Anyone want to get together and do a group deal?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rincon, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Rincon

    Rincon Guest

    Tags:

  2. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Rincon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > FS: bike store contents 20k for $3800.00

    >Anyone want to get together and do a group deal?

    > http://members.cox.net/tazu/bike.htm

    What, and fight over the contents? Doesn't sound very workable, unless you can find a good way to
    split it up and haul it. Sweet deal for the right person, though. I'd like to see what frames are
    buried in there.

    -Barry

  3. Looks like my garage. I must start selling some stuff over ebay.
    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear and our M5 tandem.

  4. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "Rincon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> FS: bike store contents 20k for $3800.00
    >
    >>Anyone want to get together and do a group deal?
    >
    >> http://members.cox.net/tazu/bike.htm
    >
    > What, and fight over the contents? Doesn't sound very workable, unless you can find a good way to
    > split it up and haul it. Sweet deal for the right person, though. I'd like to see what frames are
    > buried in there.
    >
    > -Barry

    Not a very good description of what is here. There might be a few thousand in obsolete coaster brake
    hub parts, $10,000 worth of Mafac left side only brake arms. (~:

  5. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > "Rincon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> FS: bike store contents 20k for $3800.00
    > >
    > >>Anyone want to get together and do a group deal?
    > >
    > >> http://members.cox.net/tazu/bike.htm
    > >
    > > What, and fight over the contents? Doesn't sound very workable, unless you can find a good way
    > > to split it up and haul it. Sweet deal for the right person, though. I'd like to see what frames
    > > are buried in there.
    > >
    > > -Barry
    > >

    > Not a very good description of what is here. There might be a few thousand in obsolete coaster
    > brake hub parts, $10,000 worth of Mafac left side only brake arms. (~:

    Heh. Yeah, that's kinda what I thought, too.

    -Barry

  6. rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > "Rincon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> FS: bike store contents 20k for $3800.00
    >
    > >>Anyone want to get together and do a group deal?
    >
    > >> http://members.cox.net/tazu/bike.htm
    > >
    > > What, and fight over the contents? Doesn't sound very workable, unless you can find a good way
    > > to split it up and haul it. Sweet deal for the right person, though. I'd like to see what frames
    > > are buried in there.
    > >
    > > -Barry
    > >

    > Not a very good description of what is here. There might be a few thousand in obsolete coaster
    > brake hub parts, $10,000 worth of Mafac left side only brake arms. (~:

    Hey!!! I live in Mesa. If I had a clue what bicycle parts where worth, I could go check it out.
    What's a Mafac??? Would it sell on E-Bay?

  7. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Dear Junk Collectors, Contents of my garage excluding Corsa for sale $2,900, or I will pay you big
    bucks to haul away.
    --
    ~ Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > >
    > > > "Rincon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > What, and fight over the contents? Doesn't sound very workable, unless you can find a good way
    > > > to split it up and haul it. Sweet deal for the right person, though. I'd like to see what
    > > > frames are buried in there.
    > > >
    > > > -Barry
    > > >

    > > Not a very good description of what is here. There might be a few
    thousand
    > > in obsolete coaster brake hub parts, $10,000 worth of Mafac left side
    only
    > > brake arms. (~:
    >
    > Heh. Yeah, that's kinda what I thought, too.
    >
    > -Barry

  8. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (William Meacham) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...

    >> Not a very good description of what is here. There might be a few thousand in obsolete coaster
    >> brake hub parts, $10,000 worth of Mafac left side only brake arms. (~:
    >
    > Hey!!! I live in Mesa. If I had a clue what bicycle parts where worth, I could go check it out.
    > What's a Mafac??? Would it sell on E-Bay?

    Mafac was(is?) a brand of dubious center-pull-brake used on just about every french ten speed in the
    70s. A left brake arm would be of little use without the right. The point being that the advert
    assigns a $ value that would be difficult to asses if it is realistic(i.e.:do you stand any chance
    of selling the stuff at the value indicated?). Actually , old bike parts do sell on e-bay. But I am
    no expert on what is collectible.

    rorschandt

  9. French? I always thought MAFAC was Italian because every Campy equipped Italian Racer I ever
    encountered (lots btw) had a MAFAC toolcase. Guess it could've been French..just assummed. Oh Well
    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Xns930AA109965D4rorscha[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (William Meacham) wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    >

    > >> Not a very good description of what is here. There might be a few thousand in obsolete coaster
    > >> brake hub parts, $10,000 worth of Mafac left side only brake arms. (~:
    > >
    > > Hey!!! I live in Mesa. If I had a clue what bicycle parts where worth, I could go check it out.
    > > What's a Mafac??? Would it sell on E-Bay?
    > >

    > Mafac was(is?) a brand of dubious center-pull-brake used on just about every french ten speed in
    > the 70s. A left brake arm would be of little use without the right. The point being that the
    > advert assigns a $ value that would be difficult to asses if it is realistic(i.e.:do you stand any
    chance
    > of selling the stuff at the value indicated?). Actually , old bike parts
    do
    > sell on e-bay. But I am no expert on what is collectible.
    >
    > rorschandt

  10. "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:3e2de9ca$0$23507[email protected]...
    > I am however somewhat of a packrat. I strip damaged medium to high grade components and save it.
    > Some people are amazed to find that I have a cable anchor for a Shimano Crane deraileur or some
    > other way out stuff. I'd venture to say that this is the remains
    after
    > the vultures and buzzards like me got done with it.

