Anyone Using Erythritol?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bev-Ann, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. Bev-Ann

    Bev-Ann Guest

    Health Canada has finally approved erythritol for use in Canada and I want
    to order some for baking. I've been using a combination of DiabetiSweet
    and liquid sucralose (Sweetzfree), but the isomalt in the DiabetiSweet
    gives me terrible gas so I can't use much of it and the texture of the
    finished product isn't what it should be. I want to use erythritol to
    replace all the sugar called for in my recipes to get the right texture.
    Since it's only 70% as sweet as sugar, I'd have to continue to use some
    sucralose with it, which is fine.
    Now here's the question; how much sucralose would I use to make up the
    needed 30% sweetness? I know that erythritol is synergistic with
    high-intensity sweeteners like sucralose, so I can't just add 30%
    sucralose.
    Another question; I've read that erythritol has a "cooling" effect when
    used alone. Will adding only a tiny amount of sucralose to a cup of
    erythritol be enough to offset this?

    TIA,
    -----
    Bev

    Tags:

  2. Mogget

    Mogget Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Bev-Ann
    <[email protected]> writes
    >I want to use erythritol to
    >replace all the sugar called for in my recipes to get the right texture.
    >Since it's only 70% as sweet as sugar, I'd have to continue to use some
    >sucralose with it, which is fine.

    Hmmm. Why not get used to things being only 70% as sweet as you
    remember? Have you actually tried this already? You might find that,
    presumably being a sugar-free low carber, your sensitivity to sweet
    flavours is greater these days.

    I'd like some erythritol too. Can you please post a link to somewhere I
    can buy it?
    --
    Mogget

  3. Bev-Ann

    Bev-Ann Guest

    That might be an option if the "cooling" effect of the erythritol doesn't
    ruin the taste of the product. I haven't used sugar, except in my baking,
    since Splenda was introduced in the mid-eighties so my tolerance for sweet
    things is already pretty low. :)

    on Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:40:53 GMT, Mogget <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hmmm. Why not get used to things being only 70% as sweet as you
    >remember? Have you actually tried this already? You might find that,
    >presumably being a sugar-free low carber, your sensitivity to sweet
    >flavours is greater these days.
    >
    >I'd like some erythritol too. Can you please post a link to somewhere I
    >can buy it?

    -----
    Bev

  4. Bev-Ann

    Bev-Ann Guest

  5. revek

    revek Guest

    Bev-Ann wrote:
    > That might be an option if the "cooling" effect of the erythritol
    > doesn't ruin the taste of the product.

    The cooling effect is much like the *sensation* of mint only much much
    milder. It's hardly noticable in most things, and it's even less noticable
    if you blend with other sweeteners. There is no flavor involved -- just
    adds a tiny touch of a cool tingle. I noticed it mainly in chocolate where
    I used pure erythritol and a lot of it.

    --
    revek
    For the low, LOW price of $19.95 these opinions can be yours too!

  6. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    Does it have a laxative effect?

    "Bev-Ann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Health Canada has finally approved erythritol for use in Canada and I want
    > to order some for baking. I've been using a combination of DiabetiSweet
    > and liquid sucralose (Sweetzfree), but the isomalt in the DiabetiSweet
    > gives me terrible gas so I can't use much of it and the texture of the
    > finished product isn't what it should be. I want to use erythritol to
    > replace all the sugar called for in my recipes to get the right texture.
    > Since it's only 70% as sweet as sugar, I'd have to continue to use some
    > sucralose with it, which is fine.
    > Now here's the question; how much sucralose would I use to make up the
    > needed 30% sweetness? I know that erythritol is synergistic with
    > high-intensity sweeteners like sucralose, so I can't just add 30%
    > sucralose.
    > Another question; I've read that erythritol has a "cooling" effect when
    > used alone. Will adding only a tiny amount of sucralose to a cup of
    > erythritol be enough to offset this?
    >
    > TIA,
    > -----
    > Bev

  7. FOB

    FOB Guest

  8. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

  9. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

  10. Bev-Ann

    Bev-Ann Guest

    It's the only SA that's been scientifically proven to have no laxative
    effect. Only 5% is digested, the other 95% is eliminated in your urine
    within 24 hours of consuming it. They don't say how it that might affect
    the kidneys, but it's a far better alternative to all the others out there.

    on Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:01:00 -0800, Saffire
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I haven't had any problems with it.

    -----
    Bev