Anyone used a Garmin Edge?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by MattB, Apr 28, 2006.

  1. MattB

    MattB Guest

    I've been thinking about a new GPS for a while, as well as a new bike
    computer (yes, I know some of you think they are stupid) and I see
    Garmin makes a couple of units designed to be bike computers. I like the
    idea, and it would make switching between bikes easier because I
    wouldn't have to remember to reset the wheel size.
    I'm thinking the Edge 205 would be plenty. The 305 also has a HRM and
    cadence sensor which I doubt I'd ever use.
    Any first-hand experiences out there?

    Thanks,
    Matt

    Tags:

  2. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've been thinking about a new GPS for a while, as well as a new bike
    > computer (yes, I know some of you think they are stupid) and I see Garmin
    > makes a couple of units designed to be bike computers. I like the idea,
    > and it would make switching between bikes easier because I wouldn't have
    > to remember to reset the wheel size.
    > I'm thinking the Edge 205 would be plenty. The 305 also has a HRM and
    > cadence sensor which I doubt I'd ever use.
    > Any first-hand experiences out there?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Matt

    no experience with this particular model but I use an Etrex Legend (about
    $100 less expensive). In reading the Garmin website it seems like there's
    not much difference other than the virtual racer function and software that
    allows training input. All else appears to allow similar inputs for mapping
    but not sure about the extent of allowable mapping for say a car trip.
    Looks to have better reception capabilities which is a plus since I've lost
    signal on tree canopy covered rides. I don't like the internal LI battery
    and would rather have AA's but that's just me. On a long week of mtbing the
    Li battery would need to be recharged, sometimes not practical.

    I wish my GPS had a USB interface since most of the newer computers don't
    have serial ports any more.......can you say expensive adapter?

    Gary

  3. Urs Weder

    Urs Weder Guest

    MattB wrote:
    > I've been thinking about a new GPS for a while, as well as a new bike
    > computer (yes, I know some of you think they are stupid) and I see
    > Garmin makes a couple of units designed to be bike computers. I like the
    > idea, and it would make switching between bikes easier because I
    > wouldn't have to remember to reset the wheel size.
    > I'm thinking the Edge 205 would be plenty. The 305 also has a HRM and
    > cadence sensor which I doubt I'd ever use.
    > Any first-hand experiences out there?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Matt

    Hi Matt,
    i use the Edge 305 since 3 weeks. I use it together with the
    cadence/wheel sensor which increases its reception highly especially
    under tree canopy.
    A "normal" GPS has reception problems under tree canopy. The Edge 305
    compensates this with the reading from the wheel-sensor together with a
    internal magnetic compass.

    Greetings, Urs

  4. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Urs Weder wrote:
    > MattB wrote:
    >> I've been thinking about a new GPS for a while, as well as a new bike
    >> computer (yes, I know some of you think they are stupid) and I see
    >> Garmin makes a couple of units designed to be bike computers. I like the
    >> idea, and it would make switching between bikes easier because I
    >> wouldn't have to remember to reset the wheel size.
    >> I'm thinking the Edge 205 would be plenty. The 305 also has a HRM and
    >> cadence sensor which I doubt I'd ever use.
    >> Any first-hand experiences out there?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Matt

    > Hi Matt,
    > i use the Edge 305 since 3 weeks. I use it together with the
    > cadence/wheel sensor which increases its reception highly especially
    > under tree canopy.
    > A "normal" GPS has reception problems under tree canopy. The Edge 305
    > compensates this with the reading from the wheel-sensor together with a
    > internal magnetic compass.
    >
    > Greetings, Urs

    That sounds pretty cool. Hmmm.... new toy in my future?

