Anyone tried the "Green Light Trigger Device"?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bob Bayn, Network & Computing
Services) wrote:

> [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> >> Right. The trouble is, some people have come to expect unpredictability in cyclists
>
> [email protected] (Trudi Marrapodi) replied:
> > I, as a cyclist, have come to expect unpredictability in drivers,

Actually, you have your quote attributions reversed!
--
Trudi "Just like Pagliacci did..."--Smokey Robinson
____

Chris Zacho wrote:

> I once tried epoxy-ing a strong magnet onto the underside of one of my Look pedals and, as I stood
> at the stop light sensor, would backpedal, just to stir up those inductive electromagnetic fields
> as much as I darn well could.

The sensors are metal detectors; it has nothing to do with magnetism. Aluminum or titanium will work
as well as steel. In fact, aluminum rims should be enough. But the sensor has to be adjusted
properly, the bike has to be positioned properly, and you may have to wait 20-30 seconds for the
light to cycle.

See: http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8i.2.html

Art Harris

Trudi Marrapodi <[email protected]> wrote:
>I'm not denying that some drivers forget how to drive as soon as Driver's Ed is over and they pass
>their test. But sadly, I have to say I think there are more bad cyclists that bad drivers.

Really? Forget running reds; IME breaking the speed limit is nearly universal amongst drivers.

archer <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote:
>[email protected] says...
>>But, as pointed out elsewhere, not all motorists have the opportunity to do so at any given
>>stop; I would put the odds that a motorist at the front when the lights change will do so as at
>>least 1 in 4.
>Not in my experience, but as I said elsewhere, I don't drive much in a major metro area, so YMMV.
>However IMO there is also a difference between going through on a stale yellow which turns red
>before you clear the intersection, and blowing through a red which was that way well before you
>got to it.

They are both equally illegal here. The difference seems to be that people doing the latter have to
watch for cross-traffic, but people doing the former take it as an article of faith that the
cross-traffic will not be particularly eager to get off the line.

(Trudi Marrapodi) writes:
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bob Bayn, Network & Computing
> Services) wrote:

>> [email protected] (Trudi Marrapodi) replied:
>> > I, as a cyclist, have come to expect unpredictability in drivers,
>
> Actually, you have your quote attributions reversed!

Ooops, sorry. careless editing, no malice intended.

In article <yEv*[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> archer <ns_archer1960@ns_hotmail.com> wrote:
> >[email protected] says...
> >>But, as pointed out elsewhere, not all motorists have the opportunity to do so at any given
> >>stop; I would put the odds that a motorist at the front when the lights change will do so as at
> >>least 1 in 4.
> >Not in my experience, but as I said elsewhere, I don't drive much in a major metro area, so YMMV.
> >However IMO there is also a difference between going through on a stale yellow which turns red
> >before you clear the intersection, and blowing through a red which was that way well before you
> >got to it.
>
> They are both equally illegal here. The difference seems to be that people doing the latter have
> to watch for cross-traffic, but people doing the former take it as an article of faith that the
> cross-traffic will not be particularly eager to get off the line.

It is true that they are both equally illegal, but the cross-traffic also has a say in the relative
safety of these two situations. If you are at the front of the cross-traffic line waiting for the
light to change, it costs you little to be defensive and wait an extra couple of seconds to be sure
nobody's going to run the stale yellow. If you are already moving, approaching the intersection, you
may or may not have time to react if somebody decides to run a long-changed red light.

it's morning".

In article <e1v*[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> Trudi Marrapodi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I'm not denying that some drivers forget how to drive as soon as Driver's Ed is over and they
> >pass their test. But sadly, I have to say I think there are more bad cyclists that bad drivers.
>
> Really? Forget running reds; IME breaking the speed limit is nearly universal amongst drivers.

Well, if you mean that many people go 42 to 45 in the 40 zone, 70 in the 60 zone, etc., well,
yes. *sigh*
--
Trudi "Just like Pagliacci did..."--Smokey Robinson
____
Say NO to secret judging and corruption in skating -- support SkateFAIR! http://www.skatefair.org

Trudi Marrapodi <[email protected]> wrote:
>[email protected] wrote:
>>Really? Forget running reds; IME breaking the speed limit is nearly universal amongst drivers.
>Well, if you mean that many people go 42 to 45 in the 40 zone, 70 in the 60 zone, etc., well, yes.

Well, yes, that _is_ illegal. I'm sure you have a "but it's not actually dangerous" whine
suspiciously like that of cyclists who run reds, but so what?

"Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message

> This is also an indication that the yellow light is timed improperly. The engineers are supposed
> to time the light so that the traffic has the opportunity to stop from the full speed at which the
> traffic is moving (not necessarily the speed limit). This has been batted around on the internet
> for a while and has now moved to the news media. I saw a "special investigation" about this very
> thing on the news a few nights ago. The intersections that had the highest accident rates also had
> yellow lights timed too short for the speed at which traffic was moving. Of course, there was the
> obligatory interviews with traffic engineering experts from the Texas Transportation Institute,
> the local traffic engineers (no comment!),

not always- for sure. there is an intersection near my dorm that i cycle through about 12 times a
day, easily. its a pain in the ass. when things are moving quickly, drivers will sometimes run a
quick series of lights in a row- one yellow flasher, one yellow at a crosswalk, and then two close
reds in a row. when driving frustrations are up becuase of traffic, ive seen upwards of 15 people
run the red at a single change. its like they dont *care* what color it is. they're Going Through.

in New Haven, i havent seen a red light *not* get run in weeks. you have to be careful at the
intersections when the lgiht changes because drivers running the light are often going faster than
normal as they speed up in the yellow. the cops dont care either. ive watched them watch people run
the lights.

maybe this is how it is everywhere with inner-city traffic. basically a free-for-all.

i wont say its not fun to bike in, 'cause it is. but you have to be hyper alert and fairly
aggressive, not to mention having good self esteem. ;)

"get the f* off the road!" but sir, im goign faster than you..

In article <1og*[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> Trudi Marrapodi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >[email protected] wrote:
> >>Really? Forget running reds; IME breaking the speed limit is nearly universal amongst drivers.
> >Well, if you mean that many people go 42 to 45 in the 40 zone, 70 in the 60 zone, etc.,
> >well, yes.
>
> Well, yes, that _is_ illegal. I'm sure you have a "but it's not actually dangerous" whine
> suspiciously like that of cyclists who run reds, but so what?

Actually, no...I agree entirely that this is "breaking the speed limit."
--
Trudi "Just like Pagliacci did..."--Smokey Robinson
____
Say NO to secret judging and corruption in skating -- support SkateFAIR! http://www.skatefair.org

Trudi Marrapodi <[email protected]> wrote:
>[email protected] wrote:
>>Trudi Marrapodi <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>[email protected] wrote:
<>>>Really? Forget running reds; IME breaking the speed limit is nearly <>>>universal
amongst drivers.
>>>Well, if you mean that many people go 42 to 45 in the 40 zone, 70 in the 60 zone, etc.,
>>>well, yes.
>>Well, yes, that _is_ illegal. I'm sure you have a "but it's not actually dangerous" whine
>>suspiciously like that of cyclists who run reds, but so what?
>Actually, no...I agree entirely that this is "breaking the speed limit."

So in fact you would agree that breaking the law is as common if not more so amongst motorists?

In article <uox*[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> Trudi Marrapodi <[email protected]> wrote:
> >[email protected] wrote:
> <>>>Really? Forget running reds; IME breaking the speed limit is nearly <>>>universal amongst
> drivers.
> >>Well, yes, that _is_ illegal. I'm sure you have a "but it's not actually dangerous" whine
> >>suspiciously like that of cyclists who run reds, but so what?
> >Actually, no...I agree entirely that this is "breaking the speed limit."
>
> So in fact you would agree that breaking the law is as common if not more so amongst motorists?

Sure, under that argument, but is that the point?

It is commonly accepted amongst drivers that driving somewhat over the speed limit is not only OK,
but sometimes "necessary." This is something they have decided amongst themselves. Therefore, they
do not regard THEMSELVES as lawbreakers...and that's an important distinction here.

However, although some do run red lights, it's not universally accepted. Racing through a yellow
light to beat the red...yes. Running the red and not stopping at signs (at least with a "California
stop")...no. Most drivers would consider that breaking the law.

Also, such offenses as driving on the wrong side of the road, failing to signal, or weaving in and
out of traffic, are generally frowned upon.

If you look at cyclists, you won't see the majority of the ones who break the law going faster than
the speed limit. What you will see, however, is running red lights, riding on the wrong side of the
road, and weaving in and out of traffic at will. THAT is what gets the drivers bugged. Therefore,
they perceive cyclists as being bigger lawbreakers than themselves...no matter how frequently they
drive over the speed limit. And THAT is what gives cyclists a bad reputation.

And the sad part is, I can understand why it happens.
--
Trudi "Just like Pagliacci did..."--Smokey Robinson
____
Say NO to secret judging and corruption in skating -- support SkateFAIR! http://www.skatefair.org

[email protected] (Adam Crawford) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> I was thinking of buying this magnetic "green light trigger device" for non-bike-sensitive traffic
> sensors:

The trick with the sensor is finding the "G-spot."

You know, the spot which triggers a GO signal if you cross it just the right way.

Of course, some traffic signals have very short green cycles, which end prematurely, before the
cyclist can scurry across the bridge or intersection.

hth