Anyone used a BOB trailer?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Gazzer, Mar 12, 2003.

  1. Gazzer

    Gazzer Guest

    I'm going to be doing a ride in Northern India in july and I was thinking about taking a BOB
    trailer. This would mean I could take my FS bike and not worry about exploding rear wheels, wacky
    handling and busted racks like on my last trip. Anyone used a BOB for long touring offroad?

    Cheers

    gaz

    Tags:

  2. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > I'm going to be doing a ride in Northern India in july and I was thinking about taking a BOB
    > trailer. This would mean I could take my FS bike and not worry about exploding rear wheels, wacky
    > handling and busted racks like on my last trip. Anyone used a BOB for long touring offroad?

    We have not but are considering to give BOBs a try. However, I would never put the load of a trailer
    on my FS bike. Especially not in India. In fact I would think twice before bringing a FS to India. I
    have seen a few on the Leh Manali road but they had support trucks with plenty of spares and did not
    carry their luggage. It was on a truck.

    A BOB may be still be right, better than racks and panniers in many situations except for landslides
    and other road blocks. They are also a hassle on airplanes and buses.

    If you go for racks I can recommend Tubus. They are German racks made of chromoly
    http://www.tubus.net/index_uk.htm They are light and very durable and can be welded in an emergency.
    We have used ours with quite heavy loads in Asia and in the Alps and have not had the slightest
    problem. Though there is no way to fit them on a FS.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB-Himalaya.html

  3. Notaknob

    Notaknob Guest

    > I'm going to be doing a ride in Northern India in july and I was thinking about taking a BOB
    > trailer. This would mean I could take my FS bike and not worry about exploding rear wheels, wacky
    > handling and busted racks like on my last trip. Anyone used a BOB for long touring offroad?

    I've often wondered why rich (relativly) people take vacations in poor (relativly) countries.
    Especially in places that advise you to bring your own medical supplies. I'm sure northern India
    is nice, but it's not in my top 10 vacation destinations. I think India'd rate below Turkey, but
    above Rwanda.

    b.

  4. El Barista

    El Barista Guest

  5. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > I've often wondered why rich (relativly) people take vacations in poor (relativly) countries.
    > Especially in places that advise you to bring your own medical supplies. I'm sure northern India
    > is nice, but it's not in my top 10 vacation destinations.

    How you rate India is of course a matter of your personal preferences. But the facts are that there
    is some very interesting biking to do. We spent a summer in Ladakh a Tibetan speaking area north of
    the Great Himalayan range biking and had a very pleasant and interesting tour. You will find a
    report here: http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB-Himalaya.html

    > I think India'd rate below Turkey, but above Rwanda.

    I have not been Rwanda, but I have been to Turkey four times and to India fourteen times and I
    really prefer India a lot.

    Per

  6. Gazzer

    Gazzer Guest

    notaknob <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I've often wondered why rich (relativly) people take vacations in poor (relativly) countries.
    > Especially in places that advise you to bring your own medical supplies. I'm sure northern India
    > is nice, but it's not in my top 10 vacation destinations. I think India'd rate below Turkey, but
    > above Rwanda.
    >
    > b.

    It has nothing to do with riding in beautiful remote places dotted with ancient history and
    5000+metre passes, and more to do with taking holidays in other peoples misery. I just cant get
    enough of that stuff. Last time I was there I saw a man with no face, it was really cool.

    Gaz

  7. Gazzer

    Gazzer Guest

    "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I'm going to be doing a ride in Northern India in july and I was thinking about taking a BOB
    > > trailer. This would mean I could take my FS bike and not worry about exploding rear wheels,
    > > wacky handling and busted racks like on my last trip. Anyone used a BOB for long touring
    > > offroad?
    >
    > We have not but are considering to give BOBs a try. However, I would never put the load of a
    > trailer on my FS bike. Especially not in India. In fact I would think twice before bringing a FS
    > to India. I have seen a few on the Leh Manali road but they had support trucks with pl in Asia and
    > in the Alps and have not had the slightest problem. Though there is no way to fit them on a FS.
    >
    > Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB-Himalaya.html

    Thanks for the info, I actually have a rear rack for my F.S,which I made from the rear triangle of a
    titanium hardtail, its very strong. I'm going off the idea of the trailer as it does add something
    else that can go wrong, but its definitely going to be the F.S bike. I will be finishing up in Leh,
    by the way.

