Anyone use Harris Cyclery for internet purchases?

coppershark

New Member
Feb 19, 2004
Has anyone used this company before?

How lond does it usually take from placing order to delivery?

The Shark

coppershark wrote:

> Has anyone used this company before?
>
> How lond does it usually take from placing order to delivery?

No I havent, but Sheldon Brown will probably vouch for them.

hahahah.

(but i've heard good reports for delivery and stock of weird stuff, ie
french track hub lockrings)

ray

Coppershark wrote:

> Has anyone used this company before?

> How lond does it usually take from placing order to delivery?

I've used them a few times. They're very reliable, and have a wonderful stock of often hard to get stuff. Sheldon Brown works for them, and is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable guys ever to use the internet.

They usually take 3 weeks or so from placing the order to getting the gear.

Cheers,

Suzy

PS: I can also highly recommend Business Cycles (John Dacey) and Vecchios (Peter Chisholm).

suzyj said:
Coppershark wrote:

> Has anyone used this company before?

> How lond does it usually take from placing order to delivery?

I've used them a few times. They're very reliable, and have a wonderful stock of often hard to get stuff. Sheldon Brown works for them, and is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable guys ever to use the internet.

They usually take 3 weeks or so from placing the order to getting the gear.

Cheers,

Suzy

PS: I can also highly recommend Business Cycles (John Dacey) and Vecchios (Peter Chisholm).
I have had good experience with them. About 3 weeks to deliver to Perth. Sheldon Brown could be taken to be their 'internet face' and you will see people posting (positive comments) about buying from Sheldon Brown when to be technically correct they bought from Harris Cyclery.

I have bought long reach brake calipers (hard to get in Aus as I needed the old fashioned ones with 'nutted' fittings rather than the more modern 'recessed' fittings) and narrow road slick tyres for a 24" MTB wheel (putting slicks on a kid's MTB because it almost exclusively gets used on the road and cycle paths. Knobblies for the road - pffft)

SteveA

coppershark wrote:

> Has anyone used [Harris Cyclery for internet purchases]?

Yes, a few times. They're one of the few places that sells Kool
Stop salmon brake pads. In one order, a small mistake on their
part got sorted out promptly with no additional charge to me.

> How lond does it usually take from placing order to delivery?

One to two weeks for post from the US for me, although some
companies say to allow more.

John

suzyj wrote:
> Coppershark wrote:
>

>>Has anyone used this company before?

>>How lond does it usually take from placing order to delivery?

> I've used them a few times. They're very reliable, and have a
> wonderful stock of often hard to get stuff. Sheldon Brown works for
> them, and is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable guys ever to use
> the internet.
>
> They usually take 3 weeks or so from placing the order to getting the
> gear.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Suzy
>
> PS: I can also highly recommend Business Cycles (John Dacey) and
> Vecchios (Peter Chisholm).

I've also obtained parts from them. They're very helpful and often have
"hard to get" parts.

On 2006-03-09, John Henderson (aka Bruce)
> coppershark wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used [Harris Cyclery for internet purchases]?

> Yes, a few times. They're one of the few places that sells Kool
> Stop salmon brake pads. In one order, a small mistake on their
> part got sorted out promptly with no additional charge to me.

Ah. I might have to wait around til a bunch of other melbournites
want to grab some pads -- $100 minimum order fee, and $35 shipping.

Er. $US.

Pipe up anyone, if you are interested. All but one of you missed out
on your chance of getting a PBK order in with me :)

--
TimC
Beware of bugs in the above program. I proved it correct,

On 2006-03-09, John Henderson (aka Bruce)
> coppershark wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used [Harris Cyclery for internet purchases]?

> Yes, a few times. They're one of the few places that sells Kool
> Stop salmon brake pads. In one order, a small mistake on their
> part got sorted out promptly with no additional charge to me.

Ah. I might have to wait around til a bunch of other melbournites
want to grab some pads -- $100 minimum order fee, and $35 shipping.

