anyone use a Terry fly saddle?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bianchi10, Jul 20, 2010.

1. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

I have been told by several people that terry fly saddles are very comfortable and can be an answer for some people who experience pain while riding from sit bone pressure and such. Obviously there is no perfect saddle which will fit everyone but heck im desperate to find a comfortable saddle at this point.

This is what i was looking at...
    Terry Fly Carbon mens saddle, white

Anyone have any personal experience with them?

Tags:

2. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Been using a Terry Y Zero but changed it our yesterday due to , it's worn out. I replaced it with the Terry Falcon and will see how it goes but so far I like it. Overall the Terry saddles have been the best fit for me and I have tried several others.

3. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Yep, a Terry Fly has been on my bike for the last 10K miles. Very well-made Italian saddle, with a fine leather cover and ti rails, and comfortable. It's basically a race saddle, but with a little extra padding. Personally, I wouldn't pay extra for CF rails....or a white cover. If you can still find a ti Fly for under $100, believe it would be a good value compared to the prices of big italian brands (Selle Italia and Selle San Marco).

Note however, we're still talking an italian race saddle, meaning it's build light for lightweight, smaller-framed racers. If your sitzbones are wide, or your weight is over say 190 lbs, I'd look for something else.

Like jhuskey, mine is starting to break down a bit now too. With our summer heat and humidity causing sweaty shorts, the saddles don't last forever....about 10K miles seems to be the point the foam weakens and comfort degrades.

You might try a gel saddle cover over your current saddle. A buddy here (a lightweight ex-racer) has used one for years and swears by them. It's a fairly thin one, believe made by one of the saddle manufacturers, but can't recall the name. I tried a thick one once years ago (Spenco?) and found it too squishy....took it off after one or two rides. Also of course a thicker pad in shorts/bibs is an option.

As you are finding out from all your trials, there is no "magic" saddle. If you've increased your mileage recently, or started going on longer rides, the butt likely is going to complain. Once it's sore, cutting back on the mileage and allowing time for the bruises to heal is the only cure I know of.