Anyone use a TAcx Grand Excel?

ctgt

Nov 24, 2003
I just picked up one used as a second trainer option (good timing too, because my Computrainer just broke, and it'll be at least a week before I get it back).

I tried it last night and I was not pleased with the wattage readings I was getting. It felt harder and less realistic than the CT. I couldn't find anything in the manual regarding calibration either.

The way it is now , I foresee major motivatinal issues in riding it for as long or as often as I ride the CT.

sounds like you need to calibrate it which can be done as one of the setup options. i calibrate using my road bike which has an SRM on it. the wattage reading from the trainer will never match the SRM reality across all power output so i just calibrate it to match the SRM at my threshold power.

in general i think it's a good trainer...you can program very precise workouts and regardless of cadence the resistance will be adjusted to hold the programmed wattage, within limits.

Many years ago Bob Tobin compared his SRM to his Grand Excel. This is what he got:

srm-tacx.png

Thanks guys...I got my Computrainer back weeks ago and haven't used the Grand Excel since, but it definitely served its purpose for the weeeks I was without my CT. I don't have a powermeter, so my only calibration was on PE, but the numbers seemed reasonable, and after an adjustment period i was happy with it.