Anyone Using SPD-SL's

mhraxo

Feb 5, 2006
I recently switched from SPD cleats on execustar shoes to SPD-SL cleats on diadora team racer shoes, it seems like the SL cleats are to far front on my foot. I have them positioned as far back on the shoe as possible. The spd cleats seemed to be further back and stressed my calves less. I know the executar shoes were cheap **** though, i bought them last year when i first started riding cause i wasnt sure about wearing shoes so maybe i never had my cleats positioned right to begin with. The new setup with the SL's seems to be just barely behind the ball of my foot,at least thats how it feels and it seems to work my calves more when riding. Anyone else experience this?.....is this how my cleats should be?

mhraxo said:
I recently switched from SPD cleats on execustar shoes to SPD-SL cleats on diadora team racer shoes, it seems like the SL cleats are to far front on my foot. I have them positioned as far back on the shoe as possible. The spd cleats seemed to be further back and stressed my calves less. I know the executar shoes were cheap **** though, i bought them last year when i first started riding cause i wasnt sure about wearing shoes so maybe i never had my cleats positioned right to begin with. The new setup with the SL's seems to be just barely behind the ball of my foot,at least thats how it feels and it seems to work my calves more when riding. Anyone else experience this?.....is this how my cleats should be?
I found this on my new Specialized Comp shoes and SPD-SLs - the cleat is as far back as it will go. I've also only ever used SPD myself so it felt a bit odd at first.

Neil

I have them right under the ball of my foot which means they are pretty much as far rearward as they will go on the carnac shoes. They are in the perfect position and don't stress out any muscle in particular, but I do notice that I can make certain muscles work out more by forcing them to.

If you have a particular muscle that's copping it more than the others, I'd concentrate on coasting on the pedal stroke that targets that muscle and then concentrate on the rest of the stroke maxing out the rest of the muscles.