Anyone Used Zipp 404 or Campy Eurus Wheelsets?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ted B, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Ted B

Ted B New Member

Anyone have experience riding either of these two wheelsets?

I am caught in a quandry in deciding between the Campy Eurus set (clincher), or going out on a limb for the more adventurous Zipp 404 tubular set. The intended application will be primarily for serious, more competitive riding on my dream bike (Bianchi EV4/Record).

My initial estimation is that the Eurus is about as close to a do-it-all wheel as one can find (especially for that price), and I read nothing but glowing reports about them. I am a bit tempted however to go to the deeper profile, lighter Zipp 404 tubular set (for an additional $400). I would consider the American Classic version (uses the same Zipp rim), but are these really worth an extra $350 for the different hubs?

Since my current training bike has Mavic Open Pros, I may eventually get both (relegating the Eurus to my EV2/Chorus trainer), but that's a bit more than I want to chew initially.

Thoughts anyone?

Tags:

2. blip

blip New Member

I have zipp 303 tubular wheels. They are simply the fastest wheelset I can imagine. That said they are race wheels and I just have a set of 32 hole campag hub bangers on the training bike. If you have a set of open pros keep them and get the 404 or 303 tubulars and you will be dropping people like a bad idea.

3. Ted B

Ted B New Member

I appreciate the response and your advice with regard to your experience with those wheels is duly noted.

As it turns out, I just fell upon a very clean set of used Campy 2003 Hyperons for the same price I would have paid for the Zipps, so I jumped on them. I don't know if anyone here has had the opportunity to ride these (they're not cheap!!)....?