Anyone tried the "Green Light Trigger Device"?

Erik Freitag <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'll probably just buy one of the darned things and try it.

Please report back on its utility. I'm skeptical, and their page complaining that magazine reviewers
don't test it properly makes me even more suspicious.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Trackstanding stops aren't allowed in Gainesville Florida. Even though the state statute doesn't
> say a word about stopping with a foot down, the lack of movement of the wheels means **** to cops.

Not allowed by the cops or not allowed by the courts? What is the legal definition of stopping to
satisfy the requirements of a stop sign in Florida? Does the legal definition vary from state to
state, or even from city to city? Do Gainesville's finest prosecute motorists who don't open their
door and put a foot on the pavement at stop signs? I would have thought that if the wheels were not
rolling and the tyres were not skidding you were stopped.

I'm in the UK BTW and genuinely interested in the answers.

--
Dave...

In <[email protected]> Chris Zacho "The Wheelman wrote:
> "Brick walls"? LOL! Seriously, though, yes I once tried epoxy-ing a strong magnet onto the
> underside of one of my Look pedals and, as I stood at the stop light sensor, would backpedal, just
> to stir up those inductive electromagnetic fields as much as I darn well could.
>
> And yes, it did work at about 40% of the red lights (this was in California's San Fernando
> Valley). However, I found the "lean the bike over the sensor ring" trick to be much more
> effective.

I have leaned my bike over so far at this intersection that auto drivers have asked if I needed
help. The answer, of course, is "yes", but aside from pulling into the left turn lane and triggering
the light, there's little they could do. I sent an email to the county traffic engineering
department and actually got a call from a real life engineer. He "explained" that the loop detector
could not detect bicycles (mine's an all-steel Trek 520), and suggested that I push the pedestrian
button. Since that requires (a) pushing the button once to cross and again to go left, (b) an extra
5-6 minutes at this busy intersection, I choose (c) wait until oncoming traffic goes by and go left
on a red arrow. 50% of the time, I get lucky and a bread truck or something is already in the
left-turn lane or a sheriff's car pulls up behind me and trips the light.

And you have complained to the appropriate traffic departments?

A record of continued complaints until fixed strengthens our needed for functioning signals and aids
legal defence for having to "run" defective signals.

Richard

In article <2Xqwa.583717$OV.554469@rwcrnsc54>, "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Trudi Marrapodi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Personally, I think every cyclist out there who doesn't follow the rules of the road when he's
> > on it makes the case for good cyclists weaker--because he convinces motorists that cyclists have
> > some sort of unfair advantage over them because they don't have to obey the traffic laws, or
> > that cyclists simply choose to disregard them. It's this kind of feeling that probably often
> > spawns the "Get off the f****** road!" mentality.
>
> I've heard this argument often, but I don't believe it. I think it's just a convenient
> rationalization for motorists and cops to use to justify their dislike for cyclists. Motorists
> also get real testy about cyclists slowing them down, even in stop & go traffic, where it's easy
> to see that there's no real impact. Most hostile drivers seem to be suffering the misunderstanding
> that cyclists are require to stay out of their way, or aren't allowed on the street at all. At
> least this is what the communicative ones tell me.

I think much of this is true, but the fear some motorists have for bicycles because "I never know
what they're gonna do" has to fairly be taken into account. I have had nice, decent little-old-lady
friends of mine express this anxiety, and frankly I can't blame them for not wanting to share the
road with someone whose actions are unpredictable.

Think of how much you'd enjoy sharing the road with a motorist who didn't use turn signals or
lights, and didn't think the red lights applied to him. Or someone who forgot he wasn't in England
anymore and was driving on the wrong side of the road. Or who always drove around traffic jams.
--
Trudi "Just like Pagliacci did..."--Smokey Robinson
____

(Trudi Marrapodi) writes:

> I think much of this is true, but the fear some motorists have for bicycles because "I never know
> what they're gonna do" has to fairly be taken into account. I have had nice, decent
> little-old-lady friends of mine express this anxiety, and frankly I can't blame them for not
> wanting to share the road with someone whose actions are unpredictable.
>
> Think of how much you'd enjoy sharing the road with a motorist who didn't use turn signals
> or lights

I often do. Also, drivers who shortcut the wrong way around neighbourhood traffic circles, or who
notice a parking spot over on the wrong side of the street and immediately bee-line for it
regardless of oncoming or upcoming traffic, or who don't come to a complete stop and let pedestrians
cross while doing their right-on-red thing, or who roll through stop lines, or who lean a bunch of
2x4s over the side of their little utility trailer so as to clip unsuspecting cyclists from behind
as they pass them, etc.

So, a lot of drivers don't have much to be proud of, either -- in spite of the good examples set by
better drivers.

I've come to the cynical conclusion that trying to change the world by being a "good example" just
makes suckers of us.

I still believe in doing The Right/Good Thing, and not doing The Wrong/Bad Thing (even though I
sometimes fail). But I'll do it just for my own conscience, and let other ppl deal with their own
consciences. But from where I sit, drivers in general have no moral position from which to criticize
cyclists in general.

I believe there's nothing constructive to be gained in cyclists and drivers complaining about each
other's behaviour; or complaining about their /own/ behaviours & images, for that matter.

I guess to improve the respective images of both cyclists and drivers, we'd have to alter human
nature ;-)

cheers, Tom