Anyone Use Amino Vitale or Master's Formula?

mbehr22

Mar 3, 2005
good reviews?

pros?

cons?

any competing amino aids that are similar/cheaper?

also, how do these type of AA sups aid in weight training? I have taken creatine, whey, protein, etc to aid in strength training, but i have never tried any of these (except L-Arginine, and im not sure if that would be in the same classification)

thanks

mbehr22 said:
good reviews?

pros?

cons?

also, how do these type of AA sups aid in weight training? I have taken creatine, whey, protein, etc to aid in strength training, but i have never tried any of these (except L-Arginine, and im not sure if that would be in the same classification)

thanks

try a bodybuilding forum.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

mbehr22 said:
these kinds of sups are specifically designed for triathletes...i am curious to know if anyone here has tried them...results, etc..

thanks

a complete waste of time for the vast majority of people. in places such as the USA, Canada, UK, Europe, Australia, NZ, etc, we already consume excess amounts of proteins and amino acids.

ric

i have used amino vital for about 4 months while training on a stationary and in the weight room and have found that 5 grams before (aim for about an hour before workout) and 5 grams when my workout is over. if it is a long day i will split another 5 grams between my water bottles. also, if you buy it in the packets, it is very expensive. go to vigorousliving.com and order the team pouch (80 servings) for $27.50. it lasts a LONG time if one person uses it. anyway, i believe is works because i ran out and had to wait a week for VL.com to ship it to me and i noticed i was a little sluggish by the end of the week. nothing in my training program changed! at least try it for the 28 bucks.

mbehr22 said:
good reviews?

pros?

cons?

thanks
Amino Vital is a marketing scheme to make money. The research on Amino Acid, and specifically Branched Chain Amino Acid supplementation has found benefits in extremely long endurance activities and activities at altitude (mountaineering and high altitude treks). While there *MAY* be some benefit to consuming Amino Vital for recovery purposes, the amounts of BCAA's that were used in the studies that found some benefit are much higher than what is available in one or even four bottles of AV.

The cost to benefit ratio is just not there. With a balanced diet and more reasonably priced supplements (whey protein that contains BCAA's for example), you can get all the benefits you need for recovery. As for competing AA's that are cheaper, try the Hammer Whey. You can get a big tub of it for fairly cheap. There are a bunch of them out there, but I wouldn't focus on supplements if you don't have to. Focus on your diet and on eating complete protein sources daily to get all of the essential AA's.

Anyone have ideas on these benefits for weight training? From what I remember, it does not provide much more of a benefit if you have a balanced diet, if any extra benefit at all. Supplements are just that - supplements for inadequacies in your diet. Many supplements out there today are all hype - because the substances are found in our bodies, the companies just increase the physiologic dose and say that it will help us, while much of the research on the usefulness of these either say that it doesn't work or say that the results are inconclusive. I'm not a big supporter of supplements other than sports drink-type supplements during exercise.

Orange Fish said:
Amino Vital is a marketing scheme to make money. The research on Amino Acid, and specifically Branched Chain Amino Acid supplementation has found benefits in extremely long endurance activities and activities at altitude (mountaineering and high altitude treks). While there *MAY* be some benefit to consuming Amino Vital for recovery purposes, the amounts of BCAA's that were used in the studies that found some benefit are much higher than what is available in one or even four bottles of AV.

The cost to benefit ratio is just not there. With a balanced diet and more reasonably priced supplements (whey protein that contains BCAA's for example), you can get all the benefits you need for recovery. As for competing AA's that are cheaper, try the Hammer Whey. You can get a big tub of it for fairly cheap. There are a bunch of them out there, but I wouldn't focus on supplements if you don't have to. Focus on your diet and on eating complete protein sources daily to get all of the essential AA's.

Anyone have ideas on these benefits for weight training? From what I remember, it does not provide much more of a benefit if you have a balanced diet, if any extra benefit at all. Supplements are just that - supplements for inadequacies in your diet. Many supplements out there today are all hype - because the substances are found in our bodies, the companies just increase the physiologic dose and say that it will help us, while much of the research on the usefulness of these either say that it doesn't work or say that the results are inconclusive. I'm not a big supporter of supplements other than sports drink-type supplements during exercise.

very few supplements work, and those that do are often dependent on the sport. for e.g., bicarbonate loading works, but only in short very high intensity durations of up to say 6 - 10-mins.

