Anyone use American Express reward points to get a bike??

Joe S.

Guest
I have a zillion or so "rewards points" piled up on my AmEx card and I have
the urge to cash them in.

Let my wife look at their catalog -- jewelry, clothes, accessories, etc. --
and she's not interested.

I notice that they have a lot of Trek and Fuji bikes available and I have
enough points to get any of the bikes shown.

I'm wondering how they do this -- the catalog says the bike will be
individually fitted -- so, I guess they send a voucher redeemable at a
dealer????

Anyone ever do this??

>I have a zillion or so "rewards points" piled up on my AmEx card and I have
>the urge to cash them in.
>
> Let my wife look at their catalog -- jewelry, clothes, accessories,
> etc. -- and she's not interested.
>
> I notice that they have a lot of Trek and Fuji bikes available and I have
> enough points to get any of the bikes shown.
>
> I'm wondering how they do this -- the catalog says the bike will be
> individually fitted -- so, I guess they send a voucher redeemable at a
> dealer????

Unfortunately not. At least not in TREK's case. They use a dealer located in
the northeast that sorta builds up the bike and then reboxes them, claiming
there's virtually no assembly involved. That's not been the case in the
bikes I've seen. Somebody who knows what they're doing will probably do
fine, but if you aren't into truing wheels and adjusting brakes &
derailleurs, you may find it best to bring it into a local shop for the
assembly. Unfortunately, the local shop is in no way whatsoever connected to
that bike, and will not be offering a free 30 day check or warranty labor
(which aren't reimbursed by the bike company, but rather provided as a
service by the bike shop that sold the bike, which, in this case...).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> >I have a zillion or so "rewards points" piled up on my AmEx card and I
> >have the urge to cash them in.
>>
>> Let my wife look at their catalog -- jewelry, clothes, accessories,
>> etc. -- and she's not interested.
>>
>> I notice that they have a lot of Trek and Fuji bikes available and I have
>> enough points to get any of the bikes shown.
>>
>> I'm wondering how they do this -- the catalog says the bike will be
>> individually fitted -- so, I guess they send a voucher redeemable at a
>> dealer????

> Unfortunately not. At least not in TREK's case. They use a dealer located
> in the northeast that sorta builds up the bike and then reboxes them,
> claiming there's virtually no assembly involved. That's not been the case
> in the bikes I've seen. Somebody who knows what they're doing will
> probably do fine, but if you aren't into truing wheels and adjusting
> brakes & derailleurs, you may find it best to bring it into a local shop
> for the assembly. Unfortunately, the local shop is in no way whatsoever
> connected to that bike, and will not be offering a free 30 day check or
> warranty labor (which aren't reimbursed by the bike company, but rather
> provided as a service by the bike shop that sold the bike, which, in this
> case...).
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Thanks for the advice.

I'm a biking novice but am also a decent mechanic, having owned, modified,
rebuilt, and raced VW Beetles (the REAL Beetle) for years. I lost my bike,
bike service stand, and all my tools in Hurricane Katrina and I'm really not
prepared to replace all that -- so -- I'd like a local shop to do all but
basic owner maintenance.

Guess I'll use these AmEx points for something else that doesn't require
assembly.

> I'm a biking novice but am also a decent mechanic, having owned, modified,
> rebuilt, and raced VW Beetles (the REAL Beetle) for years. I lost my
> bike, bike service stand, and all my tools in Hurricane Katrina and I'm
> really not prepared to replace all that -- so -- I'd like a local shop to
> do all but basic owner maintenance.
>
> Guess I'll use these AmEx points for something else that doesn't require
> assembly

The tools needed are far less extensive than the knowledge required to do
the job properly. It sounds to me like you wouldn't have much trouble, and
the few tools you'd have to acquire are things you're going to want down the
road anyway. You don't sound like someone I'd try to scare away from taking
on such a project.

