > > think it as being their right by now. The fine for running a red light
    > by
    > > > car is only 86 euros, i think that should be a lot higher though. The
    > risk
    > > > of serious accidents is much higher than running a red light by
    > bike/foot
    > > > where it's wise to make sure no traffic is coming.
    > >
    > > In some ways Sacto is outright bike hostile. In some neighborhoods residents have complained to
    > > police about all the bikes running stop signs...we're a real hazard to society. They have
    > > managed to get stop signs placed at every street to discourage/slow traffic in their
    > > neighborhoods. As a result, the police lay in wait specifically for bikes running lights. Its
    > > easier than stopping cars or catching dope dealers in the park.
    >
    > It's basically a new tax, cops justify their overtime pay by writing
    tickets
    > or they don't get it.
    >
    > Hawke

    Quit your freakin' whining and stop for the damn light!!!

  11. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:O%[email protected]...
    > "David Storm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > In some ways Sacto is outright bike hostile. In some neighborhoods residents have complained to
    > > police about all the bikes running stop signs...we're a real hazard to society. They have
    > > managed to get stop signs placed at every street to discourage/slow traffic in their
    > > neighborhoods. As a result, the police lay in wait specifically for bikes running lights. Its
    > > easier than stopping cars or catching dope dealers in the park.
    >
    > Cambridge, MA has had a similar "crack down" on cyclists. Funny thing is
    that
    > the local cycling "advocates" supported it.

    I can see that both ways. "Picking on cyclists" of course is lame given the general shape of society
    and all the possible things police might be doing or not doing on any given day.(that gets quickly
    political, doesn't it?)

    However there is a lunatic fringe of cyclists who do not stop at stop signs nor even at red lights
    who are a hazard in the roadway and might just as well be shot as ticketed for all I care. OK that's
    a bit strong but I've been hit by a cyclist and have had many near-misses over the years both from
    arterial violations and wrong-way riders.

    The sad truth is that a ticket will hardly change the behavior of those so little civlized as to
    argue that they should be exempt from normal traffic rules. And I am not exaggerating either.
    Many cyclists here will tell you with a straight face that stop signs should not apply to
    cyclists! As if!

  12. Save your money. Pull up to one edge of the sensor ring, place one foot inside the ring and lean
    your bike towards the center of the ring until the top tube is level with your knee.

    Hold it there untill the light changes. (Note, this may not work if your frame is made of
    carbon fiber).

    For a more detailed explination (and many other tips) go to my website (see below).

  13. "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > You do in Sacramento. Running red light fine is same as car, $250.
    >
    > Wow, that's a hefty fine. It's only 23 euros here (Holland) so almost everybody does it, most of
    > the time police doesn't even bother, some people think it as being their right by now. The fine
    > for running a red light by car is only 86 euros, i think that should be a lot higher though. The
    > risk of serious accidents is much higher than running a red light by bike/foot where it's wise to
    > make sure no traffic is coming.

    In Quebec it's only a $27 fine (about 19$ US), and it's rarely enforced except maybe at the end of
    the month. However, if you're caught and you happen to also have a driver's license, you get 3
    demerit points (out of 15). So theoretically, roll through 5 stop signs on your bike and you lose
    your driver's license. And each point you rack up raises your insurance too. I don't know whether
    this is designed to get people to give up their driver's licenses and start biking everywhere, or to
    give up their bikes and start driving everywhere.

    -Adam

  14. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:O%[email protected]...

    > > Cambridge, MA has had a similar "crack down" on cyclists. Funny thing is
    > that
    > > the local cycling "advocates" supported it.
    >

    > I can see that both ways. "Picking on cyclists" of course is lame given the general shape of
    > society and all the possible things police might be doing or not doing on any given day.(that gets
    > quickly political, doesn't it?)
    >
    > However there is a lunatic fringe of cyclists who do not stop at stop signs nor even at red lights
    > who are a hazard in the roadway and might just as well be shot as ticketed for all I care. OK
    > that's a bit strong but I've been hit by a cyclist and have had many near-misses over the years
    > both from arterial violations and wrong-way riders.

    Yeah, I can see it both ways, too. I don't think cyclists represent the same threat as motorists
    do. Unfortunately, I think these "crack downs" are over-reactions and seem to give cops an
    outlet for their anti-bike sentiments. In the long run, red light running cyclists are a
    self-correcting problem.

  15. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Adam
    Crawford) writes:

    >I was thinking of buying this magnetic "green light trigger device" for non-bike-sensitive
    >traffic sensors:

    The FAQ has (or at least, had) an article about this. If you know where the sensor is you can put
    your wheel right on top of it and have at least some chance of tripping the light. It works
    frequently where I live.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  16. Erik Freitag

    Erik Freitag Guest

    In <[email protected]> Adam Crawford wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was thinking of buying this magnetic "green light trigger device" for non-bike-sensitive traffic
    > sensors:
    >
    > http://checkout.verisign.com/cgi-bin/ePages.filereader?
    > 3ec0971000199fba271fc0a80138067e+EN/products/123656&2D2267901
    >
    > It's made for motorcycles but the web site claims it works for bicycles too. Has anyone tried it?
    > Does it actually work?
    >
    > Thanks, Adam

    So we know a lot of readers don't stop for red lights, stop signs, brick walls, etc. For those of us
    who do stop, has anyone tried this green light trigger? Does it actually work? There's a left-turn
    signal in Castro Valley that's about to put me into the wild-eyed lawbreaker category, and $9.95
    seems like a small price to pay to stay off the front page.

  17. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "Erik Freitag" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In <[email protected]> Adam Crawford wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I was thinking of buying this magnetic "green light trigger device" for non-bike-sensitive
    > > traffic sensors:
    > >
    > > http://checkout.verisign.com/cgi-bin/ePages.filereader?
    > > 3ec0971000199fba271fc0a80138067e+EN/products/123656&2D2267901
    > >
    > > It's made for motorcycles but the web site claims it works for bicycles too. Has anyone tried
    > > it? Does it actually work?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Adam
    > >

    > So we know a lot of readers don't stop for red lights, stop signs, brick walls, etc. For those of
    > us who do stop, has anyone tried this green light trigger? Does it actually work? There's a
    > left-turn signal in Castro Valley that's about to put me into the wild-eyed lawbreaker category,
    > and $9.95 seems like a small price to pay to stay off the front page.

    You're not a lawbreaker (wild-eyed, or otherwise), if the light doesn't change for you when it
    should. Per California vehicle code, you can consider it a "broken signal", and proceed with
    due caution.

    GG

  18. Erik Freitag

    Erik Freitag Guest

    In <[email protected]> GaryG wrote:
    > "Erik Freitag" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> In <[email protected]> Adam Crawford wrote:
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I was thinking of buying this magnetic "green light trigger device" for non-bike-sensitive
    >> > traffic sensors:
    >> >
    >> > http://checkout.verisign.com/cgi-bin/ePages.filereader?
    >>
    >> ... Does it actually work? There's a left-turn signal in Castro Valley that's about to put me
    >> into the wild-eyed lawbreaker category, and $9.95 seems like a small price to pay to stay off the
    >> front page.
    >
    > You're not a lawbreaker (wild-eyed, or otherwise), if the light doesn't change for you when it
    > should. Per California vehicle code, you can consider it a "broken signal", and proceed with due
    > caution.
    >
    > GG

    .. and I do. I give up on trying to get an answer to the original poster's question. I'll probably
    just buy one of the darned things and try it.

  19. In article <O%[email protected]>, "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "David Storm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > In some ways Sacto is outright bike hostile. In some neighborhoods residents have complained to
    > > police about all the bikes running stop signs...we're a real hazard to society. They have
    > > managed to get stop signs placed at every street to discourage/slow traffic in their
    > > neighborhoods. As a result, the police lay in wait specifically for bikes running lights. Its
    > > easier than stopping cars or catching dope dealers in the park.
    >
    > Cambridge, MA has had a similar "crack down" on cyclists. Funny thing is that the local cycling
    > "advocates" supported it.

    Well, I don't think cyclists should be cracked down on MORE for running red lights than motorists
    are, but it's not a bad idea to show that the traffic laws apply to them the same as to the
    motorists. If that means nabbing the ones who run the red, so be it.

    Personally, I think every cyclist out there who doesn't follow the rules of the road when he's on it
    makes the case for good cyclists weaker--because he convinces motorists that cyclists have some sort
    of unfair advantage over them because they don't have to obey the traffic laws, or that cyclists
    simply choose to disregard them. It's this kind of feeling that probably often spawns the "Get off
    the f****** road!" mentality. True, some of these jerks don't want to share the road with their
    fellow *motorists*--much less a cyclist--but some probably think cyclists don't belong on the road
    because they don't follow the rules. They see guys running red lights, weaving from the road to the
    sidewalk to bypass traffic stopped at the light and then getting back on the road, riding on the
    left, not using hand signals, etc., and acting in otherwise completely unpredictable ways a motorist
    could never get away with--and their reaction to all this is "[email protected]#*%$!' bicycles..." And then they
    yell at me--and here I am following all the rules.
    --
    Trudi "Just like Pagliacci did..."--Smokey Robinson
    ____

  20. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Trudi Marrapodi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Personally, I think every cyclist out there who doesn't follow the rules of the road when he's on
    > it makes the case for good cyclists weaker--because he convinces motorists that cyclists have some
    > sort of unfair advantage over them because they don't have to obey the traffic laws, or that
    > cyclists simply choose to disregard them. It's this kind of feeling that probably often spawns the
    > "Get off the f****** road!" mentality.

    I've heard this argument often, but I don't believe it. I think it's just a convenient
    rationalization for motorists and cops to use to justify their dislike for cyclists. Motorists also
    get real testy about cyclists slowing them down, even in stop & go traffic, where it's easy to see
    that there's no real impact. Most hostile drivers seem to be suffering the misunderstanding that
    cyclists are require to stay out of their way, or aren't allowed on the street at all. At least this
    is what the communicative ones tell me.