    Gaz

  8. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > It has nothing to do with riding in beautiful remote places dotted with ancient history and
    > 5000+metre passes, and more to do with taking holidays in other peoples misery.

    You seem to know nothing about India. Just citing a stereotype as real a wild west movie.

    With your line of argumentation we would never bike in the US because of the misery certain people
    live in, etc., not to mention American "indian" history.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB.html

  9. Gazzer

    Gazzer Guest

    > It has nothing to do with riding in beautiful remote places dotted with ancient history and
    > 5000+metre passes, and more to do with taking holidays in other peoples misery.

    You seem to know nothing about India. Just citing a stereotype as real a wild west movie.

    With your line of argumentation we would never bike in the US because of the misery certain people
    live in, etc., not to mention American "indian" history.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB.html

    Per, I was being sarcastic, which as you have proven can be confusing.

    Gaz

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    gazzer wrote:

    > It has nothing to do with riding in beautiful remote places dotted with ancient history and
    > 5000+metre passes, and more to do with taking holidays in other peoples misery. I just cant get
    > enough of that stuff. Last time I was there I saw a man with no face, it was really cool.

    ROTFL. Funniest thing I've seen here in a long time.

  11. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  12. Kayak777

    Kayak777 Guest

    I would still consider the BOB. I've used mine on a number of long off road trips with no
    problem. Just don't put more than about 40 pounds in it and load it so the center of gravity is
    low. Don't count on riding really technical stuff with it, but it can actually handle quite rough
    trails. As for transporting it, if you take of the tongue and turn it around, it will fit in
    decent sized travel bag and you can still put a lot of stuff inside the frame, so it doesn't take
    much extra space.

    gazzer wrote:

    > "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > I'm going to be doing a ride in Northern India in july and I was thinking about taking a BOB
    > > > trailer. This would mean I could take my FS bike and not worry about exploding rear wheels,
    > > > wacky handling and busted racks like on my last trip. Anyone used a BOB for long touring
    > > > offroad?
    > >
    > > We have not but are considering to give BOBs a try. However, I would never put the load of a
    > > trailer on my FS bike. Especially not in India. In fact I would think twice before bringing a
    > > FS to India. I have seen a few on the Leh Manali road but they had support trucks with pl in
    > > Asia and in the Alps and have not had the slightest problem. Though there is no way to fit them
    > > on a FS.
    > >
    > > Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB-Himalaya.html
    >
    > Thanks for the info, I actually have a rear rack for my F.S,which I made from the rear triangle of
    > a titanium hardtail, its very strong. I'm going off the idea of the trailer as it does add
    > something else that can go wrong, but its definitely going to be the F.S bike. I will be finishing
    > up in Leh, by the way.
    >
    > Gaz

  13. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On 12 Mar 2003 04:19:44 -0800, [email protected] (gazzer) blathered:

    >I'm going to be doing a ride in Northern India in july and I was thinking about taking a BOB
    >trailer. This would mean I could take my FS bike and not worry about exploding rear wheels, wacky
    >handling and busted racks like on my last trip. Anyone used a BOB for long touring offroad?

    http://www.bikemagic.com/review/reviewproduct.asp?sp=&RGN=13&RCN=129&RPN=3893&v=2

    Very good opinions here - http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/messagepost.cfm?postaction=reply&catid=-
    32&threadid=42729&messid=360645&STARTPAGE=1&parentid=0&from=1

    I've recently been thrashing mine round the local rough tracks, getting used to it for a proposed
    trip to Iceland (which will no longer happen because I was offered four months work last week over
    the summer that's too lucrative to turn down - son of a bitch)!

    My general impression - I think it's great on roads and good tracks, but when the going gets tough
    the trailer can be a liability. It's also a pain if you're having to negotiate obstacles in crowded
    streets, reversing the bike, etc. On balance, I still prefer panniers for long distance touring on
    roads of bad or uncertain quality.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/