    Probably not since buying an SF home is going to kill any toy money.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  5. MattB

    MattB Guest

    GeeDubb wrote:

    > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> I've been thinking about a new GPS for a while, as well as a new bike
    >> computer (yes, I know some of you think they are stupid) and I see
    >> Garmin makes a couple of units designed to be bike computers. I like
    >> the idea, and it would make switching between bikes easier because I
    >> wouldn't have to remember to reset the wheel size.
    >> I'm thinking the Edge 205 would be plenty. The 305 also has a HRM and
    >> cadence sensor which I doubt I'd ever use.
    >> Any first-hand experiences out there?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Matt

    > no experience with this particular model but I use an Etrex Legend
    > (about $100 less expensive). In reading the Garmin website it seems
    > like there's not much difference other than the virtual racer function
    > and software that allows training input. All else appears to allow
    > similar inputs for mapping but not sure about the extent of allowable
    > mapping for say a car trip. Looks to have better reception capabilities
    > which is a plus since I've lost signal on tree canopy covered rides. I
    > don't like the internal LI battery and would rather have AA's but that's
    > just me. On a long week of mtbing the Li battery would need to be
    > recharged, sometimes not practical.

    I have an older Etrex too, and it's ok, but I wouldn't want to mount it
    on my handlebars (too bulky, too many menus to see your info).
    What looks appealing about the Edge is having all your typical
    information you'd have with a standard bike computer available at a
    glance. From what I've read it's no good for navigation, but I typically
    use a GPS to map my route afterwards anyway.
    The battery doesn't bother me, I kind of like the idea of the
    rechargeable. Now if it could do both that would be ideal. I think I
    have all the necessary stuff to build a travel charger hooked to a 3600
    mAh Li pack or my car that would travel well enough.

    > I wish my GPS had a USB interface since most of the newer computers
    > don't have serial ports any more.......can you say expensive adapter?

    Do you only have a laptop? If you have a desktop serial ports are cheap:
    <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815166003>

    Thanks for the info,

    Matt

  6. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    "Urs Weder" <[email protected]_hotmail_._com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > MattB wrote:
    > > I've been thinking about a new GPS for a while, as well as a new bike
    > > computer (yes, I know some of you think they are stupid) and I see
    > > Garmin makes a couple of units designed to be bike computers. I like the
    > > idea, and it would make switching between bikes easier because I
    > > wouldn't have to remember to reset the wheel size.
    > > I'm thinking the Edge 205 would be plenty. The 305 also has a HRM and
    > > cadence sensor which I doubt I'd ever use.
    > > Any first-hand experiences out there?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Matt

    > Hi Matt,
    > i use the Edge 305 since 3 weeks. I use it together with the
    > cadence/wheel sensor which increases its reception highly especially
    > under tree canopy.
    > A "normal" GPS has reception problems under tree canopy. The Edge 305
    > compensates this with the reading from the wheel-sensor together with a
    > internal magnetic compass.
    >
    > Greetings, Urs

    Are any of these in this price range with
    a "voice" to tell you to "turn left", "turn right",
    "go straight" etc?

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

  7. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Zilla wrote:
    > "Urs Weder" <[email protected]_hotmail_._com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> MattB wrote:
    >>> I've been thinking about a new GPS for a while, as well as a new bike
    >>> computer (yes, I know some of you think they are stupid) and I see
    >>> Garmin makes a couple of units designed to be bike computers. I like the
    >>> idea, and it would make switching between bikes easier because I
    >>> wouldn't have to remember to reset the wheel size.
    >>> I'm thinking the Edge 205 would be plenty. The 305 also has a HRM and
    >>> cadence sensor which I doubt I'd ever use.
    >>> Any first-hand experiences out there?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Matt

    >> Hi Matt,
    >> i use the Edge 305 since 3 weeks. I use it together with the
    >> cadence/wheel sensor which increases its reception highly especially
    >> under tree canopy.
    >> A "normal" GPS has reception problems under tree canopy. The Edge 305
    >> compensates this with the reading from the wheel-sensor together with a
    >> internal magnetic compass.
    >>
    >> Greetings, Urs

    > Are any of these in this price range with
    > a "voice" to tell you to "turn left", "turn right",
    > "go straight" etc?

    No. The handhelds don't do that with the exception of the model that is
    built into an iPaq or Palm. If your looking for a car unit, I suggest
    the TomTom 3000. It's a great little unit that even has bluetooth.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  8. SuperPoo

    SuperPoo Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've been thinking about a new GPS for a while, as well as a new bike
    > computer (yes, I know some of you think they are stupid) and I see Garmin
    > makes a couple of units designed to be bike computers. I like the idea,
    > and it would make switching between bikes easier because I wouldn't have
    > to remember to reset the wheel size.
    > I'm thinking the Edge 205 would be plenty. The 305 also has a HRM and
    > cadence sensor which I doubt I'd ever use.
    > Any first-hand experiences out there?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Matt

    I have been using an Edge 305 for 2 months now and I have been very pleased
    with it.

    The Edge is very good for recording gps data of your rides but is not so
    good for navigation. (It is a training aid/cycle computer) There are no
    maps, directions, ect. The only way to really navigate with the Edge are:
    backtracking, the compass and following loaded courses. Courses can be
    created from previous rides that you have done, this guys site/utility
    http://www.bradculberson.com/cc/map.html (he works for motionbased.com which
    is owned by Garmin) and soon you will be able to export other peoples rides
    as courses from www.motionbased.com . Motionbased has a very active Edge
    forum and is a good place to get up to speed on what the Edge will/wont do
    and known issues. (The Edge has user upgradeable firmware so as issues come
    up Garmin can release fixes-- in the two months I have had mine Garmin has
    two firmware upgrades.)

    I bought the whole 305 package with heart rate monitor and speed/cadence
    sensor. I really wanted the heart rate monitor-- I only got the cadence
    sensor because the bundle with everything was just a few bucks more. I am
    glad I did, I put the cadence sensor on my road bike where I have found it
    useful. I ride alternating between maintaining heart rate,speed and cadence.
    It is kinda fun on long rides, helps me mix things up a bit. On the mountain
    bike it works just the same-- only difference is it uses gps for speed and
    don't get a cadence reading.

    The unit comes with two handle bar mounts, usb cord and ac charger. The unit
    has a built in battery which is supposed to last 12 hours between
    charges.(Seems to) It can be set up for three different bikes. The display
    is highly user configurable and can display ride data (up to 16 fields on
    two screens), courses, compass, elevation profile, virtual partner and some
    other stuff I am forgetting.

    One of the advantages of the 305 over the 205, beside ability to use the HR
    and S/C sensors, is the 305 has a barometric altimeter. From what I have
    read barometric is greatly superior over gps for these things.

    The biggest issues I have had with the 305 are speed and distance spikes
    exiting tunnels and the virtual partner function in it's current
    configuration is useless. Garmin is aware of both-- the firmware release
    2.40 was to have fixed the speed/distance spikes. It did not-- but it is
    better. The vp issue has not been addressed yet. The vp runs based on data
    contained in a courses created from previous rides. If I had to stop on the
    previous ride the vp stops even though I may continuing on the current ride.
    It makes it very difficult to race if we are both stopping at different
    places and times. Supposed to be fixed in future releases.

    You can see some of my ride here www.bodenet.net/rides I had knee surgery
    over the winter (too many moguls over the years) so I have been mostly a
    roadie thus far this year. Below the maps should be links (if they are
    working-- motionbased has been having server issues) to my data on
    motionbased.com there you can see lap info, elevation, heart rate...... HTH

    Steve

  9. MattB

    MattB Guest

    SuperPoo wrote:
    <snip a ton of good stuff>

    > Steve

    Wow! That gives me a lot to think about. Thanks!

    Matt

  10. No I don't we live in a high tech cyber world. While your at it you
    can buy me one too. Not the bike I've got my hands full with them. LAST
    count was 8.

  11. daddy

    daddy Guest

    > That sounds pretty cool. Hmmm.... new toy in my future?
    >
    > Probably not since buying an SF home is going to kill any toy money.

    so you pulled the trigger? cool. good luck with the new position!

  12. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Zilla wrote:
    > > "Urs Weder" <[email protected]_hotmail_._com> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]

    the

    > >> Hi Matt,
    > >> i use the Edge 305 since 3 weeks. I use it together with the
    > >> cadence/wheel sensor which increases its reception highly especially
    > >> under tree canopy.
    > >> A "normal" GPS has reception problems under tree canopy. The Edge 305
    > >> compensates this with the reading from the wheel-sensor together with a
    > >> internal magnetic compass.
    > >>
    > >> Greetings, Urs

    > > Are any of these in this price range with
    > > a "voice" to tell you to "turn left", "turn right",
    > > "go straight" etc?
    > >

    > No. The handhelds don't do that with the exception of the model that is
    > built into an iPaq or Palm. If your looking for a car unit, I suggest
    > the TomTom 3000. It's a great little unit that even has bluetooth.
    >
    > --
    > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    > www.schnauzers.ws

    Ok thanks - I was looking for a handhed, or a bar-mounted one
    that did that. I wanted one for road riding.

    --
    - Zilla
    Cary, NC USA

  13. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > GeeDubb wrote:
    >>
    >> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>> I've been thinking about a new GPS for a while, as well as a new bike
    >>> computer (yes, I know some of you think they are stupid) and I see
    >>> Garmin makes a couple of units designed to be bike computers. I like the
    >>> idea, and it would make switching between bikes easier because I
    >>> wouldn't have to remember to reset the wheel size.
    >>> I'm thinking the Edge 205 would be plenty. The 305 also has a HRM and
    >>> cadence sensor which I doubt I'd ever use.
    >>> Any first-hand experiences out there?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Matt

    >> no experience with this particular model but I use an Etrex Legend (about
    >> $100 less expensive). In reading the Garmin website it seems like
    >> there's not much difference other than the virtual racer function and
    >> software that allows training input. All else appears to allow similar
    >> inputs for mapping but not sure about the extent of allowable mapping for
    >> say a car trip. Looks to have better reception capabilities which is a
    >> plus since I've lost signal on tree canopy covered rides. I don't like
    >> the internal LI battery and would rather have AA's but that's just me.
    >> On a long week of mtbing the Li battery would need to be recharged,
    >> sometimes not practical.
    >>

    > I have an older Etrex too, and it's ok, but I wouldn't want to mount it on
    > my handlebars (too bulky, too many menus to see your info).
    > What looks appealing about the Edge is having all your typical information
    > you'd have with a standard bike computer available at a glance. From what
    > I've read it's no good for navigation, but I typically use a GPS to map my
    > route afterwards anyway.
    > The battery doesn't bother me, I kind of like the idea of the
    > rechargeable. Now if it could do both that would be ideal. I think I have
    > all the necessary stuff to build a travel charger hooked to a 3600 mAh Li
    > pack or my car that would travel well enough.

    I guess I got use to my gps on the handlebars. I usually just leave it on
    the trip computer screen which shows everything my bike computer has w/o
    having to cycle through the different modes. The only thing the gps doesn't
    have is a total elevation gain reading (and cadence but who cares).

    >> I wish my GPS had a USB interface since most of the newer computers don't
    >> have serial ports any more.......can you say expensive adapter?
    >>

    > Do you only have a laptop? If you have a desktop serial ports are cheap:
    > <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815166003>

    I've got both and the dt has a sp but the new laptop I got did not so I had
    to buy a stupid adapter. It's a little inconvenient to drag along the ds on
    a road trip.........

    Gary

  14. Ride-A-Lot wrote:

    > No. The handhelds don't do that with the exception of the model that is
    > built into an iPaq or Palm. If your looking for a car unit, I suggest
    > the TomTom 3000. It's a great little unit that even has bluetooth.
    >
    > --
    > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    > www.schnauzers.ws

    Do you mean the TomTom GO 300? If so, it is a good device. I use the
    GO 700 and really like it. They just came out with two new devices as
    well that are supposed to be really solid, the 510 and 910.

  15. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >
    >> No. The handhelds don't do that with the exception of the model that is
    >> built into an iPaq or Palm. If your looking for a car unit, I suggest
    >> the TomTom 3000. It's a great little unit that even has bluetooth.
    >>
    >> --
    >> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    >> www.schnauzers.ws

    > Do you mean the TomTom GO 300? If so, it is a good device. I use the
    > GO 700 and really like it. They just came out with two new devices as
    > well that are supposed to be really solid, the 510 and 910.

    Yes. That's the one. The 910 is cool. I like the whole bluetooth
    handsfree calling that is integrated. Great units and great price.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  16. GeeDubb <[email protected]> wrote:

    : "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : news:[email protected]
    :> I've been thinking about a new GPS for a while, as well as a new bike
    :> computer (yes, I know some of you think they are stupid) and I see Garmin
    :> makes a couple of units designed to be bike computers. I like the idea,
    :> and it would make switching between bikes easier because I wouldn't have
    :> to remember to reset the wheel size.
    :> I'm thinking the Edge 205 would be plenty. The 305 also has a HRM and
    :> cadence sensor which I doubt I'd ever use.
    :> Any first-hand experiences out there?
    :>
    :> Thanks,
    :> Matt

    : no experience with this particular model but I use an Etrex Legend (about
    : $100 less expensive). In reading the Garmin website it seems like there's
    : not much difference other than the virtual racer function and software that
    : allows training input. All else appears to allow similar inputs for mapping
    : but not sure about the extent of allowable mapping for say a car trip.
    : Looks to have better reception capabilities which is a plus since I've lost
    : signal on tree canopy covered rides. I don't like the internal LI battery
    : and would rather have AA's but that's just me. On a long week of mtbing the
    : Li battery would need to be recharged, sometimes not practical.

    Just one comment here (I was reading this because I too am in the market for
    a new GPS, I have a old Garmin 12), for scout campouts where we are gone
    sometimes for a week at a time with no A/C, I carry one of those portable
    car jumper devices and a DC/AC converter (I don't have a car charger) so we
    can charge up our phones as needed (we use the phones as much as the
    talkabouts sometimes depending on terrain).

    http://sewelldirect.com/usbtoserial.asp is $17 for a USB to serial adapter.

    --
    John Nelson
    Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page

  17. GeeDubb

    GeeDubb Guest

    "Chicago Paddling-Fishing" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > : I wish my GPS had a USB interface since most of the newer computers
    > don't
    > : have serial ports any more.......can you say expensive adapter?
    >
    > http://sewelldirect.com/usbtoserial.asp is $17 for a USB to serial
    > adapter.
    >

    > --
    > John Nelson

    Ouch, now you tell me. I actually needed mine for a trip last summer and
    couldn't wait to order one (bought the computer the week I was leaving).
    Found one locally (CompUSA) for about $45.

    Thanks for the link, though. I need a usb-parallel adapter.

    Gary

  18. GeeDubb <[email protected]> wrote:

    : "Chicago Paddling-Fishing" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : news:[email protected]

    :>
    :> : I wish my GPS had a USB interface since most of the newer computers
    :> don't
    :> : have serial ports any more.......can you say expensive adapter?
    :>
    :> http://sewelldirect.com/usbtoserial.asp is $17 for a USB to serial
    :> adapter.
    :>
    :>
    :> --
    :> John Nelson

    : Ouch, now you tell me. I actually needed mine for a trip last summer and
    : couldn't wait to order one (bought the computer the week I was leaving).
    : Found one locally (CompUSA) for about $45.

    : Thanks for the link, though. I need a usb-parallel adapter.

    Well, I orderd a garmin vista Cx... i sort of liked the idea of not needing
    a PC to change maps (it uses mini-SD cards so you can load it via PC or
    with a pre-programmed card). I got one map card that covers my state and
    several more...

    Meanwhile... I found my old Magellan 2000, loaded new batteries in it and
    took the dog for a walk around the park.. I think the park is .25 to .5 miles
    if you take the sidewalk however, it seems to think I walked 27.6 miles...
    (maybe old 3 channel GPS's aren't so good anymore).