    I just love that kind of shops - recently i picked up original brakepads for my 7400 Dura Ace's in
    one of those. NOBODY else had them.. I bought 8 pads - well the brakes are not that good, but i
    kinda like the looks..

    Keep up the good work.

    Torben

  11. Bentjay

    Bentjay Guest

    I love that question: "What's a Mafac?" I guess you children are also too young to remember that
    there were three different thread standards: French, Italian and English. Only the English
    threading survived because the Japanese adopted that standard. Ooo, that Peugeot PX-10 I used to
    own with it's Mafac brakes and plastic deraillers. At least it gave me a little taste of what a
    deluxe df was all about...

    BentJay

  12. Its very hard to tell what your getting. Usually when a shop closes, what is left is the product
    that has been picked over. Three years ago I picked over the remains of a shop and since I know what
    I'm looking at I got some good stuff for ten cents on a wholesale dollar. What was left was sold in
    a take all, one price deal. The person that bought it came to me and tried to sell it. Duh... Its
    very hard to estimate the actual worth of a storage unit of stuff. If it were I, would put all of
    the good stuff up front. I purchased portions of shops inventory in the past. The best stuff that is
    left over after the "going out of business sale" is in the small parts bins. I'm still using stuff I
    bought in 1990. I just threw out all my MAFAC brake stuff...its such crap. I am however somewhat of
    a packrat. I strip damaged medium to high grade components and save it. Some people are amazed to
    find that I have a cable anchor for a Shimano Crane deraileur or some other way out stuff. I'd
    venture to say that this is the remains after the vultures and buzzards like me got done with it.
    Sorry to say but I believe its estimated or actual...1700 bike shops went out of business last year.
    Is that about right John Reilly? Scary....The outlook is not good. With constant pressure from the
    big boxes and internet/mail order guys there will be more of these sales this year.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (William Meacham) wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    >

    > >> Not a very good description of what is here. There might be a few thousand in obsolete coaster
    > >> brake hub parts, $10,000 worth of Mafac left side only brake arms. (~:
    > >
    > > Hey!!! I live in Mesa. If I had a clue what bicycle parts where worth, I could go check it out.
    > > What's a Mafac??? Would it sell on E-Bay?
    > >

    > Mafac was(is?) a brand of dubious center-pull-brake used on just about every french ten speed in
    > the 70s. A left brake arm would be of little use without the right. The point being that the
    > advert assigns a $ value that would be difficult to asses if it is realistic(i.e.:do you stand any
    chance
    > of selling the stuff at the value indicated?). Actually , old bike parts
    do
    > sell on e-bay. But I am no expert on what is collectible.
    >
    > rorschandt

  13. BentJay, OW am I that old? I sold many a PX-10 series with them famous plastic Simplex derailleurs.
    Wife and I had a GITANE Tandem with MAFAC/Simplex and a drum brake complete with the MAFAC double
    cable rear lever, even with this rig they couldn't stop us. I scrapped the brakes in fact I just
    threw them away last week. We rode this until we got an 88' Burley Duet and then got a Santana
    Soverign. Then an E2 and soon possibly a tandem trike. We will also have one of the first EZ Tandems
    to play with. Ah... the days of yesteryear. First bent I ever rode...USS Infinity.
    1981/82? Chromed square tubing.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "BentJay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I love that question: "What's a Mafac?" I guess you children are also too young to remember that
    > there were three different thread standards: French, Italian and English. Only the English
    > threading survived because the Japanese adopted that standard. Ooo, that Peugeot PX-10 I used to
    > own with it's Mafac brakes and plastic deraillers. At least it gave me a little taste of what a
    > deluxe df was all about...
    >
    > BentJay

  14. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Well, I don't know what MAFAC is, although I can guess it's an obsolete French company. My wife
    still has her 'college bike', a CCM Mistral from the heyday of the road bike, complete with its
    original Simplex derailleurs and Weinmann centerpull brakes with suicide levers. Yucch!

  15. Donn Cave

    Donn Cave Guest

    Quoth [email protected] (BentJay):
    | I love that question: "What's a Mafac?" I guess you children are also too young to remember that
    | there were three different thread standards: French, Italian and English. Only the English
    | threading survived because the Japanese adopted that standard. Ooo, that Peugeot PX-10 I used to
    | own with it's Mafac brakes and plastic deraillers. At least it gave me a little taste of what a
    | deluxe df was all about...

    Hey, I think mine was a PU08. I loved the Mafac brakes, would have liked them even without the
    plastic sleeved brake lever handles.

    Donn

  16. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    I figured this was a natural for Sheldon Brown. He did not disappoint. He has exploded drawings!
    (scroll down.)

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/mafac.html

    My recollection was that in the day, Mafacs were the only cantilever brakes available. Don't see
    those on this page though.

    John Riley