Er. $US.

Pipe up anyone, if you are interested. All but one of you missed out
on your chance of getting a PBK order in with me :)

--
TimC
Beware of bugs in the above program. I proved it correct,
I did not try it. --- D. E. Knuth
The $US100 minimum order is new (at least since I ordered anything from them this time last year).

I would have thought that an 'international processing fee' to recoup the additional costs of sending international orders would have been a less blunt instrument of a disincentive to overseas customers and would have recouped the additional costs involved if set at the right amount.

Global marketplace? what global marketplace?

SteveA

On 2006-03-09, John Henderson (aka Bruce)

SteveA wrote:

> The $US100 minimum order is new (at least since I ordered anything from
> them this time last year).
>
> I would have thought that an 'international processing fee' to recoup
> the additional costs of sending international orders would have been a
> less blunt instrument of a disincentive to overseas customers and would
> have recouped the additional costs involved if set at the right amount.
>
> Global marketplace? what global marketplace?

Nevertheless, how do their prices compare for non-hard-to-get items?

(This question is of course asked in my capacity as a rank newbie to
bike shopping. I haven't a clue what stuff costs when new, though I am
getting a feel for what "lightly used" stuff costs on ebay....!)

Travis wrote:
> SteveA wrote:
>

>>The $US100 minimum order is new (at least since I ordered anything from
>>them this time last year).
>>
>>I would have thought that an 'international processing fee' to recoup
>>the additional costs of sending international orders would have been a
>>less blunt instrument of a disincentive to overseas customers and would
>>have recouped the additional costs involved if set at the right amount.
>>
>>Global marketplace? what global marketplace?

> Nevertheless, how do their prices compare for non-hard-to-get items?
>
> (This question is of course asked in my capacity as a rank newbie to
> bike shopping. I haven't a clue what stuff costs when new, though I am
> getting a feel for what "lightly used" stuff costs on ebay....!)

It's not difficult to do a bit of searching on the 'net to compare
prices. It's pointless ordering much less than $100 worth of stuff
because the postage cost will be $30 to $40 minimum so you may as well
order a shixload of stuff to average out the costs. It's just a simple
process of doing the maths.

TimC said:
Ah. I might have to wait around til a bunch of other melbournites
want to grab some pads -- $100 minimum order fee, and $35 shipping.

Er. $US.

Pipe up anyone, if you are interested. All but one of you missed out
on your chance of getting a PBK order in with me :)

I'm piping up - looking for a French track lock-ring and I suspect Harris may well be the place.

Rory W

Friday said:
Travis wrote:
> SteveA wrote:
>

>>The $US100 minimum order is new (at least since I ordered anything from
>>them this time last year).
>>
>>I would have thought that an 'international processing fee' to recoup
>>the additional costs of sending international orders would have been a
>>less blunt instrument of a disincentive to overseas customers and would
>>have recouped the additional costs involved if set at the right amount.
>>
>>Global marketplace? what global marketplace?

> Nevertheless, how do their prices compare for non-hard-to-get items?
>
> (This question is of course asked in my capacity as a rank newbie to
> bike shopping. I haven't a clue what stuff costs when new, though I am
> getting a feel for what "lightly used" stuff costs on ebay....!)

It's not difficult to do a bit of searching on the 'net to compare
prices. It's pointless ordering much less than $100 worth of stuff
because the postage cost will be $30 to $40 minimum so you may as well
order a shixload of stuff to average out the costs. It's just a simple
process of doing the maths.

Hmmm. Postage was not so high either the last time I got anything from hem.

SteveA

Friday wrote:

> It's not difficult to do a bit of searching on the 'net to compare
> prices.

No doubt. What are some of the better online bike shops though?

For instance, I'm currently in the market for a decent jersey and
knicks. Any suggestions of cheap places to get them?

Ebay, obviously, but where else?