As regards protein supplments etc., if you are eating a normal mixed diet including being a vegetarian, are not on a rapid weight loss programme it is unlikely you need protein or amino acid supplements -- the recommended amounts for endurance exercise are easily met and *exceeded* by most people in Europe, USA, Australia, New Zealand etc. This may not be the case for carbohydrate intake.

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
very few supplements work, and those that do are often dependent on the sport. for e.g., bicarbonate loading works, but only in short very high intensity durations of up to say 6 - 10-mins.

As regards protein supplments etc., if you are eating a normal mixed diet including being a vegetarian, are not on a rapid weight loss programme it is unlikely you need protein or amino acid supplements -- the recommended amounts for endurance exercise are easily met and *exceeded* by most people in Europe, USA, Australia, New Zealand etc. This may not be the case for carbohydrate intake.

ric
thanks for the input

how do you go about bicarbonate loading?

hello guys,
Iam a former weight/power lifter and do some amateur body building.I do enjoy cycling as a hobby. In regards to amino acids, I strongly recommend to try liquid amino acids. they come in a 1l bottle and are very good for recovery after endurance training and for overnight recovery. they work instantly just look at yourself in the mirror after 4 weeks, they really make an impact. I do have some information on my website
http://www.ptlondon.com/diary/8.htm . amino liquid is very popular in the USA and europe for the last 2 years, but you need to take it one months on, one months off.
thor

thor said:
hello guys,
Iam a former weight/power lifter and do some amateur body building.I do enjoy cycling as a hobby. In regards to amino acids, I strongly recommend to try liquid amino acids. they come in a 1l bottle and are very good for recovery after endurance training and for overnight recovery.

there is no rationale in exercise physiology for this statement. in fact all the research looking at recovery after endurance exercise shows that it's carbohydrates (either alone, or with very small amounts of protein) that offer various effects from better recovery to decreased pertubations in immune function.

they work instantly just look at yourself in the mirror after 4 weeks, they really make an impact.

quite simply, you are talking trash.

ric

I tried Amino Vitale and haven't experienced any real results to speak of. However, I recently started taking FRS Plus and it has made a tremendous difference for me in terms of energy and recovery. You can get it online.

Good luck.

Always interesting to see people's varying views on supplements. In general, one must be careful of claims made by manufacturers, but to say very few work and are unnecessary is untrue as well.

For a distance biker, amino fuel could be beneficial. First, long endurance training will tax your system and put you in a negative nitrogen balance, ultimately leading to lean muscle loss, not good, obviously.

Secondly, you are creating muscle damage with training and amino's will help the body get what it needs to repair/recover.

Third, the supplement should contain L-glutamine, a very important amino, especially for immune system support as, once again, you tax the body with long endurance training, making you more susceptible to viruses/bacterial infection.
I for one, am a believer in supplementation, to a certain degree. You need some basic building blocks for health, and no, your diet doesn't give you everything it needs. Another topic that could be its own thread.

DocK said:
Always interesting to see people's varying views on supplements. In general, one must be careful of claims made by manufacturers, but to say very few work and are unnecessary is untrue as well.

For a distance biker, amino fuel could be beneficial. First, long endurance training will tax your system and put you in a negative nitrogen balance, ultimately leading to lean muscle loss, not good, obviously.

Secondly, you are creating muscle damage with training and amino's will help the body get what it needs to repair/recover.

Third, the supplement should contain L-glutamine, a very important amino, especially for immune system support as, once again, you tax the body with long endurance training, making you more susceptible to viruses/bacterial infection.
I for one, am a believer in supplementation, to a certain degree. You need some basic building blocks for health, and no, your diet doesn't give you everything it needs. Another topic that could be its own thread.
Good post. I think some people here are too one-sided about certain supplements. Amino Vital itself is useless in my opinion for one reason - you need at least 4-5 bottles during those long workouts to equal the amounts that have shown some benefit in studies. AA, L-glutamine, etc. are both good supplements that may help some people, so I think they are good to take under certain circumstances. But I just have a problem with Amino Vital selling their product and saying how great it is, when they don't speak to the dosage requirements, nor do they give specific recommendations for specific sports.

So I agree with you, but am just not a fan of Amino Vital in particular because it's just another marketing scheme. If someone would sell a product that would actually easily provide the required dosage of a supplement in, say, ONE bottle, that would be great! But it's all about the money, and AV takes advantage of that for sure. :)