Anyone try the Mallet C?

Naveed

Guest
I am looking to get my first pair on pedals and shoes. I would like to be able to ride without the
shoes at times also since i do alot of short trips as well as some longer weekend rides. After
looking around, The pedals that seem the best for these conditions seem to be the crank brother's
mallet c. Has anyone tried this and have an opinion? what other pedals would you recommend that is
ridable in strret shoes and cycling shoes?

i nice walkable shoe that looks fairly normal that could accept cleats would also be very nice as i
like to get off my bike and walk sometimes when out riding. something like these clarks with cleats:

http://tinyurl.com/krx1

-------------------
Naveed Near-Ansari remove the obvious to respond directly
-------------------

In article <[email protected]>, "Naveed"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I am looking to get my first pair on pedals and shoes. I would like to be able to ride without the
> shoes at times also since i do alot of short trips as well as some longer weekend rides. After
> looking around, The pedals that seem the best for these conditions seem to be the crank brother's
> mallet c. Has anyone tried this and have an opinion? what other pedals would you recommend that is
> ridable in strret shoes and cycling shoes?

I don't own Mallets, but my dirt bike has the SPD equivalent, the 636. They also have an integrated
flat pedal around an inner clipless pedal

As clipless pedals with a big, stable platform that is suitable for short clipped-out sections,
they're great. As pedals for use with flat shoes, they're barely better than regular SPDs. The
platform is nice, but the cleat sticks up enough to interfere with getting a solid pedal-foot
connection. I don't ride more than a few blocks with them in street shoes.

The Mallet looks like it would suffer from the same issue.

Shimano does make a plastic platform designed to clip into its SPD cleats, and a pedal that combines
a flat pedal on one side with a clipless pedal on the other. If you like the Egg Beater, it might be
possible to get an extra pair of cleats and fabricate a clip-on platform for use with street shoes.

> i nice walkable shoe that looks fairly normal that could accept cleats would also be very nice
> as i like to get off my bike and walk sometimes when out riding. something like these clarks
> with cleats:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/krx1

I think Chalo and others have written on the procedure for adapting normal shoes to bicycle cleats.

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:39:33 -0700, Naveed <[email protected]> wrote:
> pedals would you recommend that is ridable in strret shoes and cycling shoes?

I have Shimano PD-M545s that I love.

On the cheap side, you could get the Nashbar Platform Sport Pedal http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cf-
m?category=108&subcategory=1078&brand=&sku=2447&storetype=&estoreid=

I don't know if they're any good; but I have the Nashbar Special SPDs, which appear to be the same
pedals sans platform, and like them. The picture looks almost like the clipless mechanism might
protrude too far from the platform, so it might be less than comfortable in regular shoes.

Has anybody used these?

> i nice walkable shoe that looks fairly normal that could accept cleats would also be very nice
> as i like to get off my bike and walk sometimes when out riding. something like these clarks
> with cleats:

Shoes as you described are easy enough to find. There are many casual SPD shoes that recess the
cleat well and walk comfortably.

--
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:39:33 -0700, Naveed wrote:

> I am looking to get my first pair on pedals and shoes. I would like to be able to ride without the
> shoes at times also since i do alot of short trips as well as some longer weekend rides. After
> looking around, The pedals that seem the best for these conditions seem to be the crank brother's
> mallet c. Has anyone tried this and have an opinion? what other pedals would you recommend that is
> ridable in strret shoes and cycling shoes?
>
> i nice walkable shoe that looks fairly normal that could accept cleats would also be very nice
> as i like to get off my bike and walk sometimes when out riding. something like these clarks
> with cleats:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/krx1

Thanks for all your input. I'll give it some thought before deciding on the pedal system to go with.