Which bike were you looking at? I can give you an idea of what tools might
be required to get the job done.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> >I have a zillion or so "rewards points" piled up on my AmEx card and I
>> >have the urge to cash them in.
>>>
>>> Let my wife look at their catalog -- jewelry, clothes, accessories,
>>> etc. -- and she's not interested.
>>>
>>> I notice that they have a lot of Trek and Fuji bikes available and I
>>> have enough points to get any of the bikes shown.
>>>
>>> I'm wondering how they do this -- the catalog says the bike will be
>>> individually fitted -- so, I guess they send a voucher redeemable at a
>>> dealer????

>> Unfortunately not. At least not in TREK's case. They use a dealer located
>> in the northeast that sorta builds up the bike and then reboxes them,
>> claiming there's virtually no assembly involved. That's not been the case
>> in the bikes I've seen. Somebody who knows what they're doing will
>> probably do fine, but if you aren't into truing wheels and adjusting
>> brakes & derailleurs, you may find it best to bring it into a local shop
>> for the assembly. Unfortunately, the local shop is in no way whatsoever
>> connected to that bike, and will not be offering a free 30 day check or
>> warranty labor (which aren't reimbursed by the bike company, but rather
>> provided as a service by the bike shop that sold the bike, which, in this
>> case...).
>>
>> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
>> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>>

> Thanks for the advice.
>
> I'm a biking novice but am also a decent mechanic, having owned, modified,
> rebuilt, and raced VW Beetles (the REAL Beetle) for years. I lost my
> bike, bike service stand, and all my tools in Hurricane Katrina and I'm
> really not prepared to replace all that -- so -- I'd like a local shop to
> do all but basic owner maintenance.
>
> Guess I'll use these AmEx points for something else that doesn't require
> assembly.

In article <[email protected]>, mikej1
@ix.netcom.com says...
> > I'm a biking novice but am also a decent mechanic, having owned, modified,
> > rebuilt, and raced VW Beetles (the REAL Beetle) for years. I lost my
> > bike, bike service stand, and all my tools in Hurricane Katrina and I'm
> > really not prepared to replace all that -- so -- I'd like a local shop to
> > do all but basic owner maintenance.
> >
> > Guess I'll use these AmEx points for something else that doesn't require
> > assembly

> The tools needed are far less extensive than the knowledge required to do
> the job properly. It sounds to me like you wouldn't have much trouble, and
> the few tools you'd have to acquire are things you're going to want down the
> road anyway. You don't sound like someone I'd try to scare away from taking
> on such a project.
>
> Which bike were you looking at? I can give you an idea of what tools might
> be required to get the job done.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
>

> "Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> Unfortunately not. At least not in TREK's case. They use a dealer located
> >> in the northeast that sorta builds up the bike and then reboxes them,
> >> claiming there's virtually no assembly involved. That's not been the case
> >> in the bikes I've seen. Somebody who knows what they're doing will
> >> probably do fine, but if you aren't into truing wheels and adjusting
> >> brakes & derailleurs, you may find it best to bring it into a local shop
> >> for the assembly. Unfortunately, the local shop is in no way whatsoever
> >> connected to that bike, and will not be offering a free 30 day check or
> >> warranty labor (which aren't reimbursed by the bike company, but rather
> >> provided as a service by the bike shop that sold the bike, which, in this

I actually did this in 2004 over here in Australia. Got a Trek 4500,
since waaaay superceded. Anyway, back then, Amex mailed out a
certificate to me that I could then take to one of a few selected local
bike shops. One of them was just down the road from me and I already
knew them by reputation, so I guess I lucked out there.

They then followed the instructions on the certificate and put in a
order to the main wharehouse. The bike was shipped to them in a few
days, they assembled it and happily customised it a little for me
(computer, saddlebag, pump...that sort of thing... so they still made a
few bucks out of the deal!). I even got a couple of free services from
them which is what this partticular LBS offers to anyone who payed full
price.

Sounds like this 'aint the way it works in the States though, and 3
years later on down the track.. who knows.. Just to be sure though,
theres no harm in calling Amex and ask them what the deal is just in
case the've changed their mind again....
--
Flaps