Anyone use the Altura Stream Windproof Jacket?

spindrift wrote:
> 50% off:
>
> http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=8144&categoryID=206
>
> I don't want to look like a binperson operative but isn't yellow the
> most visible colour in all weathers?

I don't know if it's coincidence or the insidious march of the safety
culture, but virtually every cyclist I see round here nowadays is
wearing some sort of bright yellow jacket or jersey. I don't know if
the spring will bring a return to the usual motley array of club jerseys
and khaki tee-shirts or if the yellow stain will have taken hold completely.

Me? I also wear a bright yellow jacket, but that has nothing to do with
any trends, of course. I just happened to choose yellow...

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

Den 2007-02-16 20:28:30 skrev Brian G <[email protected]>:

> I don't know if it's coincidence or the insidious march of the safety
> culture, but virtually every cyclist I see round here nowadays is
> wearing some sort of bright yellow jacket or jersey.

Me too. Doesn't it just contribute to visibility inflation? If your bike
is properly equipped with lights and reflectors, you can't miss it unless
you're not looking.

If that equipment is not enough, perhaps it would be better to write a
letter to the editor pointing out that you could get a reflective vest,
though it might be better if road users would pay attention.

I noticed I became more confident after getting a driver's license, so
some kind of training might be a good alternative to the Christmas Tree
school of bike safety.

Erik Sandblom

--
Oil is for sissies

Brian G wrote:
> spindrift wrote:
>> 50% off:
>>
>> http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=8144&categoryID=206
>>

>> I don't want to look like a binperson operative but isn't yellow the
>> most visible colour in all weathers?

> I don't know if it's coincidence or the insidious march of the safety
> culture, but virtually every cyclist I see round here nowadays is
> wearing some sort of bright yellow jacket or jersey. I don't know if
> the spring will bring a return to the usual motley array of club jerseys
> and khaki tee-shirts or if the yellow stain will have taken hold
> completely.
>
> Me? I also wear a bright yellow jacket, but that has nothing to do with
> any trends, of course. I just happened to choose yellow...

I recently re-discovered that black is still the new black. Probs with
visibility though - solved by hi-vis strap thing.

spindrift wrote:
> 50% off:
>
> http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=8144&categoryID=206
>
> I don't want to look like a binperson operative but isn't yellow the
> most visible colour in all weathers?
>
> Two Cateyes front and back, Tyreflies and reflective tape should mean
> that I'm already pretty flipping visible to drivers but you'd be
> surprised...
>
> The Tyreflies are chavtastic, by the way, I've had drivers slow down
> and applaud them!

I have a lime green [1] jacket with reflective bits on it. Seems to do
me, I see all the other riders in their yellow tops and wonder if they
just merge into drivers subconscious without thinking. At least with a
different colour you would stand out from the herd.

My only problem with tyreflies is that I had one weld itself to the
valve. It is still stuck and sitting in my desk as a reminder _never_ to
fit the bloody things again. I needed to simply put a bit more pressure
in the tyre and I ended up having to replace the inner tube.

[1] Well, the bits that are not black from sliding along the road.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Sense is not cognition but sensation. (Douglas Robinson)

Erik Sandblom <[email protected]> wrote:
> Den 2007-02-16 20:28:30 skrev Brian G <[email protected]>:

>> I don't know if it's coincidence or the insidious march of the safety
>> culture, but virtually every cyclist I see round here nowadays is
>> wearing some sort of bright yellow jacket or jersey.

> Me too. Doesn't it just contribute to visibility inflation? If your bike
> is properly equipped with lights and reflectors, you can't miss it unless
> you're not looking.

> If that equipment is not enough, perhaps it would be better to write a
> letter to the editor pointing out that you could get a reflective vest,
> though it might be better if road users would pay attention.

> I noticed I became more confident after getting a driver's license, so
> some kind of training might be a good alternative to the Christmas Tree
> school of bike safety.

I got my car driving training as soon as I was old enough for it to be
legal, and that did improve my cycling safety a bit. The thing which
improved my cycling safety far more than anything else however was
many years later when I had my first (and last) serious motorcycle
accident. Up to that point I had taken the common attitude that
there's no point going overboard about road safety; if you took all
the precautions you're supposed to you'd creep along taking ages and
probably causing accidents by holding everyone else up.

I had plenty of time painfully immobilised in a hospital bed to
reflect upon that attitude, and I decided I might have erred a bit on
the risky side. I carefully read all the advanced driving stuff I
could get my hinds on, and tried to train myslef to ride a motorcycle
defensively and safely. I was pretty timid and slow to begin with, but
as I learned the necessary skills I recovered speed, but this time
with added safety. For example, I didn't assume there was nothing
round a blind corner.

The point is that on a motorcycle I've learned skills of traffic
behaviour prediction and hazard avoidance appropriate to riding on two
wheels at far higher speeds than a bicycle is capable of. Those skills
have carried over onto pedal cycling, and oddly enough, despite all
the research that's been done by fast car drivers to prove that speed
isn't dangerous, the combination of motorcycling defensive skills at
pedestrian bicycle speeds seems to be a very safe combination.

It was motorcycling too which taught me how to command traffic flow
round roundabouts by making my intentions clear by position and
signals, while not necessarily expecting my commands to be obeyed, a
specific example of the general virtues of what I think is sometimes
called vehicular cycling, where you take negotiate to take possession
of the road space you need.

I couldn't have learned that stuff nearly so well in a car. Cars have
such restricted sight lines and mobility in heavy traffic you can't
develop skills based on the much superior sight lines and mobility you
have on two wheels.

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Quoting Brian G <[email protected]>:
>I don't know if it's coincidence or the insidious march of the safety
>culture, but virtually every cyclist I see round here nowadays is
>wearing some sort of bright yellow jacket or jersey.

Black Foska pirate jacket, me, although the pirates are reflective. It's
the only piece of cycling-specific clothing I've ever owned that isn't
dorky. :)
--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corridor,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:eek:konomiyaki,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores: