Anyone used a rearview camera?

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
It seems like a good idea - I haven't yet found a good mirror system. And I have some trouble turning my neck due to osteoarthritis. I was looking at the Owl 360 and the Cerevellum. But I also think I could possibly adapt a car system, which would have night vision that the bike cameras lack. Thoughts, guys?

THAT's a great query ...

Because, I had no idea that the two competing products were available ... I think that the rear view camera is a good idea whose time has probably come ...

But, the MSRP which I saw for Cerevellum seems a bit steep ($299) ... so, if you eventually-or-immediately want the optional features (which might certainly valuable to some people) then it's probably just a question of making it fit one's budget ...

Consequently, between the two, I would choose the apparently bare-bones OWL 360 ($199).

FWIW. Before knowing that "commercial" rear view cameras were available for bicycles, I wondered how difficult-or-easy would be to cobble something together as a DIY project because if It is a good idea for automobiles then it is also probably a good idea & inevitable product for people who use mirrors when cycling ...

• a few months ago, I had also given the idea of jury-rigging an existing automobile's rear view camera system to a bike ...
  • BUT, the cost would be high for an experiment (i.e., 'I' don't have a need, but the cost would not be high if I felt that I had a need)
  • plus, some of the logistics are an issue (at least, in my mind) ... the power supply, of course ...
  • the mounting system -- semi-permanent OR removable.
  • but, a wise shopper can probably cobble something together, piecemeal, for a relatively modest price ...
  • BUT, it will then be a question of waterproofing (or, not?!?) ...
  • heck, I feel like resurrecting my "project" just to see how economically that I can do it ... alternatives [COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]to using an existing automobile rear view camera system have definitely come to mind ...[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]WHERE'S MY SOLDERING IRON?[/COLOR]

In other words, IMO, it is DEFINITELY doable with off-the-shelf "stuff" & worth doing if YOU have the need but not a fat enough wallet.

BTW. I have seen people use what appears to be TWO (one for each side) long stem motorcycle (?) mirrors ... definitely, a less expensive & almost as efficient a system if you don't mind the appearance and/or added aerodynamic drag.

Love this mirror

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LVHZ4O/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1